Brown Chest Protector Thread

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Wonder!!!!!!!!!!  God bless you man.  Sorry to hear about the retirement but hopefully the knew knee makes life a bit easier.  Glad to see you've made it over!

Thanks Richter, a familiar name from my past.  Yeah, the old body was taking a pounding so I decided to hang them up, turning 69 in a few weeks and 80-90 games a season was becoming a pain, literally. I got a new hip in 2007 and now a knee replacement which is coming along just fine.  I still play golf with the hockey guys and many are close friends so the camaraderie continues. It was a good decision. I have sold all my BROWN gear to a very happy net minder from the far side of the country. But I still have my Harrison mask hanging on the wall..........  Cheers

8 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Thanks Richter, a familiar name from my past.  Yeah, the old body was taking a pounding so I decided to hang them up, turning 69 in a few weeks and 80-90 games a season was becoming a pain, literally. I got a new hip in 2007 and now a knee replacement which is coming along just fine.  I still play golf with the hockey guys and many are close friends so the camaraderie continues. It was a good decision. I have sold all my BROWN gear to a very happy net minder from the far side of the country. But I still have my Harrison mask hanging on the wall..........  Cheers

Happy to hear you're happy with your decision.  Enjoy all the golf you can, you've earned it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wonder35 said:

If you don't start a thread with numerous pictures of your Harrison, you're essentially committing a crime.

• 1 year later...

While this is an old thread, I just have to share my happiness. I got this unit cheap, it's imported from US/CAN by previous owner. There were some fixes and modifications done already, so I decided to dismantle it and fix/mod it to serve me for some time.

Base model JB2000 with no extras.

Now it is updated with:

Added padding at wrist and outside of bicep

Modded elbow floaters closer to elbow and angled inwards a little

Shoulder blocks renewed and bicep protectors modified to Brown extra bicep protection style

Backpanel, sleeves, front part and floaters tied together with nylon and adjustable

Extra heart protection plate

Added padding inside at joint between rib protection and frontpanel

New strapping, rubbers and velcro where needed

I think that was all done for now.

We are hopefully getting back on ice in june. Just can't for it....

IMG_20200518_185023.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

It lives on ..... nice job Arde.

Thanks, it sure does.

And welcome back, it's never too late to return huh? I was looking at your photo and the sleek lookin Brown but I can't stop thinking that those sleeves are short, damn short, tooo short! I've gotten so many pucks to my wrists which is why I look to have sufficient wrap around.

26 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Nice!

Thanks.

A few days and some adjusting, wearing it on with neckguard, off, with pants, off. I decided to cut the bottom line off, and a half of the next line up to make it clean. And in the same sewing operation moved the clip up one row to get some space between pants. Some rubber cord is to be installed on front of my pants that then attach to that clip. Original loop is too long and positioned too low.IMG_20200522_141243.thumb.jpg.6ff6e5cca74653cf1c7711aa50a98312.jpg

And while there, I was to cut and trim the wings on the back part, that are way too long for my skinny body.

I first had them inside of those white liners and strapping going over, but the wings are just too thick and felt annoying in there.

But then I realised that it would work nicely by just opening up the white liner parts stiching to rib protector, and tuck the end of the wing in between there.

This mod is also easily sewn back up if it isn't working afterall as nothing was trimmed yet.

IMG_20200522_141207.thumb.jpg.f126e3620e3e889d005438e08863220b.jpg

Now I just have to get on the ice soon. There's nothing much left to do 😁

• Like 2

I was looking at your photo and the sleek lookin Brown but I can't stop thinking that those sleeves are short, damn short, tooo short! I've gotten so many pucks to my wrists which is why I look to have sufficient wrap around.

Yes, the sleeves are shorter than usual, at my request.  Even at full extension the cuffs of my BROWN trapper and blocker (JB2200) snugged up against the cuff of my C/A. I do have short arms, 32", I stand 5'7" and shrinking (70 years old - it happens).

John wasn't keen on making my pants (JB2000) so smallish either.  "Bulk is good" is his mantra. I had asked for less bulk to allow for quicker movement.  Keep in mind here fellow 'tenders that I play in a no slapshot, non contact division, minimum age 55, so the type of shots I regularly face are not boomers from the point, more close in, two on ones, deflections, so quick response is essential.

There was talk on the news last evening that some municipalities may not be able to afford the reopening of skating facilities. "Oh the horror" ....  this is Canada.

I have a substantial COVID-19 cache of recyclable cans and and bottles which I would gladly donate to the cause.

8C7F9545-2278-4DA9-92A2-403F2979E770_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

I stand 5'7" and shrinking (70 years old - it happens).

At 62 & same height, I hear ya!

3 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

John wasn't keen on making my pants (JB2000) so smallish either.  "Bulk is good" is his mantra. I had asked for less bulk to allow for quicker movement.  Keep in mind here fellow 'tenders that I play in a no slapshot, non contact division, minimum age 55, so the type of shots I regularly face are not boomers from the point, more close in, two on ones, deflections, so quick response is essential.

I've always said it's better to play with a group that has a few boomers on the blue line. It sure clears the sight-lines when they wind up !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First ice since march and wasn't it nice!

Brown felt very. Oh. Well. It didn't actually feel anything. It wasn't really there at all. Didn't get any real test but shot at the elbow floater and no problem there.

It's like taylor made and it should be ofcourse. I'm super happy with it now. And only wait for more icetime with it.

One more to say, I put it on scale and it's 3,200kg. Exact yes. And exact same weight is my Warrior X Pro pants in XL with Warrior (GT SR) knee pads and shortened CCM socks over them. 

Weights  a lot but then again I can go through that one hour of ice so it's all for sport.

Edited by ArdeFIN

• 1 month later...

After ice it's 3,350kg 😉 so not that much of added weight from sweat. Pants only got up to 3,3kg

Took me a while to get Chenner29 point about the weight. I'm used to put , between digits instead of . which gives sort of trouble at times with computer software etc. And funny setups too. Isn't it sporty to have 6.4tons of gear on and it's not all yet. You should see my skates! 😁

Started a topic at mods for this Brownie as there is quite a lot done and might just be interesting for someone... Hopefully I have all the essential photos still available.

• Like 1

Played this afternoon and it was pouring out which made the inside of the rink humid and gross. These are the only times the extra weight and heat of the Brown are noticeable enough for me. Was the type of day where I may prefer my Vaughn 8800 Epic. It’s lighter and cooler, but I feel smaller in it. I feel the Brown makes me look bigger. 
Anyway, I was wondering those of you who’ve had the 2100 unit or similar@SaveByRichter35 @sebastiancp1 and gone to a more recent JB model, are they lighter and/or cooler? If I ever do get a new chest protector, I want something perhaps not quite as heavy or hot as the 2100. FYI, the unit had an integrated neck guard, but I removed it recently and use my Maltese instead. 

JB2100 purchased 2006. Leg strap is to keep the shoulder floaters from drifting out of position. 

D73255F4-C6CA-401E-AA45-3E8750BB5B8D.thumb.jpeg.3e09e692d4ab66afe024ffcf2fb09d6d.jpeg

Vaughn 8800 Epic purchased 2010  

106DB22E-F45B-47B2-8EB3-86DB5B211A75.thumb.jpeg.cf2c1f7d840728fcbf6c9054d0e0d683.jpeg

Browns have alot of plastic right. That’s what makes em really protective. Just moved out of an old Vaughn that should be for street hockey into a Bauer 1X my buddy had and beefed up he just got a NOS Rbk P2 that he had factory mad beefed up. I wanna try a Brown and Im sure there worth the money but its hard to argue with barley used hand me downs. 

17 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Played this afternoon and it was pouring out which made the inside of the rink humid and gross. These are the only times the extra weight and heat of the Brown are noticeable enough for me. Was the type of day where I may prefer my Vaughn 8800 Epic. It’s lighter and cooler, but I feel smaller in it. I feel the Brown makes me look bigger. 
Anyway, I was wondering those of you who’ve had the 2100 unit or similar@SaveByRichter35 @sebastiancp1 and gone to a more recent JB model, are they lighter and/or cooler? If I ever do get a new chest protector, I want something perhaps not quite as heavy or hot as the 2100. FYI, the unit had an integrated neck guard, but I removed it recently and use my Maltese instead. 

I had ArdeFIN's JB2000 and I got a new JB2400 custom made to replace it. The JB2400 is heavier and possibly even hotter than the 2000.

I don't think the models have changed over the years.. They're still like sweaters made of nylon, plastic and foam :D 

4 minutes ago, saitagoalie said:

I had ArdeFIN's JB2000 and I got a new JB2400 custom made to replace it. The JB2400 is heavier and possibly even hotter than the 2000.

I don't think the models have changed over the years.. They're still like sweaters made of nylon, plastic and foam :D 

What features did you have on the 2400? Russian spec or any other structural extras?
The 2400 does look like a tank. I wonder if the 2200 is more slimmed down. 

1 minute ago, WillyGrips13 said:

What features did you have on the 2400? Russian spec or any other structural extras?
The 2400 does look like a tank. I wonder if the 2200 is more slimmed down. 

I got the segmented shoulders for more mobility, that's all.

I don't know the exact differences between the 2400 and 2200. I guess the split breast plate and extra rib protection are the biggest differences one can see. If I were to order again, I'd go with the 2200 with split breast plate and segmented shoulders.

On 7/20/2020 at 12:24 AM, WillyGrips13 said:

JB2100 purchased 2006. Leg strap is to keep the shoulder floaters from drifting out of position. 

D73255F4-C6CA-401E-AA45-3E8750BB5B8D.thumb.jpeg.3e09e692d4ab66afe024ffcf2fb09d6d.jpeg

Vaughn 8800 Epic purchased 2010  

106DB22E-F45B-47B2-8EB3-86DB5B211A75.thumb.jpeg.cf2c1f7d840728fcbf6c9054d0e0d683.jpeg

I went from an 1800 to a 2200.  My only structural mods from Brown were the segmented shoulder floaters, no inner elbow floater, and just the lower portion of the split chest plate.  I didn't want the upper collar portion.  I have since had Jay Terio(Keeps33) slim down my elbow floaters to make them NHL spec.  The 2200 is a little bigger than the 1800 even though the 1800 was not NHL Spec and the 2200 is...well it was until the newest spec change last year or year prior, whenever it was.