Brown Chest Protector Thread

3 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

So for my first summer in Memphis, Tennessee, I was concerned the heat would make wearing my Brown 2100 unbearable. I started the season using my Vaughn 8800. However, since I was playing in the Advanced division in addition to the Intermediate division I was already playing in, I wanted the added protection and size of the Brown 2100. I went back to the Brown full time for both teams mid-season and was able to deal with the added weight and heat of the unit. I still may use the Vaughn for drop-ins or an over-35 mid-week skate we do. I like having both options. Figured this account would help those debating the added weight and lack of breathability of Brown C/As.

AD32D45F-EE4C-441D-B18C-5C7B35AC9C43_4_5005_c.jpeg.6e9a73533d497c7048f48f8d4d179588.jpegAC32E72A-C25C-4E58-BDEA-59D22C9CB0B4_4_5005_c.jpeg.05ad9a3577a368d36ec054d47b9611f6.jpeg

Here I am in the Brown 2100 looking somewhat confused and concerned 😳.

;) :D 

Why You Heff to be Mad? | Know Your Meme

On 9/5/2021 at 9:14 PM, Maxpower29 said:

Honestly I have the Vaughn VE8 pro carbon and the new Brown. I don't notice the heat thing at all. I mean like literally I never think of it. 

But the weight is definitely noticable. It's only a few pounds but for some reason it's very noticeable

I've never had a heat problem either.  I think its something that is blown a bit out of proportion.

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I've never had a heat problem either.  I think its something that is blown a bit out of proportion.

I did find the weight an issue at first coming from such a light Vaughn. Last night was game about 6-7 and I'm good now. Glove is back working. I've played ball hockey for my whole life (30 years ) so the glove is my main way of stopping a puck which is not butterfly style obviously. So the extra arm weight I noticed not having such a fast glove but i do now. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Brewskee69 said:

In the process of ordering my second Brown unit. My first one is a russian spec 2400 i got made five years ago and is still going strong. I'm going the opposite route this time and going to have a nhl spec version made. 

I can't wait to see this.  I had my elbow floaters modified by @Keeps33to be NHL spec a few years ago while he had to make some other repairs.  I got mine built about 10 years ago I think.  It was after the NHL cracked down on all the extra bullshit people added to their c/a's but it was before the most recent streamlined rules took effect.

16 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I can't wait to see this.  I had my elbow floaters modified by @Keeps33to be NHL spec a few years ago while he had to make some other repairs.  I got mine built about 10 years ago I think.  It was after the NHL cracked down on all the extra bullshit people added to their c/a's but it was before the most recent streamlined rules took effect.

I'll be sure to post some pictures. John has been a bit on the slower end at responding to my emails so the ordering process has been a bit longer then I remember, it's all good though he must be busy. I've been wanting to get a streamlined version made for some time and seeing that one or two Russian goaltenders in the NHL use them got me intrigued. I was wanting a Kenesky unit as well but the 5-6 month wait kind of turned me off. 

24 minutes ago, Brewskee69 said:

I'll be sure to post some pictures. John has been a bit on the slower end at responding to my emails so the ordering process has been a bit longer then I remember, it's all good though he must be busy. I've been wanting to get a streamlined version made for some time and seeing that one or two Russian goaltenders in the NHL use them got me intrigued. I was wanting a Kenesky unit as well but the 5-6 month wait kind of turned me off. 

I've seen pictures of a streamlined Brown but I don't remember where.  Might be on this site, I'll check when I can.

52 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I've seen pictures of a streamlined Brown but I don't remember where.  Might be on this site, I'll check when I can.

Their social media, Facebook and Instagram, are way more current than his website. 
I found this post from July 15th:

Alexei new NHL Spec Chest and Arm for playing for the with the Sharks.

B4A4A156-56CF-4E81-8EDA-D8AECB854F52.jpeg.23c42d6ca56277908ba3e3aecdb38ff2.jpeg

Alexei Melnichuk must be who they’re referring to. He’s a prospect. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Their social media, Facebook and Instagram, are way more current than his website. 

Thanks for finding that.  That is one of a few pictures I saw.

28 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Him as well as Ilya Samsonov of the capitols are wearing them. The Russians love their Brown C/A's 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brewskee69 said:

Well scrap that, after further discussion with John he refuses to make the streamlined version as he thinks that they’re unsafe. Looks like I will be going down another route for my next C/A. 

So is it the new NHL-spec unit you wanted or did you want it even more streamlined than that? If it’s just the former, I don’t see why he wouldn’t do it unless he’s afraid of liability with selling it to the general public due to reduced safety. 
Perhaps if you told him your name was Ilya or Vlad he’d do it.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brewskee69 said:

Well scrap that, after further discussion with John he refuses to make the streamlined version as he thinks that they’re unsafe. Looks like I will be going down another route for my next C/A. 

Wait, so he's building unsafe units for his NHL customers?

2 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

So is it the new NHL-spec unit you wanted or did you want it even more streamlined than that? If it’s just the former, I don’t see why he wouldn’t do it unless he’s afraid of liability with selling it to the general public due to reduced safety. 
Perhaps if you told him your name was Ilya or Vlad he’d do it.  

Yea I asked him for the current NHL spec unit, I respect his opinion but what caught me off guard was that it’s advertised on their site that they can do the 2400 in the NHL spec. 

2 hours ago, Brewskee69 said:

Yea I asked him for the current NHL spec unit, I respect his opinion but what caught me off guard was that it’s advertised on their site that they can do the 2400 in the NHL spec. 

The only thing I can think of is the website is updated so rarely that perhaps it meant the previous spec. But either way, stinks you can’t get what you want. 

27 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

The only thing I can think of is the website is updated so rarely that perhaps it meant the previous spec. But either way, stinks you can’t get what you want. 

Got in touch with someone else through their social media to get a better understanding and they replied with:

“Oh shoot, sorry about that. What he may not have explained is that the nhl spec is really just smaller elbow floaters. They have to be a certain width to be legal in the nhl. Unfortunately this makes the elbow rather tight and not the best flexibility for goalies that are just playing for fun.

Other than that... we can make you anything”

Regardless this goes down as one of the strangest ordering process I’ve gone through. 

1 hour ago, Brewskee69 said:

Got in touch with someone else through their social media to get a better understanding and they replied with:

“Oh shoot, sorry about that. What he may not have explained is that the nhl spec is really just smaller elbow floaters. They have to be a certain width to be legal in the nhl. Unfortunately this makes the elbow rather tight and not the best flexibility for goalies that are just playing for fun.

Other than that... we can make you anything”

Regardless this goes down as one of the strangest ordering process I’ve gone through. 

Would he make you a 3 piece top and bottom floater design like on the Vaughns? That should increase flexibility.

A1893CFF-5C02-4C41-A624-E1F2354F69EC.png

2 hours ago, Desert Tendy said:

Would he make you a 3 piece top and bottom floater design like on the Vaughns? That should increase flexibility.

A1893CFF-5C02-4C41-A624-E1F2354F69EC.png

Hmm I think the issue is that he doesn't agree with these NHL streamlined chest protectors, so he refuses to make anything meeting those specs for non-pro players. I recall reading his comment on a older social media post about his distaste for smaller more mobile chest protectors and that bigger is better. I own a five year old Russian spec 2400 from him and the thing is a beast. Having tried out a friends more streamlined C/A that's what got me wanting to go down the Kenesky route or trying to see if Brown can make it happen. So from what I gather I doubt he's going to make the 3 piece design because the smaller design is still "dangerous" to him. 

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I am a self proclaimed Brown fanboy and this sounds like total BS to me.  I had my elbow floaters trimmed down and there is no sacrifice anywhere.  I even had the inside panel on both elbow floaters removed and still haven't had issues.  As much as I do love John's c/a his elbow floater design is terrible.

As I've noted before, this was my experience with them, as well. I still use the unit, but it is not exactly how I wanted it and their excuses for not constructing it in the manner expected rang very hollow.

3 minutes ago, Teezle said:

As I've noted before, this was my experience with them, as well. I still use the unit, but it is not exactly how I wanted it and their excuses for not constructing it in the manner expected rang very hollow.

I am not suggesting you guys are making it up.  I mean his reasoning for not wanting to do it is bullshit.