Grant Fuhr Gear History

TheGoalNet

After watching Making Coco, I became interested in Fuhr’s gear history. Specifically, his Oilers’ years.

Anyone know what came first between CCM and DR and which he used during the  cup wins? CCM?

Also, how many cups did he actually backstop and be on the ice for a winning game, 3? Moog was on for 1 and Ranford the other?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread could be several pages, as he was amongst the first to get new gear every season.

I think he  wore both CCM and D&R during the Cup winning years. Somewhere in there he switched to all DR and wore it into Toronto.I know somewhere in Toronto was when he switched to Brown full time. Of course his last years in St. Louis he switched to Franklin (McMartin). As crap as Franklin’s discount store equipment was, their pro equipment was as great as the discount stuff was poor. I know a guy who plays three times per week in a pair of pro stock Franklin players breezers and they wear like iron. The equipment manager threw several pair into the dumpster!

I remember his St.Louis sets. I truly liked his use of colour on those. 

This ought to be a fun thread! The research and photo dating will be HARD work. 

Here he is in Victoria playing for the Cougars wearing a plain white mask and what looks like all Cooper gear:

51+yvw0ZzaL._SY445_.jpg

Then in 81-82 with the NHL club - note he's wearing #1 that first year:

12096227_web1_AP_883026719481_ne20194241

514Xg0DENzL._SX466_.jpg

I think the all white mask was painted to this:

West_Coast_Authentic_NHL_Oilers_Grant_Fu

Then a more Oilers looking mask:

5d96112b311e1.image.png?resize=400,283

Has a bunch of gear there. Koho pads and glove. CCM blocker and a Louisville stick. He also used a blue Vic (heavy as a tree!)

edmonton-oilers-grant-fuhr-8182.jpg

West_Coast_Authentic_NHL_Oilers_Grant_Fu

Moving along - 82-83 Season Fuhr went to iconic the painted mask and John Brown gloves. In his 83 card you can see the new Brown blocker, a Cooper glove and the old Koho pads:

1983-o-pee-chee-27-grant-fuhr-46240.jpg?

When he started wearing #31 - he still wore a solid mask. Here's a picture of him at Practice using the Brown catch glove:

edmonton-oilers-grant-fuhr-practice2.jpg

19 minutes ago, MTH said:

Speaking of beauties:

Who's this?

0ef5ce43-a0e5-4d81-bcc1-aa273e3716ba_1.3

I'm pretty sure it's Fuhr.

Ah yes, the flying ninja kick save.  So. Good.

Some modern guys will still do the opposite hand flair on breakaway saves at the post from the middle........guy shakes to the right blocker side, goalie drops and slides back and over to the post, glove hand goes way up like this. 

Good stuff, great to see.

His 84 card from the 83-84 season showed him wearing Brown pads, a custom colored Cooper catch glove and the iconic mask still. This was the best picture they had of him to use on this card?

Grant-Fuhr.jpg?id=3a133090-5f92-43c3-a3c

In this photo it looks like there was an attempt to dye the Brown blocker and Cooper glove blue:

front.jpg

Eventually his new Cooper gloves broke in (the old days kids...) and he went like this for a while with the Brown pads still:

latest?cb=20101111014556

This is from the 1984 Stanley Cup - so this is how he ended gear wise for the 83-84 season:

goalie-grant-fuhr-defends-the-net-during

In the summer of 1984 - Grant played for Canada in the Canada Cup. Looks like he broke out some fresh as hell CCM gear:

6cc29fd112c3258722a3a597a0332124.jpg

Looks like the first time we see the iconic D&R throat collar too:

goalie-grant-fuhr-of-team-canada-defends

Can't tell if the catch is blue and orange (like the rest of the gear) or red and blue for Canada...

s-l300.jpg

84-85 Season - the 85 OPC card lacks most the gear. I can see the same CCM gloves from the Canada Cup that summer:

149c91d78c0f495e935c7acd5f06c925_front.j

The CCM pads from the Canada cup didn't go to the Oilers. Grant jumped onto the white pad look:

fuhr_oilers_57.jpg

The white and blue pads being used in early January 85:

hqdefault.jpg

The white and blue pads - with the royal and orange CCM gloves still:

hockey-nhl-finals-edmonton-oilers-goalie

End of 1985 in the cup against the Flyers:

174470783.jpg

Grant's signature blue Sher-Wood showed up that season - Grant also took some shots off the old mask that hurt him:

edmonton-oilers-19851103-toronto-maple-l

1297959541423_ORIGINAL_Super_Portrait.jp

85-86 Season:

1986-o-pee-chee-56-grant-fuhr-15374.jpg?

So long solid mask. Kept the same style paint on his new Harrison "mage"

Looks like his CCM pads were still going with the blue outer roll. I see some pictures with the pads with a blue outer roll while still in the solid mask and some with the mask and pads without the blue outer roll.

grant-fuhr-of-the-edmonton-oilers-prepar

steve-thomas-of-the-toronto-maple-leafs-

The blue outer roll pads were in the 86 ASG:

1986-38th-nhl-all-star-game-campbell-b-b

Later in the 85-86 season, he went to pads with a white outer roll again. Same ones in the team picture from that year (that look super clean!):

article_be149861-0915-47ad-b2f1-4dc94c8b

When the Oilers played the Flames in the 86 playoffs - Fuhr had the white outer roll pads on. This is the series where Steve Smith famously scored on Fuhr:

cut.jpeg

Looks like the same CCM gloves the entire season.

86-87 Season.

d43a22d61d42427eb36ef390b06666a8_front.j

The white outer roll CCM pads were back. Looks like another pair of CCM gloves in the same colors as year before. Note the rad orange Sher-Wood.

In lieu of the 1987 NHL ASG - the NHL all stars played in the Rendez-Vous against teams from around the world. Here you can seethe CCM pads with the blue knee rolls and the orange outside nylon.

w0043_large.jpg?v=1486776963

By the spring of 1987, Grant was wearing a new brand, D&R:

goalie-grant-fuhr-of-the-edmonton-oilers

And at the Canada Cup in the summer of 1987 - the pain white pads came out:

s-l300.jpg

Don't they looked dyed/painted?

ind03_fuhr04.jpg

87-88 Seaon:

His 1988 OPC card had the same pads from the 87 Canada Cup:

cb0bf67c-5f45-4343-92ab-4e2f362a1660.jpg

Grant played an amazing 75 games that season. This was his pinnacle while with the Oilers as he played less the following year and dealth with some issues after. Was also the final year Gretzky was on the team.

He was still using the iconic mask. Full D&R and Sher-Wood sticks.

Looks like he got another D&R set of pads with the same colorways as the year before:

A1S7_1_20170926196386687.jpg

Also, the D&R blocker went from white logos to a face with a shiny orange and royal logos too.

71a75c7b4bb0707ee0b1daf5428b128e_1024x10

29247.jpg

Nice shot of his beautiful gear....

On 10/29/2019 at 7:16 AM, Scythe said:

His Oilers mask is in the HOF. Hoping to make another trip up there. They added so much more about masks since the first time i went. 

P200301S.jpg

I was at the HHOF a few weeks ago and didn't see any Fuhr masks. Not in the mask exhibit anyways. Maybe they pulled it out to do promotion for the movie???

Of course I am getting old and blind so who knows... I did spend a solid 40 minutes drooling at that exhibit and getting in everyones way. 

The only Oilers mask I saw was Dave Drydens early cage combo he collaborated with Harrison on. 

21 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

The rarest set pads he wore where the D&R Laser ones. It's hard to find images of him wearing them. There was one on Instagram that showed him in them at an all star game with a story on how he didn't wear them after.

139523_med.jpeg

Anyone know what's up with the spray painted logos? I don't think the NHL had logo rules back then

On 10/29/2019 at 1:37 PM, MTH said:

86-87 Season.

d43a22d61d42427eb36ef390b06666a8_front.j

The white outer roll CCM pads were back. Looks like another pair of CCM gloves in the same colors as year before. Note the rad orange Sher-Wood.

In lieu of the 1987 NHL ASG - the NHL all stars played in the Rendez-Vous against teams from around the world. Here you can seethe CCM pads with the blue knee rolls and the orange outside nylon.

w0043_large.jpg?v=1486776963

By the spring of 1987, Grant was wearing a new brand, D&R:

goalie-grant-fuhr-of-the-edmonton-oilers

And at the Canada Cup in the summer of 1987 - the pain white pads came out:

s-l300.jpg

Don't they looked dyed/painted?

ind03_fuhr04.jpg

Were most of his changes endorsement related?

Archived