Want to get back into skating

varano

So long story short...My wife taught me how to skate very late in life. I started picking it up.. a couple days in, fell and broke my elbow.  Never really skated much again. 

Years later, became a ball hockey goalie in mens league.   So now I want to try and get into ice.   Would you guys think its better for me to buy goalie skates

and learn on those, or just use my normal skates?    I honestly don't know much about skating....

Learn on goalie skates.  I play both forward and goalie and there is  a world of difference between the two.   So many goalie specific movements would be very difficult with the rounder profile of forward skates, not to mention the differences in protection.  

40 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Learn on goalie skates.  I play both forward and goalie and there is  a world of difference between the two.   So many goalie specific movements would be very difficult with the rounder profile of forward skates, not to mention the differences in protection.  

Thanks man!

Agree with @Puckstopper – the flat nature of goalie skates make for a different learning experience. A lot of people who have skated on “regular” skates comment how different the feel of goalie skates is when they first get on them. The good news is, owing to the nature of the flatter blade they tend to be more stable, the bad news is you tend to lose is maneuverability with a flat(ter) blade – that’s where the different feel comes in*.

Just please do yourself a favour – wear padding. Standard Rollerblade elbow and knee pads are good enough, and you can wear them under a hockey shirt and jogging pants if you are worried about the “cool” (or “not-cool”) factor. As you know crashing down on one of your joints is not fun. I still have a very bad elbow from landing on it during a hockey practice 30 years ago when something akin to a winter jacket passed for a goalie CA. Road-riding bicycle helmets are pretty well useless – use either a hockey helmet or snowboarding helmet – both give you protection around the back of your head.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress

*The discussion of a flat blade on a goalie skate is in exception to the fact that it appears some goalies are tending to experiment with different rockers on their skates currently

32 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

If you want better attack angle more than anything else in the world, by all means go with player skates. However, if you use player skates, you will have all the problems listed above as well as comfort issues.

Don't listen to this. Don't bother with player skates.

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

If you want better attack angle more than anything else in the world, by all means go with player skates. However, if you use player skates, you will have all the problems listed above as well as comfort issues.

Don't listen to this.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Listen to this.

The fucking guy is just getting back into learning how to SKATE.  Let him worry about attack angles later.  Stop spreading shitty advice. 

2 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Agree with the comments above. One other thing is you should practice skating as much as you can, and find someone who can help you with the basic fundamentals of skating first before you go to a goalie coach. 

Fair enough. Thank you to everyone for the comments and suggestions!

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm just saying, you'll get better attack angle. That is the only good thing about player skates as a goalie. Everything else about them sucks.

why would you use player skates as a goalie for any reason lol with the new cowlingless skates i cant imagine a player skate doing wonders on your attack angle

4 hours ago, varano said:

So long story short...My wife taught me how to skate very late in life. I started picking it up.. a couple days in, fell and broke my elbow.  Never really skated much again. 

Years later, became a ball hockey goalie in mens league.   So now I want to try and get into ice.   Would you guys think its better for me to buy goalie skates

and learn on those, or just use my normal skates?    I honestly don't know much about skating....

Dude - just wanted to give you props for wanting to give it a try in the first place! I think that's awesome!

:fistbump:

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

why would you use player skates as a goalie for any reason lol with the new cowlingless skates i cant imagine a player skate doing wonders on your attack angle

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Don't listen to this.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

All I'm saying is, you can use player skates but you probably shouldn't.

21 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

All I'm saying is, you can use player skates but you probably shouldn't.

"How should I drive this nail into a piece of wood?"

"Well, you can hurl your face down onto the head of the nail in an attempt to drive it into the wood with your forehead, but you probably shouldn't."

Can you see how unhelpful that is? Like, it's so unhelpful that it wasn't even worth letting your fingers hit the keys on your keyboard to write it out. And you're saying he probably shouldn't? Uh, he should definitely not do that... no questions asked, 100%, "Final answer, Regis!"

Never a bad idea to stop and ask yourself whether your post is helpful / interesting / insightful / goddamn awful advice before you press "Submit Reply". 

Archived