Wrap Around Attempt to Pass Out Front

litt

I was lucky enough to have one of our player's wife capture this on video - the commentary & the kid skating off like he was about to celly - you can see none of them expected a save out of that one.

Learning from this - I did not push off quick enough to the other side and had to desperation stretch to glove save.

Had a little fun with the video following. You'll also note that sometimes this team likes the "watch the goalie make saves" approach to playing hockey. 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Good save, but it’s gonna make your life a lot easier if you learn to push across with more leverage from the post and not slouching down so much, I learned that too. I  know you said you could’ve pushed across faster but just something to note lol. 

Depends a lot on what kind of pegs you have under the net. Like those ones with the four little picks? Completely useless for keeping the net in place. Any time I try to push off of those the net moves more than I do.

One thing litt could try is keep his post leg slightly more parallel to the goal line, rather than perpendicular; then he could engage the toe or heel of his blade to push across.

1 hour ago, CJ Boiss said:

Depends a lot on what kind of pegs you have under the net. Like those ones with the four little picks? Completely useless for keeping the net in place. Any time I try to push off of those the net moves more than I do.

One thing litt could try is keep his post leg slightly more parallel to the goal line, rather than perpendicular; then he could engage the toe or heel of his blade to push across.

Well, at least if the net is off the play is stopped haha

good point on those two things though, although I use my toe box to push across to get more seal on the post

17 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Good save, but it’s gonna make your life a lot easier if you learn to push across with more leverage from the post and not slouching down so much, I learned that too. I  know you said you could’ve pushed across faster but just something to note lol. 

100% - this has almost been my "first year" back since not playing for 11 years. Changed out all equipment (everything in my original set pretty much deteriorated) and there has been A LOT of learning involved - from equipment to the new styles/techniques, RVH, VH, etc. But yes, working on those pushes from the post, off post and toe/heel of blade. 

16 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Definitely, some pegs don't help. Toe more-so than heel has been my strategy. 

14 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Well, at least if the net is off the play is stopped haha

good point on those two things though, although I use my toe box to push across to get more seal on the post

Most refs don't care or even notice unless its significantly pushed off which unfortunately just puts the goalie at a disadvantage. 

1 hour ago, litt said:

Definitely, some pegs don't help. Toe more-so than heel has been my strategy. 

Heel can be useful if you've jammed the toe of your boot up against the post. The lack of toe box means your blade will contact the ice at a sharper angle; and, while you may not have the power of a full-extension toe push, you don't really need it if you're just trying to get to the other side of the net.

18 hours ago, Imperative said:

multiple break downs on that play, d man fails to get in the passing lane and center fails to pick up shooter. Good save!

The excitement of adult league! Thanks!

17 hours ago, creasecollector said:

That wrap to pass option is always a tricky save. Nice job! 

Now to get over there quicker! Thanks! 

On 10/15/2019 at 6:18 PM, Imperative said:

multiple break downs on that play, d man fails to get in the passing lane and center fails to pick up shooter. Good save!

Honestly, that’s just hockey now at all levels. You even see it regularly in the NHL. Guys either try to block shots or swipe at the puck.  Very little “marking” going on and not much body contact in scoring areas. 

1 hour ago, estogoalie said:

Nice save on the original wrap-around attempt. You could have then maybe tried to cut off the centering pass with your stick. But yea, nice stretch across to make the save.

Definitely, that's usually my "go-to move" to stop that attempt, which if I fail, puts me in a worse position. I think luck helped a little more here than skill haha!

18 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Honestly, that’s just hockey now at all levels. You even see it regularly in the NHL. Guys either try to block shots or swipe at the puck.  Very little “marking” going on and not much body contact in scoring areas. 

It has been unbelievable to watch the lack of defence at the NhL level so far this season, guys have all day in front of the net. The other night Shaw was all alone in front, deflected the first shot, save, shot, save, 3rd shot, goal and there still wasn’t any defender close enough to even touch him. 

Archived