bunnyman666

Vintage gear postings

On 1/2/2020 at 7:19 AM, MTH said:

Vaughn still uses the "70" number in their intermediate models today. 

Blockers from the past are nothing special. There was a time when the modern style blocker was being built with the old size spec. Right around the time of the Velocity 1 model.

27-2301.jpg

I have a few of these in my collection. Big and a great design. Easy to repalm too.

God that was a great blocker. One of the best designs ever IMO

Back when I was just a fan of goalies, and not yet playing the position myself, I was very irritated with the helmet/cage look being carried into the early 90s when the combo was so widely available. But what made it SO much worse for me (purely from the aesthetic point of vue) was as when it was coupled with that fixed Itech throat protector that looked like a duck bill or something. Lots of examples for a couple of years (see pics) then gone (yes, mostly because former users switched to combo masks). Wondering if anyone ever used it, liked it, and why. 

C2909CC7-162F-4FF0-BD8B-61E11439A3A8.jpeg

D88529FF-13AC-42BB-A4F8-09E010C9BA86.jpeg

A6499422-8045-4E39-B513-03A6F8C62D0C.jpeg

8558BF01-77BE-49A0-98FC-ECA2A6601F2F.jpeg

4088C5BD-D9AD-4027-9A31-FB81EF783339.jpeg

AF90BF28-F5CF-42B7-B889-E4086CA9628E.jpeg

16FF366B-55BF-4853-886C-4AD9DD3D0582.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Used one, briefly, didn't like it because it blocked the view of pucks at my feet.  A good form fitting combo mask still allows for one to see close in pucks but I found that my head was forever bobbing because I would lose sight for a brief moment until my head was aimed straight down.   The one I had also reflected a glare from some arena lighting back in the 80's.

I have a short neck , head resting on shoulders sort of physique, so this piece of gear was unsuitable.  Plus I thought that they looked awkward, not at all cool.:thumbdown:

Edited by Wonder35
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Used one, briefly, didn't like it because it blocked the view of pucks at my feet.  A good form fitting combo mask still allows for one to see close in pucks but I found that my head was forever bobbing because I would lose sight for a brief moment until my head was aimed straight down.   The one I had also reflected a glare from some arena lighting back in the 80's.

I have a short neck , head resting on shoulders sort of physique, so this piece of gear was unsuitable.  Plus I thought that they looked awkward, not at all cool.:thumbdown:

As I suspected... though I never would have thought of the glare factor. Very interesting. 
And NOT very cool. One of the reasons I couldn’t stand Kelly Hrudey for the longest time. Well, that, and the blue bandana thing. Oh, and that ridiculous stance. Now as a commentator on TSN, I quite like him actually! Lol!

6A6202DC-22C1-4ADA-BC73-9EB1A0D9F596.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Lucky Pucker

To add to what @Wonder35 I used on in the early 90s, more-or-less against my will, "if you're playing this position you're wearing this." I remember the thing clacking so much that once I got a mask I outright refused to wear any dangler. So that must have been... from age 10 until about two years ago that I wouldn't wear a dangler. I've since equipped one now as I took a shot that hit my neck that temporarily knocked me unconscious (through my neckguard). I should note that I do have a longer neck. The only thing interesting about mine is that it was clear instead of white or black like all the ones you've posted, still blocked my vision horribly when it would get stuck in the upright position (over my mouth guard attachment). Three fun things about the attached picture: my number, the amount of defunct and different gear brands I'm wearing, and that I didn't know you were supposed to trigger finger on the paddle of the stick until I went to my second goalie school as it was never an observed problem (I held the stick pretty tight with a hand-knob grip).

88817777_ss(2019-04-04at05_29.54).jpg.438b8f0b38e0dc4a9b1800d7b3b3b762.jpg

Edited by keeperton
  • Like 1

I wore one during the 89/90 season attached to a Cooper HM50 cage.  Quite the opposite of @keeperton and @Wonder35 experience, with that cage, and the HM30 if mounted in the correct place it barely moved at all and did not clank around.  That's what I liked about it compared to a traditional dangler which I had worn the previous season.  That being said, the following season I did not use it, and have not used one since.

dangler.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Naz In defense of how much that thing moved, I was 6-9 years old when I worse that thing. I was definitely a fidgety child.

Edited by keeperton
  • Haha 1

I have NOS clips for that neck protector in my desk.

I used one for a time. Never really had a good setup with mine. The Cooper GTP was and still is king.

On 4/20/2020 at 1:27 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

One of the reasons I couldn’t stand Kelly Hrudey ... and that ridiculous stance.

That stance - while ridiculous - was super badass on a hockey card. Crouched down - focused. 

s-l640.jpg

corrado-micalef-of-the-detroit-red-wings

• Like 1

I like the fact that he's wearing an adult medium jersey over his gear.