2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

I know, I was being sarcastic as whenever the NHL gets pressed on this issue they distract people with goalie changes or some other diversion to get the heat off.

NHL is lucky it's not as relevant as the other sports because it would be under the same pressure the NFL faces.

that’s a fact lol. let’s make gloves smaller as shots are getting harder and faster!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

No need to apologize Southy, I have nothing against you or @TheGoalNet repeating something you heard in this instance — I'm just skeptical of the rumor, personally. And I don't think anyone here would disagree that the way the NHL handles concussions is less than ideal. I might even go out on a limb and say that they're terrible at it ;)

Nah I felt like I needed to apologize as spreading rumors like that can go the wrong way, I’m glad you guys didn’t take it the wrong way. Thanks though 

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I am happy to share that my info came from someone inside hockey who would know this sort of thing, but again... I have no idea if its fact or not. I only chimed in again to confirm this was a not guy running his mouth after a pick up game with "inside" knowledge of Crawford

5 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

@Moose75 not even in terms of equipment, I meant how the nhl has been handling it.

@stackem30 @dualshowman again, it’s just a rumor, I never stated it as fact. I still think the way nhl handles concussions isn’t ideal. I apologize for even bringing it up

Not at all intending to be challenging or sling crap at anyone. @southpawtendy48  doesn't need to apologize for anything, and @TheGoalNet is relaying info with a disclaimer. I appreciate both and all contribution the conversation. I was simply stating my opinion based entirely on the way the organization handled Crawford's recovery.  I have to believe that that they did all they could for Crawford and continue to do so. I'm not sure that diagnosing a concussion is as straight-forward as we'd all probably like it to be, so I cannot find the path to the logic of providing less than stellar care for any player, let alone one that is as important as your #1 goaltender. 

If my thinking to too optimistic, then the NHL, the owners, and the NHLPA need to do whatever they can to provide care. Clearly, not enough preventative measures are being instituted.

2 hours ago, dualshowman said:

Not at all intending to be challenging or sling crap at anyone. @southpawtendy48  doesn't need to apologize for anything, and @TheGoalNet is relaying info with a disclaimer. I appreciate both and all contribution the conversation. I was simply stating my opinion based entirely on the way the organization handled Crawford's recovery.  I have to believe that that they did all they could for Crawford and continue to do so. I'm not sure that diagnosing a concussion is as straight-forward as we'd all probably like it to be, so I cannot find the path to the logic of providing less than stellar care for any player, let alone one that is as important as your #1 goaltender. 

If my thinking to too optimistic, then the NHL, the owners, and the NHLPA need to do whatever they can to provide care. Clearly, not enough preventative measures are being instituted.

This conversation was constructive as it should be when there’s differing thoughts. Everything here is good with me. 

Like @stackem30 , I’m synnical of the level of support for concussions. I think of some of it is ignorance. I think the owners assume the Drs know what they are doing and trust the league to impliment protocols. 

Every player with a concussion is not seeing the global leader in head injuries, they’re relying on local physicians. Are these Drs spending every waking moment on latest concussion therapies? I’m clearly being a bit dramatic to make an argument, but if just feels like more could be done. Especially because money is not an issue here 

I did a lot of thinking last night about the suggestions that the Hawks staff let Crawford down, didn't do their job, etc. I had a few thoughts I was compelled to write down...

I think when you're in the middle of one of instances when people are attempting to change a culture, it's very easy (and understandable) to point the finger at specific teams, doctors, and people who are not falling in line, not embracing it, not understanding what needs to be done. And I'm not saying the Hawks or their staff should not be held accountable (at least in the court of public opinion) for any oversights or ignorant decisions that may have put Crawford's health at risk. But I do think this is one of those instances where once we're a decade or two out, we'll all look back at this and see it as a big-picture problem that it is:

The NHL has swept head injuries under the rug for decades, and now that the issue can no longer be ignored, they are entirely ill-equipped to turn things around quickly or effectively. The league is trying to get their arms around the issue, but they're not sure how, and I don't see it happening very quickly.

I was recently reading a bit about the sweeping changes in mental health facilities in the 20th century, and how long it took for things to improve. It's a lot like the NHL and concussions, in the larger sense. The realization that most of these facilities were cruel, inhuman, and not at all conducive to recovery became apparent to the point that pretty much nobody with eyes and a brain could deny that reform was necessary. But there was a lot of push-back from doctors/organizations who thought things were fine as they were, or that the new direction was unnecessary and overly-sensitive. These people resisted change, and patients continued to suffer under their watch. Make no mistake, many of them were ignorant to a fault, and some of them were downright villainous. But in truth, even the people with the best intentions didn't really know what to do. They made improvements where they could, and slowly and surely, they began to take hold... but it took a long time for the culture to collectively understand what needs to be done, and get its arms around the problem. 

Now, when we look back, we don't necessarily focus on the particular asylums and facilities that dragged their feet. We don't immediately think of the specific doctors who brushed off reform, and the patients whose lives were ruined under their watch. Instead, we are left with a broader sense of the situation: the entire mental health community had to completely upend their sense of purpose and way of doing things, and because they didn't fully understand what needed to be done or how to do it, it took a long time for the changes to take root. In short, "Damn, we didn't really know what the hell we were doing."

I think when we look back, we'll find the same thing can be said about the NHL and head injuries. There are probably scores of morons working for teams who still think a lot of this stuff is pseudo-science or players being "soft", and unfortunately, these people will slow the process until they eventually leave the game and are replaced by those who do understand the issue. And while I'm sure there are a ton of ignorant, neglectful people in the league who aren't taking this seriously, a lot of it probably isn't so nefarious. I'm sure there are teams and people that are sincerely trying their best to help protect the players and their health, and they just don't know how best to do it... yet.

So yes, there are probably more than a few people in the Hawks organization we could point the finger at for Crawford's problems. And if there is concrete evidence that they failed to do their jobs and protect Crawford, they should be fired, and the Hawks organization fined. They are responsible. But it's just the tip of the iceberg, and when we look back at this concussion saga (the lawsuits, the rules, the way it's affected the game, etc.) decades from now, nobody will remember the Hawks staff from 2017-2019 who didn't bother to have a concussion spotter. Instead, I think we'll be left with a broader sense of the issue: by the time the 2010's came along, we realized the NHL had NO idea how to truly, effectively address head injuries and player safety, and players continued to suffer while the league tried to play catchup and get its arms around the issue. 

TL;DR: The Blackhawks organization may have dropped the ball on Crawford, and while they should be held responsible, they are merely part of the larger issue of the NHL being unprepared, unequipped, and unsure of how to address head injuries. Some day, we'll all look back and realize the degree to which this problem transcended a few ignorant organizations or people. 

More of Johnson's paint over gear:

Before:

st-louis-blues-goalie-chad-johnson-durin

After:

USATSI_11869011-1024x683.jpg

You can see they painted the yellow nylon on the back of his catch glove too. Still rocking the Blues stick. Glad they didn't do the lame city tape over of the mask. Amazes me that how often today's goalies change gear and masks, that they don't have a spare plain mask ready to go.

The paint on his Blues mask is great. I hope they don't mess that up so that he could keep it for a collection.

Wait, was he using a home and away mask with the Blues? Love that.

Haha I thought that was paint when I saw the game on tv, seems very old-school, why wouldn't the Ducks EM just a have a supply of pad wrap /skinz on hand like most other teams??

I don't know the details of Crawford's injury last year, but thats a great post on the slow realities of trying to change a culture @stackem30 . I think in 20 years even the 90's / 2000's NHL approach to head injuries will seem prehistoric to most of us, like how the attitudes have changed to smoking in a relatively short period of time - seems crazy to me now that as a kid (80's) I'd see people smoking on a train or bus, or that just over 10 years ago I could smoke in a bar or club. 

And to keep it gear sitings related, here's Mrazek's new Whalers gear:

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 16.17.04.png

39 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

Haha I thought that was paint when I saw the game on tv, seems very old-school, why wouldn't the Ducks EM just a have a supply of pad wrap /skinz on hand like most other teams??

I don't know the details of Crawford's injury last year, but thats a great post on the slow realities of trying to change a culture @stackem30 . I think in 20 years even the 90's / 2000's NHL approach to head injuries will seem prehistoric to most of us, like how the attitudes have changed to smoking in a relatively short period of time - seems crazy to me now that as a kid (80's) I'd see people smoking on a train or bus, or that just over 10 years ago I could smoke in a bar or club. 

Wow.  Do we know when they are wearing these?

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Falls into the old thread of 'Old Gear - New Team'.

Pad skinz? Nah! Krylon!

Truthfully, I don't like that NHL guys are using Padskinz (or Krylon). Remember the thread on GSBB with pictures of recently traded/called-up goalies with gear didn't match their new uniforms? It was all kind of beautiful in a kitschy, mis-matched way. I miss it! Plus, gear is so easy to break in these days, and any major manufacturer can throw together a new set for a goalie the day they're traded. It shouldn't be too long before the goalie has their new matching gear, so let us enjoy the ugliness in the brief stage in between ✊

Edit: Of course you remember the thread on GSBB, cause you uh, mentioned it by name in your very brief post. Whoops.

3 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Truthfully, I don't like that NHL guys are using Padskinz (or Krylon). Remember the thread on GSBB with pictures of recently traded/called-up goalies with gear didn't match their new uniforms? It was all kind of beautiful in a kitschy, mis-matched way. I miss it! Plus, gear is so easy to break in these days, and any major manufacturer can throw together a new set for a goalie the day they're traded. It shouldn't be too long before the goalie has their new matching gear, so let us enjoy the ugliness in the brief stage in between ✊

Edit: Of course you remember the thread on GSBB, cause you uh, mentioned it by name in your very brief post. Whoops.

I may have even started that thread.

For some reason, Osgood's Detroit gear with the Isles is my go-to "New Team, Old Gear" reference, despite the fact that it's not as crazy a clash like Belfour's hawks gear in San Jose ^^^. If I recall correctly, Ozzie kept his Detroit stuff for a longgg time compared to most goalies, and was slow to replace the pieces. First he got a navy helmet... then new pants... then a new stick.... then new gloves... finally, he ditched the red Vaughn Visions. I even want to say the NHL fined (or threatened to fine) Osgood/the Islanders after a while. I do remember people joking that it was him openly signaling that he never wanted to leave Detroit (who can blame him, back then).

1 hour ago, raucebyalien said:

Love the pads... But my OCD makes it seem like the blocker is mismatched.  Note the Navy quickslide 

48380221_1947055382076240_1433973225175384064_n.thumb.jpg.6512826ff727c7c9613ea1e96d48777f.jpg

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Love the pads... But my OCD makes it seem like the blocker is mismatched.  Note the Navy quickslide 

48380221_1947055382076240_1433973225175384064_n.thumb.jpg.6512826ff727c7c9613ea1e96d48777f.jpg

Is the quickslide to help Mrazek get out of position even faster? Jk jk...sorta lol. I love how shiny quickslide stuff does. I want a pair of full silver quickslide and go full pimp setup. 

On a salty note; this Whalers fetish needs to end. They weren't even a good franchise and Hartford is a crap city for sports.

3 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

Is the quickslide to help Mrazek get out of position even faster? Jk jk...sorta lol. I love how shiny quickslide stuff does. I want a pair of full silver quickslide and go full pimp setup. 

On a salty note; this Whalers fetish needs to end. They weren't even a good franchise and Hartford is a crap city for sports.

....but they have great colors and a great logo.

14 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

I spy blue quickslide/primo. Hopefully this means that new colors of it will become available to order from Vaughn and/or Brian's, instead of just the current white/black/silver.

28 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

I certainly won't speak for former Whalers fans, but for the rest of people, I'm pretty sure the fetishization starts and stops with their uniform.... nobody likes the Whalers because of how good they were, or how fun a city Hartford is!

The logo is, in my opinion, flawless, and among the best in the history of pro sports. Even the old secondary logos (the smiling whale) have a ton of charm. And the colors are great (green is still criminally underused around the league, and looked handsome when paired with navy). The team no longer exists, so any hockey fan can wear their stuff without feeling like they're betraying the team. Finally, the team itself was generally so inept and such a failure that they've become an ironic, tongue-in-cheek fan favorite. Everyone feels a little bad for the hapless Whalers and the fans they left behind. Plus, did they Whalers ever defeat anyone's favorite team in any meaningful, significant circumstances? Probably not haha...

So, we've got the following elements:

• Interesting/original name
  • Fantastic logos
  • Great colors
  • Defunct team
  • Sympathetic history

Combine all those things, and you have a combination for a throwback phenomenon so perfect, it sounds like it was developed in a lab. And since the Hurricanes have an excuse to exploit that for major $$$, they will. I get a bit tired of it too, but I get why the fetishization endures.

17 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I certainly won't speak for former Whalers fans, but for the rest of people, I'm pretty sure the fetishization starts and stops with their uniform.... nobody likes the Whalers because of how good they were, or how fun a city Hartford is!

The logo is, in my opinion, flawless, and among the best in the history of pro sports. Even the old secondary logos (the smiling whale) have a ton of charm. And the colors are great (green is still criminally underused around the league, and looked handsome when paired with navy). The team no longer exists, so any hockey fan can wear their stuff without feeling like they're betraying the team. Finally, the team itself was generally so inept and such a failure that they've become an ironic, tongue-in-cheek fan favorite. Everyone feels a little bad for the hapless Whalers and the fans they left behind. Plus, did they Whalers ever defeat anyone's favorite team in any meaningful, significant circumstances? Probably not haha...

So, we've got the following elements:

• Interesting/original name
  • Fantastic logos
  • Great colors
  • Defunct team
  • Sympathetic history

Combine all those things, and you have a combination for a throwback phenomenon so perfect, it sounds like it was developed in a lab. And since the Hurricanes have an excuse to exploit that for major $$$, they will. I get a bit tired of it too, but I get why the fetishization endures.

Excellent analysis. I bet the Blue Jackets will be that some day. Their old bee logo jersey especially.

On 12/18/2018 at 4:16 PM, raucebyalien said:

I know they're all over the internet already...but just too good not to repost here:

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 00.10.55.png

I think I'm the only one who absolutely hates these. They look way too busy. 

On 12/17/2018 at 8:36 AM, stackem30 said:

Corey Crawford appreciation post. He got run into last night, and he bashed his head on the crossbar pretty badly. Given his recent difficult recovery and his general history, I think it's very possible that this could be the end of the line for him. I hope I'm mistaken. He was a goalie who I wrote as an un-athletic guy who was just riding his teams' coattails early on in his career. I was very mistaken -- if anything, I came to realize how underrated he was, and how critical he was to Chicago's success.

Anyway, as far as gear appreciation goes, Corey had some decent sets over the years, particularly considering some of the boring/unappealing graphics Reebok/CCM has trotted out over the last decade. It was nice to see him gravitate towards black-based gear in recent years. 

corey-crawford-injury.thumb.jpg.1c4b59a1f86ff6f2a95da231f4f85ed4.jpg

I was thinking of doing something like this. Primarily black with red insides. I was thinking of doing just a trio of stripes, like on the blackhawks pants, along the inner side of the outer rolls, and that's it. 

Archived