Vintage gear postings

bunnyman666

3 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

Trepid, is this the shot you asked me about? The Cooper Custom Pro Shop beefed up my SA95 arm pads and BP21 belly pad in the mid 80's. They were bullet proof for that time but friggin' heavy!

64F4C189-0604-4601-B091-8AC3FE479774.jpeg

F1B09F18-BCAB-492E-B867-CEA83289EFEE_1_105_c.jpeg

I seem to remember you saying you took these pictures for insurance purposes. No bulletin boards or social media back in the day to show off your gear on. 

1 hour ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I seem to remember you saying you took these pictures for insurance purposes. No bulletin boards or social media back in the day to show off your gear on. 

Yup, you were paying attention ..................

I had my first set of Brians pads stolen and didn't have proper insurance coverage.  After that I paid for a separate rider in my policy for hockey gear.  Naturally, I've never had a theft incident since - not complaining.

1 hour ago, Wonder35 said:

Yup, you were paying attention ..................

I had my first set of Brians pads stolen and didn't have proper insurance coverage.  After that I paid for a separate rider in my policy for hockey gear.  Naturally, I've never had a theft incident since - not complaining.

Like carrying an umbrella- it never rains when you carry one!

16 hours ago, Trepid said:

Ok. Thank you very much @Wonder35 . Another goalie and I were discussing how he wore the BP21 under the SA95 too. That is how I thought I'd wear them too. Although at least one catalogue shows the SA95 worn under the BP21.

I wore my SA95 over the BP. The elastic straps for the CA became useless quickly. I recall trying to wear them tight at first though.

The flaps were annoying. I was always adjusting them. Regardless, I still took so many shots in the armpits.

I thought the chest pad with the mickey mouse ears was a BP 21. That's what I had. It was just felt padding. The shoulder caps were plastic inside like cups.

I know there were a million versions that Cooper made through the years. I thought the BP 30 was that closed cell one. I saw this BP90 on eBay. 

Cooper BP90 back.jpg

Cooper BP90.jpg

3 hours ago, MTH said:

FYI - Bauer is offering a vintage gear line under the Cooper brand.

https://www.bauer.com/en-US/cooper-gear/

That 4500 doesn’t look right without layers of tape residue, thousands of scratches and those translucent ear covers. Only one colour, too. I’d do a green one for a combo, but I have a feeling that it’s current helmet thickness, and that’s too thin for my liking.  Bummer. But I’d rock the shoulder pads if I didn’t have a pair of Eagle.

I imagine this run is being done to keep the name registered. 

5 hours ago, MTH said:

I thought the chest pad with the mickey mouse ears was a BP 21. That's what I had. It was just felt padding. The shoulder caps were plastic inside like cups.

I know there were a million versions that Cooper made through the years. I thought the BP 30 was that closed cell one. I saw this BP90 on eBay. 

Cooper BP90 back.jpg

Cooper BP90.jpg

Yes. My BP21 is felt Micky Mouse ears with plastic shoulder caps.

On 8/4/2021 at 1:42 PM, Wonder35 said:

Trepid, is this the shot you asked me about? The Cooper Custom Pro Shop beefed up my SA95 arm pads and BP21 belly pad in the mid 80's. They were bullet proof for that time but friggin' heavy!

64F4C189-0604-4601-B091-8AC3FE479774.jpeg

F1B09F18-BCAB-492E-B867-CEA83289EFEE_1_105_c.jpeg

I love vintage goalie gear! 

On 8/5/2021 at 2:40 PM, bunnyman666 said:

That 4500 doesn’t look right without layers of tape residue, thousands of scratches and those translucent ear covers. Only one colour, too. I’d do a green one for a combo, but I have a feeling that it’s current helmet thickness, and that’s too thin for my liking.  Bummer. But I’d rock the shoulder pads if I didn’t have a pair of Eagle.

I imagine this run is being done to keep the name registered. 

My youngest son uses the current Bauer model of that helmet. I just bought another new one this past spring. 

Bauer said they aren't offering any Cooper apparel. I didn't get an answer if they have any plans on a SK2000 re-issue. Odds are the kid who responded never even heard of the SK helmet.

6 hours ago, MTH said:

My youngest son uses the current Bauer model of that helmet. I just bought another new one this past spring. 

Bauer said they aren't offering any Cooper apparel. I didn't get an answer if they have any plans on a SK2000 re-issue. Odds are the kid who responded never even heard of the SK helmet.

Ed Cubberly was selling Cooper apparel and 3D printed SK2000 bumpers. I don’t know if he still is selling Cooper T-shirts.

Bringing out a few items helps renew a trademark. A few people were were infringing on that trademark. This is Bauer’s sign that they still own the Cooper name. 

I doubt there will be anything else offered with the Cooper name unless these limited edition items fly off their shelves.

19 hours ago, MTH said:

In Ireland, the Cooper brand is a top brand for hurling. 

Was neat too see the brand all over the place.

You can also get Cooper rugby balls. 

If Covid ever ends and I can go back home,I need to have a long layover in Ireland and buy weird Cooper schwag. 

The funniest thing? Hurlers will hardly touch the new Cooper helmets and want the vintage.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun video here with a current pro goalie who is young enough to have never worn vintage gear before.  He was the 3rd string goalie for the Nashville Predators for a few years recently and now a pro in the SHL in Sweden.   It's neat to see him being nervous about the gear. 

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Fun video here with a current pro goalie who is young enough to have never worn vintage gear before.  He was the 3rd string goalie for the Nashville Predators for a few years recently and now a pro in the SHL in Sweden.   It's neat to see him being nervous about the gear. 

Man, you just love posting his vids eh?

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

Man, you just love posting his vids eh?

Kas or Bones or both?  Yes, all of the above. 

I love the Predators, I have a crush on every Finnish goalie since I was a kid, and I love good wholesome goalie video channels on youtube.  So these 2 are the perfect combo for me.

Take that :)

• Haha 1