Stickerbombing My Mask

Punisher Goalie

Thought I’d share a recently-completed project. My other recreational hobby is longboarding, and I’ve been thinking about doing some sort of skate-inspired mask art for a while. I had a somewhat large collection (although it turned out to be not quite large enough...) of skate stickers, so I decided to attempt a “stickerbomb” look. This is commonly seen on skate decks, helmets, etc. and I haven’t seen a goalie mask done this way before. After some Google searching, I did see at least one stickerbombed lacrosse helmet and liked how it looked enough to give it a shot.

My original idea was to use my stickers, then possibly send it off to a painter to recreate the look since it would be more durable behind clear coat, but now that its done I like the variety of finishes too. The process itself is pretty straight-forward, just start around the edges and fill in. You need a steady Xacto knife hand for sure! I ordered a vintage Bauer sticker for the logo, but it hasn’t come in yet.

Here are some pics of the finished product and a timelapse video:

57C2CBC2-6B07-4439-A37E-FBDF8E3FC985.thumb.jpeg.61425af857d412cfd42707a18cf07580.jpeg

43C9578B-2B09-433A-A4A2-DA78D1A15368.thumb.jpeg.de969d34790f89d6724f45153040ea4e.jpeg

12 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

I love this, I had a similiar thought but get a whole bunch of album covers made up.

Nice work!

Oh, man - I would love to see this if you ever do it - even mock ups or sketches! What  great idea!

(Me to self: must steal this great idea, make it my own, and tell nobody! MUHAHAHAHAHA - oh shit - did I just type that? DAMMIT!)

13 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Thought I’d share a recently-completed project. My other recreational hobby is longboarding, and I’ve been thinking about doing some sort of skate-inspired mask art for a while. I had a somewhat large collection (although it turned out to be not quite large enough...) of skate stickers, so I decided to attempt a “stickerbomb” look. This is commonly seen on skate decks, helmets, etc. and I haven’t seen a goalie mask done this way before. After some Google searching, I did see at least one stickerbombed lacrosse helmet and liked how it looked enough to give it a shot.

My original idea was to use my stickers, then possibly send it off to a painter to recreate the look since it would be more durable behind clear coat, but now that its done I like the variety of finishes too. The process itself is pretty straight-forward, just start around the edges and fill in. You need a steady Xacto knife hand for sure! I ordered a vintage Bauer sticker for the logo, but it hasn’t come in yet.

Here are some pics of the finished product and a timelapse video:

57C2CBC2-6B07-4439-A37E-FBDF8E3FC985.thumb.jpeg.61425af857d412cfd42707a18cf07580.jpeg

43C9578B-2B09-433A-A4A2-DA78D1A15368.thumb.jpeg.de969d34790f89d6724f45153040ea4e.jpeg

Super cool idea - but you executed it so well; and that's where the appeal lies! it might look like random chaos to some, but I think you put a lot more thought into  the composition of it all - and to me, it shows.

You must be thrilled with it - well done, @Punisher Goalie :fistbump:

I agree with the others, this looks great. When I first read the title I thought, "is someone letting their child put a bunch of stickers on their mask like you sometimes see on the back passenger windows of cars?" While that has some sentimental/family appeal, this is better for sure. As @Lucky Pucker said, well thought out and executed.

As an aside, @MangoRhinehart, that wouldn't be difficult to do. Have a sign company print it on vinyl and cover it with transfer tape. You could cut it all out by hand and apply it yourself fairly easily. The art doesn't have to be super high quality if you don't make them any bigger than 3", and varying the sizes will create an interesting composition.

15 hours ago, MangoRhinehart said:

I love this, I had a similiar thought but get a whole bunch of album covers made up.

Nice work!

Great idea - never thought of having my own stickers made up...

3 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Oh, man - I would love to see this if you ever do it - even mock ups or sketches! What  great idea!

(Me to self: must steal this great idea, make it my own, and tell nobody! MUHAHAHAHAHA - oh shit - did I just type that? DAMMIT!)

I hope someone copies it, and does it better so I can learn from it! That’s the point of sharing!

3 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Super cool idea - but you executed it so well; and that's where the appeal lies! it might look like random chaos to some, but I think you put a lot more thought into  the composition of it all - and to me, it shows.

Thanks very much for the compliment. You’re right, that’s the balance that is hard to strike with this method - “organized chaos”...

22 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Did that make the mask much heavier?

Believe it not I weighed it before and after! 588 grams before, 600 grams after, so the stickers added 12 grams!

ETA: That weight is the shell with padding and chin cup but no backplate, Bauer VTX Fit 1. 

5 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

👆👆👆👆

Fantastic execution @Punisher Goalie!! As I watched the video my OCD wanted you to have the stickers facing certain directions... similar to one another but you knew better... the results speak for themselves. BTW... which Peak Design pack do you own?

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Believe it not I weighed it before and after! 588 grams before, 600 grams after, so the stickers added 12 grams!

ETA: That weight is the shell with padding and chin cup but no backplate, Bauer VTX Fit 1. 

Just picked up an NME VTX Fit 1 myself... can't wait to receive it!! The combination of weight reduction and engineered padding is really what sold me on this over anything else.

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

👆👆👆👆

Fantastic execution @Punisher Goalie!! As I watched the video my OCD wanted you to have the stickers facing certain directions... similar to one another but you knew better... the results speak for themselves. BTW... which Peak Design pack do you own?

Just picked up an NME VTX Fit 1 myself... can't wait to receive it!! The combination of weight reduction and engineered padding is really what sold me on this over anything else.

Thanks! Haha, I was wondering if someone would spot that one... I have the 5L sling bag which I use occasionally, but use the Capture Clip, Clutch, and Slide Lite strap all the time. PD is a great company.

44 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

@Punisher Goaliewow that’s almost nothing! Are even able to feel the difference? I thought would have made it a lot heavier

Yeah, I was worried about it too, which is why I took the before-and-after weights, but no, I can’t detect any difference at all when I’m wearing it. 

15 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

You should spray that with a coat of clear coat.  It'll make it last longer.

I thought this too.  Any autobody shop could do this, but there is the possibility some clear coats would just eat through the stickers.

It's amazing that the mask looks painted.  It's not obvious at all to me these are stickers.   It looks so damn good. 

On 10/3/2019 at 12:24 PM, HP29 said:

This is so fucking bad ass. As a former skate rat, this hits me on so many levels. Well done, @Punisher Goalie!

Thanks, glad you like it!

20 hours ago, Letsgetschmity said:

@Punisher Goalie Should the original coat be sanded off before using stickers? Wouldn't pucks ruin the stickers without? I want to do this, but I'm not sure how to protect the helmet from pucks without clear coat. How should I clear coat something like this?

No, only surface prep that would be necessary is cleaning, perhaps alcohol wipe. I had no issues with adhesion. Almost all of these stickers appeared to be good quality vinyl. Cheaper paper stickers probably won’t work well - at a minimum vinyl stretches a bit and you can use heat to deal with tough spots. 

Yeah, durability is my main concern too, but I’m going to try it out a bit before attempting clear coat. Similar to the vinyl wrapped masks out there, I’m hoping the stickers hold up ok since they are vinyl and should flex a bit with the mask. Also, as a wise teammate put it, “sticker gets damaged, cover with another sticker. Problem solved.”

• 1 month later...

Archived