Differences in Vaughn Ventus SLR (and other brands)

Matt3533

So, I was going to put this in the Vaughn section since the first half of my question is Vaughn specific; however, the second part of my question is very general to all brands so I just kept it in the gear section.

I was looking at the new Ventus pads in the store and online (which have been my favourite flat faced pads so far since I am a knee roll kinda guy) and I was having a hard time finding differences between the pro model and the pro carbon model.  Now I understand that Vaughn has changed their branding of their Senior models to Pro, and their Pro to Pro Carbon.  Other than the obvious added carbon fiber to the Pro Carbon models, what are the other differences? - such as quality, materials used, features, etc.  For almost $1000 cheaper, the Pro model seems like an obvious choice for a beer leaguer (like myself) for a great pad option that just doesn't have the carbon fiber - which is why I want to know if there are any other differences.

Just at first glance of how the Pro model is built based on internals, quality of build, etc., the "senior" Pro model would actually be considered a real Pro model if this were 2012.  

Now the second part of my question is comparing the Pro model to smaller companies out there that make Pro pads (Simmons, Boddam, McKenney, etc.). I know with the smaller companies you get the more personal interactions with the builders and typically have more customization options.  I'm actually trying to figure out the difference in quality of build, and more specifically the internal materials used.  To my knowledge, none of the smaller companies use carbon fiber in their pads, and most used the HD foams, as does Vaughn.  So when it comes to quality and materials, are there any companies that would be considered superior to the Vaughn Ventus (Pro "senior" model).

I know it's a long winded post, but any info would help!

I don´t know about new Ventus line or older semi-pro lines but I used custom V7 XR pro gloves last season (2-5 times per week). Pro line is made in China and carbons are made in Canada. Durability of my gloves were ok, blocker become soft and thumb plastic twisted, protection is quite poor. But after all I really liked how the gloves played.

On the surface, it seems that the biggest difference is the country of origin. But- I don't know that there is a difference in the quality of foams and synthetic leather. And for me, knowing cabon fibre (if it IS, in fact, carbon fibre) in this application seems gimmicky. But then again, I have not played in any "carbon" Vaughn products, and if I did, may say it's a game changer.

I like the cheaper, myself.

@Matt3533

Got this direct from Vaughn:

So the PRO version has the following changes. 

-Lace runs through the face
-The boot strap is leather and sewn in with its buckle
-The RRC has a plastic buckle
-The cordley and nylon are the same materials as our domestic products. 

This is pretty interesting. If Vaughn's off shore Pro pad is that close and that good a value, I respect them going off shore. There is where off shoring can benefit a consumer. If the protection is there, seems like a great option for someone doesn't keep gear that long 

11 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Matt3533

This is pretty interesting. If Vaughn's off shore Pro pad is that close and that good a value, I respect them going off shore. There is where off shoring can benefit a consumer. If the protection is there, seems like a great option for someone doesn't keep gear that long 

Hmm that is very interesting.  Seems like it is a "true" pro pad then, minus small details such as the laces going through the face, plastic clip instead of metal/magnetic, and the sewn in boot strap.  

I also think that back when manufacturing first started popping up overseas that you could make the argument that the domestic products were far above the overseas counterparts, but now I personally think that they are only a small notch behind how the domestic gear is made - if even that.

Thanks for looking into those differences by the way!  Much appreciated. 

This is definitely a pad I am not going to consider.

3 hours ago, Matt3533 said:

Hmm that is very interesting.  Seems like it is a "true" pro pad then, minus small details such as the laces going through the face, plastic clip instead of metal/magnetic, and the sewn in boot strap.  

I also think that back when manufacturing first started popping up overseas that you could make the argument that the domestic products were far above the overseas counterparts, but now I personally think that they are only a small notch behind how the domestic gear is made - if even that.

Thanks for looking into those differences by the way!  Much appreciated. 

This is definitely a pad I am not going to consider.

And the carbon enhancement 

23 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Matt3533

What are these?

A few quick things. I wouldn't put much weight behind their carbon sheets they add in the pads. They are so thin that they can be bent and there is a tonne of debate about how useful it is on GGSU.

Also, from trying on the Pro vs Pro Carbon gloves in store you can tell a difference, the Pro Carbon feel much better made and like an actual top end glove compared to the Pros.

@SaveByRichter35 the RRC is the "Professor Strap" that goes below the knee. On the Pro Carbon the buckle is metal, below is the picture. I assume cordley was meant to be cordura.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3gSQykUYAEBBZn.jpg

• 11 months later...

We have both the Ventus Pro and Pro Carbon pads in the store I work at.

I have to say I think Vaughn kinna shot themselves in the foot. That "Pro" pad was built too well. I legitimately thought it was a Pro Carbon, Canadian made pad. If things don't go well with my Premier 2 gear, it'll definitely be a serious consideration for a future purchase.

We can safely say that, other than material quality, senior non-pro pads and blockers can be as safe as the true pro gear. Where I have concerns is with the catchers in term of palm protection. If it were just a question of material quality, no biggie, but hand stingers or swollen joints from a well placed missile is not fun in a thinner palm.

As for the smaller house brands, their "senior" gear is actually their pro level gear and is quite comparable to what you will see in the show in terms of protection and customization, and surely quality.

2 minutes ago, RichMan said:

We can safely say that, other than material quality, senior non-pro pads and blockers can be as safe as the true pro gear. Where I have concerns is with the catchers in term of palm protection. If it were just a question of material quality, no biggie, but hand stingers or swollen joints from a well placed missile is not fun.

As for the smaller house brands, their "senior" gear is actually their pro level gear and is quite comparable to what you will see in the show in terms of protection and customization, and surely quality.

No one ever gets hurt wearing senior level leg pads. Never once have I heard of someone getting "stingers" from wearing a senior level leg pad. So the quality is good, yes. And safe, yes. Yet, still not pro.

9 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

No one ever gets hurt wearing senior level leg pads. Never once have I heard of someone getting "stingers" from wearing a senior level leg pad. So the quality is good, yes. And safe, yes. Yet, still not pro.

One of the department managers at a local hockey store sold their G3 Pros because he started feeling hard shots to the lower shin and and boot, so I wouldn't say that statement is totally true.

Archived