Black Tape Bandits

TheGoalNet

So I am in the minority that I still use black stick tape. That was normal when I was kid and I never changed. I try not to buy into the hype of white pads looking bigger or that its hard to track rebounds off black pads. 

With that said, it's kind of a cool retro look now and totally thread worthy... Post your favorite black tape set ups 

Founding Member of the Black Tape Bandits:

Ron-Hextall-philadelphia-Flyers.jpeg

Current President:

Philipp+Grubauer+sQeoyNTlgFAm.jpg

European Chapter:

Kua1kRP2TIjAymGxkpewkg-barry-brust-hc-slovan-zakrok.jpg

In Exhile:

Flower.jpg

Resident Swinger:

Mike smith.jpg

24 minutes ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

I use white tape on my goal sticks.  No particular reason.  I did have someone tell me that black tape contains tar and it eats away at the glove leather.  Have to say I switched to white tape for the grip portions of my player sticks and my gloves have lasted a lot longer than they used to.....

Interesting stuff on the tar

Before I switched to a grip composite, I usually used a white or yellow grip tape for the handle 

^^ Yeah - I've heard that's actually a rule in the NHL. Just means if you used black tape to make your butt end, you need to put one lap of white around it in that case.

As far as colour is concerned:, I have a strict protocol to determine whether it's black or white - it's called buying whatever is the absolute cheapest...

1 hour ago, Ghostender said:

^^ Yeah - I've heard that's actually a rule in the NHL. Just means if you used black tape to make your butt end, you need to put one lap of white around it in that case.

As far as colour is concerned:, I have a strict protocol to determine whether it's black or white - it's called buying whatever is the absolute cheapest...

There's a difference in price where you live?!?!?

LOL - I don't really know, but I suspect there would be a difference from one manufacturer to another. I just meant if I go into a store and they have tape on sale, I'd buy some as opposed to saying no because it's white and I only use black or vice versa.

Having said that, we only have one "real"hockey shop here in town (Source for Sports franchise - or in this case "Sores for Sports") so you get what they want to stock and sell. And they make a pretty good buck at it too, all the while letting you know how lucky you are to have them here.

• 1 year later...
On 7/7/2017 at 8:01 PM, Hockey School Dropout said:

I use white tape on my goal sticks.  No particular reason.  I did have someone tell me that black tape contains tar and it eats away at the glove leather.  Have to say I switched to white tape for the grip portions of my player sticks and my gloves have lasted a lot longer than they used to.....

Were they thinking of old school friction tape?  That always had a tarry smell to it, and it would destroy the palms of my forwards gloves pretty damn quick.   

Personally I used white until I found a dark green tape that matches my team jersey pretty well, so now I'm the pretentious douche who co-ordinates his tape and equipment.  

34 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Well there’s a little something called breast awareness month... ?

ive used it for a while. didnt put it on for that reason if im being completley honest. always loved the contrast of pink tape on sticks lol

Archived