moving from warrior g4 pads toooo???? help

cuprajake

Vaughn’s velocity line are some of the softest pads available. I would do some research on the VE8 pads and try and watch/read some reviews. I have no experience of CCM so I can’t comment on the Eflex line, but I would guess the VE8’s are going to be softer.

1 hour ago, cuprajake said:

hey guy's

im in a set of warrior g4 atm 33+1.5 there too stiff, and tbh i dont like the active drop in them

before this i had a brians gnetik 2,  but there not availbe any more 

what is about thats flexible? vaughn ?ccm

jake

Would you consider going back to Gnetik 2s...? A quick search, and I found some on clearance at one of the large retailers. I'm sure others still have some too:

https://www.prohockeylife.com/products/brians-gnetik-pro-ii-sr-goalie-pads?variant=39892956100

cant anymore, but dont want to drop that sort of money, tbh ive had two full custom sets off brians, a custom chestie, custom shorts and all have been wrong in one way or another

so id be hesitant to buy again, one was a major f up which ultimately led to me getting rid of the last set of custom pads

jake

What are your strapping needs? Modern elastic or leather, both?

You can get good deals on V7 Vaughn gear which are flexible pads with traditional leather strapping. 

The Vaughn PVE pads are V7 with modern elastic SLR strapping. 

The new VE8 pads are stiffer than V7 pads and have both modern strapping and pad geometry compared to traditional V7.

Those are your Vaughn options.

28 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Lots of good discounted choices here

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/clearance/clearance-goalie-leg-pads/clearance-goalie-leg-pads-sr.html

If you have any Vaughn questions, I or the other 2 people who enjoy Vaughn on here can help :)  (just kidding, sorta)

He's also in the UK. The shipping fees to bring them to him would offset any savings from a N/A supplier.

2 hours ago, cuprajake said:

cant anymore, but dont want to drop that sort of money, tbh ive had two full custom sets off brians, a custom chestie, custom shorts and all have been wrong in one way or another

so id be hesitant to buy again, one was a major f up which ultimately led to me getting rid of the last set of custom pads

jake

Maybe talk to a smaller company like Passau ( @GoalieTimmy33 ) - They might be able to custom build exactly what you need

59 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

He's also in the UK. The shipping fees to bring them to him would offset any savings from a N/A supplier.

Right.  It seems like living in Europe and shopping for goalie gear has an implied understanding that you're paying a lot for shipping, regardless.

Maybe shop that Finnish brand??

Hi guys some good replies there 

Issuses us UK goalies have is limited stock for sizing and trying on, bar the odd 1s pad we're limited to lower end equipment as in non pro stuff

I was lucky enough to know a guy who could get great prices on Brian's. First set was gnetik 2 but too large the second set subz with gnetik core but they messed the front up and it looked rubbish. 

The g4 are stiff in the thigh rise and you need to curve them which stick in the legs, very boxy and the active drop means there always hitting together. 

I tried slr snr and they were stiff and the strapping horrendous. Way to tight. I don't mind any strapping tbh 

Have to add I'm getting older, I'm playing inline and my hips ain't what they were. 

So I'm limited to things like eflex 3.9

And size wise only having a atk of 16.5 I'm the smaller size for finding used gear. 

Jake 

3 hours ago, cuprajake said:

Hi guys some good replies there 

Issuses us UK goalies have is limited stock for sizing and trying on, bar the odd 1s pad we're limited to lower end equipment as in non pro stuff

I was lucky enough to know a guy who could get great prices on Brian's. First set was gnetik 2 but too large the second set subz with gnetik core but they messed the front up and it looked rubbish. 

The g4 are stiff in the thigh rise and you need to curve them which stick in the legs, very boxy and the active drop means there always hitting together. 

I tried slr snr and they were stiff and the strapping horrendous. Way to tight. I don't mind any strapping tbh 

Have to add I'm getting older, I'm playing inline and my hips ain't what they were. 

So I'm limited to things like eflex 3.9

And size wise only having a atk of 16.5 I'm the smaller size for finding used gear. 

Jake 

Full set of JRZ is $1800 CAD ($1070 GBP / $1350 USD) and that's 100% custom too. They made the Reactor line for Bauer and could probably make you something nice and flexible. Might be the perfect mix between used prices and getting something custom made for your spec requests.

so, 

after speaking with people and friends with different pads i went for some hockey monkey branded ccm e3.9 

they arrived today, there promptly in the box going back to sweeden

ive now ordered some warrior gt pads and g4 gloves, uk only stock white, but this time ove gone down to a 32+1.5 not the 33+1.5 i had in the g4 pads 

life in the uk eh

On 12/4/2018 at 5:26 AM, cuprajake said:

hey guy's

im in a set of warrior g4 atm 33+1.5 there too stiff, and tbh i dont like the active drop in them

before this i had a brians gnetik 2,  but there not availbe any more 

what is about thats flexible? vaughn ?ccm

jake

I own a set of G4's and a set of Vaughn V-Elite Pro Carbons.  If you want a soft, flexible pad that still slides really well, the V-Elite is it.  I haven't tried the VE8's yet, but I understand they have a stiffer boot and overall stiffer feel than the V-Elites.  I also recommend you go with the Pro Carbon and not the "Pro".  The rigidity of the Pro Carbon is what helps them slide so well.  I've had the SLR's in the "Pro" version and I thought they performed like crap to be totally honest.  

They also aren't that heavy, 33+2 comes in at around 5.3lbs.  Not bad and the way they move with your leg you really don't feel the weight at all.  I've always had a set of stiff pads and soft pads because some days I don't feel like fighting a stiff pad and other days I want the lighter, crisper feel.  So, out of everything out there that I've used, I've found these 2 were the best for me.

If you like Brian's, I've heard that the Optik FLX are very soft.  Have yet to try them for myself though.   

For what it’s worth, I’m a UK goalie that bought a new set online 2 weeks ago and I feel your pain! Almost got G4s but opted for Bauer S29s on a bit of a whim. The fact that I can’t see anything in person let  alone try anything on made trying to pick between the models an absolute nightmare!

Hope you have more luck with the GTs

1 hour ago, cuprajake said:

see what happens with these warrior gt when they come in.

The GT's are pretty stiff as well.  I found that between the G3's and the GT's, the GT's had more torsional flex (twisting), but the G3's were actually more flexible at the boot and thigh.  I find with the G4's that they have stiffened up the thigh rise a bit to where they are more like the GT.  Very curious to see what kind of changes they make to the GT2's.  I keep hoping for a truly flexible option from Warrior, especially at the boot area, which is my biggest problem area with stiff pads.

Archived