2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

On 8/11/2017 at 12:11 PM, Iso said:

@Brians_Joz If one is putting in an order for a custom setup from Brians now, would it be possible to get an Opt1k set or at least some of the new features (thinner profile, material, etc)?

Since it is around a 8 week waiting period that almost brings the finished order to the end november if the order is placed now, is it possible?

Specs of the OPTIK are exclusive to the line especially until after launch, then I'm sure some specs can be transferred onto other lines. 

Customizer will come out next month, generally pre-orders begin then but can order anytime, just know the PRODUCTION of OPTIK does not begin until Nov 1 (maybe a little before) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a pic of the face of the Optik on Kasimir Kaskisuo, who is a Leafs' prospect.

In green; the outer roll has been greatly minimized on the new pad.

If you are wondering why? The outer roll is very similar to the knee roll in that it no longer provides much functionality to the pad. I expect this to become a wider industry trend as OEMs look to reduce weight

IMG_8597.JPG

On 8/22/2017 at 11:49 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Here's a pic of the face of the Optik on Kasimir Kaskisuo, who is a Leafs' prospect.

In green; the outer roll has been greatly minimized on the new pad.

If you are wondering why? The outer roll is very similar to the knee roll in that it no longer provides much functionality to the pad. I expect this to become a wider industry trend as OEMs look to reduce weight

Ever since pads have become, in essence, blocks of foam with a covering, the outer roll has become vestigial. The outer roll is basically what helped retain the shape of the pad and prevented it from rolling into weird shapes. I am really surprised that the outer roll has remained on modern pads as long as it has, frankly.

Vestigial to be sure. On a personal note though, I would hate to see them disappear altogether as they have been such an integral part of the pad “persona” for so long.

I can see that in the drive to reduce weight, eliminating them could be a bonus, and agree, with the board-like pads of today they no longer have any structural value, but…

Since the move to something other than horsehide and kapok, the pad face has become an “artist’s canvas” and the outer roll has been a special delineation point. It will be interesting to see if the removal of the roll is something people embrace for a cleaner canvas, or if the roll line is too ingrained in goalies to totally remove (a simple pleat or stitch line would probably do the same thing).

In my world, this is akin to the first time I saw a set of all white pads (late ‘70s/early ‘80s). My first thought was “that guy’s wearing street hockey pads on the ice!” When I realized they were “for real” my next thought was “that won’t last” - hmmm....

50 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

Vestigial to be sure. On a personal note though, I would hate to see them disappear altogether as they have been such an integral part of the pad “persona” for so long.

I can see that in the drive to reduce weight, eliminating them could be a bonus, and agree, with the board-like pads of today they no longer have any structural value, but…

Since the move to something other than horsehide and kapok, the pad face has become an “artist’s canvas” and the outer roll has been a special delineation point. It will be interesting to see if the removal of the roll is something people embrace for a cleaner canvas, or if the roll line is too ingrained in goalies to totally remove (a simple pleat or stitch line would probably do the same thing).

In my world, this is akin to the first time I saw a set of all white pads (late ‘70s/early ‘80s). My first thought was “that guy’s wearing street hockey pads on the ice!” When I realized they were “for real” my next thought was “that won’t last” - hmmm....

I almost ordered my last pads without the outer block/roll. I may do that for the next set. I have never had that prevent a goal. Glove cheaters do work, but outer rolls? Not that I have noticed...

Loved seeing white pads back in the day.

1 hour ago, goalie said:

Purpose is to stop pucks rolling over you pad face. Also pretty good arm rests.

Besides it would look freaky without them

I've found if the puck is determined to skip over my pads, it will! I think there is considerable weight to be saved in shedding the outer roll, especially with the pocket made for the foam.

I don't disagree about them looking weird without the outer rolls; after all- it took a long time for knee rolls to almost disappear. 

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I've found if the puck is determined to skip over my pads, it will! I think there is considerable weight to be saved in shedding the outer roll, especially with the pocket made for the foam.

I don't disagree about them looking weird without the outer rolls; after all- it took a long time for knee rolls to almost disappear. 

Look at OD1N & Optik - a minimal outer roll is all that's required now. I believe the skip over concern is probably 1 in 1000 shots. Consumers will be happier with a lighter pad. The trade off of weight savings will out weigh the befit of saving that 1 in 1000 shots 

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I can totally see the merit on making the lightest gloves. But when the companies keep cutting ounces off pads it is getting silly. I got the new CCM Eflex3 with the new straps to make them lighter - what crap.

But you are correct taking the V roll off would probably be a pick up on weight reduction.

28 minutes ago, goalie said:

... But when the companies keep cutting ounces off pads it is getting silly. I got the new CCM Eflex3 with the new straps to make them lighter - what crap...

Well, the funny part is it's not just a mass reduction but a cost savings to the manufacturer both due to the (slight) reduction of materials (foam in the roll plus the extra material to make the roll), and more so, the the reduced cost to fab the roll and stuff it separately.

But.... if the manufacturers follow through, they will market it as (to use the vernacular from back in the day) "new age", "high tech", "state of the art" refinements that will save you soooo much weight, you can't live without it - and up the price it "accordingly"

Archived