Brown Chest Protector Thread

5 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I am a self proclaimed Brown fanboy and this sounds like total BS to me.  I had my elbow floaters trimmed down and there is no sacrifice anywhere.  I even had the inside panel on both elbow floaters removed and still haven't had issues.  As much as I do love John's c/a his elbow floater design is terrible.

I'm a big fan of what they're doing over there at Brown, which is why I contacted them to do this in the first place. I'd rather support the little guys when I can. John wasn't rude in his contact with me but it was just strange being lectured by him about how NHL spec isn't safe, etc etc. The lady I was dealing with after was also very nice and apologetic but I was still getting the vibe that I'm the only average joe that ever requested the NHL spec from them, they seemed rather confused as to why I wanted to ditch my Russian spec c/a for a streamlined one. 

1 minute ago, Brewskee69 said:

I'm a big fan of what they're doing over there at Brown, which is why I contacted them to do this in the first place. I'd rather support the little guys when I can. John wasn't rude in his contact with me but it was just strange being lectured by him about how NHL spec isn't safe, etc etc. The lady I was dealing with after was also very nice and apologetic but I was still getting the vibe that I'm the only average joe that ever requested the NHL spec from them, they seemed rather confused as to why I wanted to ditch my Russian spec c/a for a streamlined one. 

I inquired about having my shoulder floaters reduced to an NHL spec size but I don't remember the reason he said he couldn't do it.  Something about the measurements wouldn't be right if the rest of my unit wasn't in spec.  I think he took my request a little too literally so I just let it go.  

3 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I inquired about having my shoulder floaters reduced to an NHL spec size but I don't remember the reason he said he couldn't do it.  Something about the measurements wouldn't be right if the rest of my unit wasn't in spec.  I think he took my request a little too literally so I just let it go.  

Did you end up getting it reduced by anyone else? 

• 5 months later...

Reading through. 

I have a 2021 custom 2400. I love the fact it's a complete tank. Never get hurt (yet). The only problem is what everyone knows and I knew is that its heavy. Also the arms are not very mobile. Wondering if there are any mods people have done with them to make the arms (globe mostly) more mobile? I usually make l alot of glove saves and am not a butterfly goalie. More of a train wreck scramble. Any input is appreciated. 

I really want to make this one work because it's so nice to wear something you feel almost invincible in. 

9 minutes ago, Maxpower29 said:

Reading through. 

I have a 2021 custom 2400. I love the fact it's a complete tank. Never get hurt (yet). The only problem is what everyone knows and I knew is that its heavy. Also the arms are not very mobile. Wondering if there are any mods people have done with them to make the arms (globe mostly) more mobile? I usually make l alot of glove saves and am not a butterfly goalie. More of a train wreck scramble. Any input is appreciated. 

I really want to make this one work because it's so nice to wear something you feel almost invincible in. 

I have remember to take new pictures of mine because the ones from page one are no longer working.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 11:13 PM, Maxpower29 said:

Reading through. 

Played a few more times. About 20 now and feels a bit better. Maybe just wasn't broken in enough 

On 4/12/2022 at 8:16 AM, Naz said:

Not mine.  But Brian Vickers in the Facebook Group, Vintage Goalie Equipment just had this made by Brown.  This is freakin gorgeous!!

Brown New.jpg

What a wonderful long ago memory for me. I so wanted one of these units but made do with my Cooper 2 piece Chest and Arm.

64F4C189-0604-4601-B091-8AC3FE479774.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have a JB 2200 protector size large.  I let it hang dry after every ice touch. At the end of it's first season, it started to feel heavy and needed to be cleaned.  I let it soak in a bathtub for  couple hours with clothing detergent then rinse it out and let it soak again in clean water. I then took it out and let it dry for 2 week in our dry California garage. It has been dry for many days but it still weight 9.3 lbs. On the Brown website it says it should be under 6lbs.  What could be going on?

PXL_20220629_001720134.jpg

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

I have a JB 2200 protector size large.  I let it hang dry after every ice touch. At the end of it's first season, it started to feel heavy and needed to be cleaned.  I let it soak in a bathtub for  couple hours with clothing detergent then rinse it out and let it soak again in clean water. I then took it out and let it dry for 2 week in our dry California garage. It has been dry for many days but it still weight 9.3 lbs. On the Brown website it says it should be under 6lbs.  What could be going on?

Are you sure it's not reinforced/Russian spec? IIRC the grey shoulder cap under the floater is an external cue that it's built that way

If so 9.3 lbs is pretty normal for that build

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Are you sure it's not reinforced/Russian spec? IIRC the grey shoulder cap under the floater is an external cue that it's built that way

If so 9.3 lbs is pretty normal for that build

Thanks. It is Russian specs. We bought it brand new from a guy that said it was. I thought at the time it was just a bit more padding at the shoulder. I did not know it made such a difference. My bad and thank you.

Edited by Patrick

On 4/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, Naz said:

Not mine.  But Brian Vickers in the Facebook Group, Vintage Goalie Equipment just had this made by Brown.  This is freakin gorgeous!!

Brown New.jpg

What a beautiful throwback! Reminds me of my first Brown unit I owned, except mine was used and yellowish lolll

On 4/30/2022 at 4:55 PM, Wonder35 said:

What a wonderful long ago memory for me. I so wanted one of these units but made do with my Cooper 2 piece Chest and Arm.

64F4C189-0604-4601-B091-8AC3FE479774.jpeg

Oh the childhood memories ❤️

9 hours ago, Patrick said:

My JB503, that strongly resembles the JB500 shown above, was not all that heavy, maybe 6-8lbs. Clearly it wasn't loaded like your 2200. That is A LOT of extra padding.

And we all know that breaking in a Brown takes a while but well worth the effort and time. Once really broken in they actually feel like a sweater as most of you say of the Vaughn units, but maybe like a nice thick wool sweater 😁 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

What a beautiful throwback! Reminds me of my first Brown unit I owned, except mine was used and yellowish lolll

Oh the childhood memories ❤️

My JB503, that strongly resembles the JB500 shown above, was not all that heavy, maybe 6-8lbs. Clearly it wasn't loaded like your 2200. That is A LOT of extra padding.

And we all know that breaking in a Brown takes a while but well worth the effort and time. Once really broken in they actually feel like a sweater as most of you say of the Vaughn units, but maybe like a nice thick wool sweater 😁 

I bought it new for my son during lockdown from a guy that needed to unload it. It was broken within 2-3 practices and mobility is excellent. Keep in mind that during practices he gets way more shots than during games. So if you play games only, it might take longer.  He loves it and he likes the peace off mind of not having to worry about any pain. After a year of intense use, the protection hasn't changed and i can tell this will last a long time.

As far as the weight goes, I wanted a baseline measurement during the off season when they unit is bone dry. He is practicing almost everyday and sometime twice a day, so monitoring if the unit has time to dry and doesn't become waterlogged seems likes good idea. I was also wondering if salt from sweat could build up to a significant degree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patrick said:

I bought it new for my son during lockdown from a guy that needed to unload it. It was broken within 2-3 practices and mobility is excellent. Keep in mind that during practices he gets way more shots than during games. So if you play games only, it might take longer.  He loves it and he likes the peace off mind of not having to worry about any pain. After a year of intense use, the protection hasn't changed and i can tell this will last a long time.

As far as the weight goes, I wanted a baseline measurement during the off season when they unit is bone dry. He is practicing almost everyday and sometime twice a day, so monitoring if the unit has time to dry and doesn't become waterlogged seems likes good idea. I was also wondering if salt from sweat could build up to a significant degree.

Mine lasted 10 years before I started to feel the puck a bit more but it didn't bother me. Had to chuck it as it became victim of mould due to a basement flooding. Would of bought another one but my budget was not up to it.

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Mine lasted 10 years before I started to feel the puck a bit more but it didn't bother me. Had to chuck it as it became victim of mould due to a basement flooding. Would of bought another one but my budget was not up to it.

Sorry that's the moisture got to it. Great to hear that you got some good used it of it. My son was willing to trade extra weight for protection and longevity and I think this is what we got. Once broken, the mobility is great, which is something we did not expect. We got our on Sidelineswap with a significant discount. I hope you find another one.

• Like 2