Brown Chest Protector Thread

Thought I’d post some pictures of my new 2400 chest unit (Blue unit)  This is a regular 2400.  I already own a 2400 Russian spec (Black) but wanted a regular one for less intense games.  Just to be clear the Russian spec is awesome.  I’ve never had a stinger or any issues with it, just decided to get a second one and thought I’d get a regular one to give it a go.

In case anyone is curious to the differences...

The obvious stuff first.  Bicep protection.  Regular one has smaller rectangular piece.  It does have plastic piece in it.  Russian one has bigger oval piece. 

Shoulder floaters. Regular one non-segmented.  Russian one is segmented.  The shoulder floaters on the Russian also are  thicker.  Definitely thicker foam.  I think the plastic is the same thickness.

Not so obvious.  Shoulder cap under shoulder floaters.  Russian one has plastic and high density foam.  Regular is soft foam, no plastic.

Backside where arms attach.  Russian has small soft foam piece where arms are sewn in.  Regular reinforced with leather, no foam piece.

Weight difference.  Russian = 8.05lbs. Regular = 7.63lbs.  I’m small, so I would consider these senior x-small/small size.

Haven't worn the new one yet but eager to try it.

ECFC0F2D-1D4F-4F64-916C-6EB3C871D0E6.jpeg

9193271B-D2F2-498B-B2CC-C0FE51FF5E23.jpeg

B8352A35-D9D0-4ABE-966F-4E7A1AF7D22E.jpeg

2F353431-762E-4A9E-B06D-9E7899A00583.jpeg

6F8767C9-599D-4E8A-B776-299ED0CF4AE3.jpeg

85DB1DFA-BE18-4422-A865-07060F9D7D39.jpeg

77DE2C88-1954-481A-B311-DFCEA8180C05.jpeg

86BF9640-AB20-4D87-B518-9CA4CA778916.jpeg

960A03C8-6ED3-45EE-8E91-B1E86B60C4B1.jpeg

3FDF7767-4C14-4F6B-B60A-E264CDE1FE53.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Westcoast Tender said:

Thought I’d post some pictures of my new 2400 chest unit (Blue unit)  This is a regular 2400.  I already own a 2400 Russian spec (Black) but wanted a regular one for less intense games.  Just to be clear the Russian spec is awesome.  I’ve never had a stinger or any issues with it, just decided to get a second one and thought I’d get a regular one to give it a go.

In case anyone is curious to the differences...

3FDF7767-4C14-4F6B-B60A-E264CDE1FE53.jpeg

Great post... thanks for including comparison pictures. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve worn the new one three times and compared to the Russian spec, there’s essentially no break in time.  Ten minutes into the first session, I forgot I was wearing anything new.  I do admit the Russian spec took time to break in, probably a good 6 months for me to feel good and comfortable in it but I did come from a very used Passau unit.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 4:25 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone buy a Brown chesty lastely? If so, what do they go for? Are they over $500 USD?

I just placed an order 7/30 for a russian spec 2400. With shipping just a hair under 700usd.. Cant wait to get it since its my first new chest protector in 10years

Edited by MangoRhinehart

1 hour ago, Peanutbutterfly said:

A classic. One thing is for sure, they were a lot less expensive back when I bought this.

Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 11.05.11 PM.png

I have the 550 and the 553 Elite which I still wear and wore earlier tonight in my league game. The 550 looks just like your 500 and put it up for sale on a vintage goalie page on FB but there were no takers. The 553 I've had since 1997 and its still going strong. I have a Vaughn V6 and you can definitely feel the weight difference between two but I love and always go back to my Brown. 

2 hours ago, DL42 said:

not really as it will last 10 + years, most will last 1 to 1/2 under heavy use most beer leaguers prob 3-5 max depending on usage.

My custom Elite 553 is still going strong since 1997. I've tried to retire it and get into a Vaughn 9500 and V6 but I keep going back to my trusty Brown. Back then I think I paid almost $500 for it. Brown CA is money well spent. 

7 hours ago, goalieworld35 said:

I have the 550 and the 553 Elite which I still wear and wore earlier tonight in my league game. The 550 looks just like your 500 and put it up for sale on a vintage goalie page on FB but there were no takers. The 553 I've had since 1997 and its still going strong. I have a Vaughn V6 and you can definitely feel the weight difference between two but I love and always go back to my Brown. 

I've had the 500 since 1990. Though I last used it about 7 years ago, I wouldn't hesitate to use it today if I was in a pinch.

13 hours ago, DL42 said:

not really as it will last 10 + years, most will last 1 to 1/2 under heavy use most beer leaguers prob 3-5 max depending on usage.

I'm not sure what that has to do with how much it costs, but sure. 

9 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

FYI, based on the pricing I posted on the last page which I got off a Brown Facebook comment thread, the base model for a 2200 with no add-ons would be $739.95 Canadian which as of now is $568.72 USD. So that’s not too bad. 

That's significantly better. 

19 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

That's significantly better. 

And its all anyone really needs if you ask me.  I don't know why so many people are buying the Russian Spec, its beyond overkill.  The basic Brown c/a is more protective than just about every other c/a on the market.  $570 for a c/a that will last you 7-10 years is pretty good bang for your buck.  You just have to get through the first few skates to soften it up a bit.  Took me one weekend camp to get my current one broken in.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to play in the new chestie after flapping my arms around the house for about 45 minutes. Since I hadnt been on the ice since the beginning of August it seemed as good a time as any to take it out for a spin. Other than putting on my mask, no real issues with mobility that I felt. I took a few heavy shots in the arms and belly, felt the sense of an impact but nothing more than that. 

Second game update:

Played another game in the Brown. This time I was facing off against a much faster team, and my team had 2 subs. The only stiffness is when I go to put on my mask, or jersey. This will likely go away as it breaks in more. I also feel like my downward vision is a little bit worse currently. Arms are perfectly mobile to me. I dont think the unit is that much hotter than my Battram overall.

Third game update:

I decided to take a hot shower while wearing the unit to break it in more inbetween game 2 and 3. Mostly working the shoulder floaters and arms. I definitely made sure to copy the movements of putting on a mask. This made a huge difference in my ability to get my mask on and off, and took away that new unit stiffness. Game 3 was a short bench so I saw a lot of pucks. I also noticed my gripe with downward vision lessened. 

Edited by MangoRhinehart
2nd Game update, 3rd game update
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...