Jump to content

Pad popoff in Finnish league


Mroy31
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't understand a word of it other than I think the guy on the left is Niklas Backstrom, but given they used a CCM pad for the in studio part I'm assuming they're talking about the Velcro strapping and not a brand thing (this would be perfect for the Bauer haters to jump all over  Edit: It was a Gnetik IV pad). 

I feel like a rule should be put in place for a whole pad coming off. You can hide your hand, but not so much your leg. But it's such a rare thing it probably doesn't matter if the rule were put in or not

Edited by Mroy31
misidentified pad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree the game should have been stopped like when a goalie looses his mask. Regarding the pad coming off, it looks like it was ripped off by a player who got his stick wrapped between the goalies thigh and inside of the top off the pad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting- you would think that a loss of any piece of equipment on a goalie that the game should be stopped. I say this due to the safety concern associated with such a scenario it’s not like we see goalies loosing pieces of equipment on a regular basis ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Interesting- you would think that a loss of any piece of equipment on a goalie that the game should be stopped. I say this due to the safety concern associated with such a scenario it’s not like we see goalies loosing pieces of equipment on a regular basis ?

Especially with something like a pad.

I kind've understand (though still disagree) with not blowing the play dead if a goalie loses his helmet: some guys wear their helmet real loose, and can throw their lid off with a quick sharp movement of their head, and if they can do that to stop a scoring opportunity then they will (I say, if a goalie has a habit of losing his helmet then give him delay of game penalties until he straps it up more tightly).

But if that's why plays aren't immediately whistled dead when a goalie loses their helmet, it makes no sense to treat losing gloves or pads in the same manner. No goalie ever intentionally loses their gloves or pads, and if they've been ripped away by a player, regardless of what team the player is on, then the play should be whistled dead. Same as if the net got knocked off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other thing is that if a player loses a piece of equipment, they can just change. It may still be a struggle if they lose a blade, but they can be replaced with another teammate. 

Although it would be a hell of a play to see the backup change on the fly, not exactly feasible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2020 at 9:03 PM, Mroy31 said:

I don't understand a word of it other than I think the guy on the left is Niklas Backstrom, but given they used a CCM pad for the in studio part I'm assuming they're talking about the Velcro strapping and not a brand thing (this would be perfect for the Bauer haters to jump all over). 

He says that there isn't leather straps anymore and velcros might lost the force after some use. Nothing bad about any brand. 

5725336.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Korppi32 said:

He says that there isn't leather straps anymore and velcros might lost the force after some use. Nothing bad about any brand. 

5725336.jpg

For some reason that pattern on the back of the thigh rise made me think it was a Bauer pad where they put a patch of Curv, didn't even realize it was a Gnetik IV.  Thanks for that pic, man that's a lot of force with the falling and the stick caught on the post.  Total random accident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is why I think companies should still offer a strap option, at retail and custom. Just like Warrior has a replacement kit of velcro elastics, leather and nylon straps should be something available as an option.

Warrior is the only velcro approach pad that offers a nylon snap strap at the knee to prevent such an incident to occur. Once again, Warrior is looking very good in terms of innovation and logic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I'm not asking this as some kind of galaxy brain "all velcro saves lives/knees" perspective, but what do we think happens if he's got a fixed strap or two on there?  Probably just falls differently?  Maybe an injury, but again that can be attributed more to the uniqueness of the situation and not a pad design flaw.

Do we think this is why some pros actually still have the one or two leather straps that definitely don't do anything?  Maybe we thought it was just a familiarity thing, but actually for this reason?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

So I'm not asking this as some kind of galaxy brain "all velcro saves lives/knees" perspective, but what do we think happens if he's got a fixed strap or two on there?  Probably just falls differently?  Maybe an injury, but again that can be attributed more to the uniqueness of the situation and not a pad design flaw.

Do we think this is why some pros actually still have the one or two leather straps that definitely don't do anything?  Maybe we thought it was just a familiarity thing, but actually for this reason?

If he had fixed straps on those pads? The rotation of the stick against the post would've dragged him out of the crease.

I knew, before I even bought my first pads, I'd never feel comfortable wearing something without a leather or nylon strap, for exactly this reason; just don't trust velcro (or elastics, to an extent) to keep my pads where I want them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this is maybe the second time a pad has come off since the velcro "revolution". I don't think this is something many of us would need to worry about, I think we're just not used to the possibility of this happening.

I do wonder if different velcro systems to add a more secure attachment to the leg. Take Warrior pads for an example. With the one massive velcro attachment there is a lot more force to be needed to torque the pad off of a goalies leg. Hell, I've had similar situations as the video and just been dragged along instead of losing my pad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I think this is maybe the second time a pad has come off since the velcro "revolution". I don't think this is something many of us would need to worry about, I think we're just not used to the possibility of this happening.

I do wonder if different velcro systems to add a more secure attachment to the leg. Take Warrior pads for an example. With the one massive velcro attachment there is a lot more force to be needed to torque the pad off of a goalies leg. Hell, I've had similar situations as the video and just been dragged along instead of losing my pad. 

?tab=comments

There are velcro systems that are so secure that it almost requires tools to separate. I would even say that the elastic would fail before the bond would break in some cases! Of course you can see actual hooks in the hook side. I don’t know that I would want to see the advent of that, per se. I use this type of velcro on the bottoms of e-drum pedals (kit advance, e-hi hat and e-bass drum), hi hat pedals and bass drum pedals on drum rugs. It tears the hell out of the rugs, eventually; it also guarantees no movement! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

There are velcro systems that are so secure that it almost requires tools to separate. I would even say that the elastic would fail before the bond would break in some cases! Of course you can see actual hooks in the hook side. I don’t know that I would want to see the advent of that, per se. I use this type of velcro on the bottoms of e-drum pedals (kit advance, e-hi hat and e-bass drum), hi hat pedals and bass drum pedals on drum rugs. It tears the hell out of the rugs, eventually; it also guarantees no movement! 

But you'd still need to facilitate easy on/off. Overly secure velcro is great if you never plan to get undressed. :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I think this is maybe the second time a pad has come off since the velcro "revolution". I don't think this is something many of us would need to worry about, I think we're just not used to the possibility of this happening.

I do wonder if different velcro systems to add a more secure attachment to the leg. Take Warrior pads for an example. With the one massive velcro attachment there is a lot more force to be needed to torque the pad off of a goalies leg. Hell, I've had similar situations as the video and just been dragged along instead of losing my pad. 

When a 250lbs over weight beer leaguer wth 1/8" of blade left attempts to cut in to tip it over your shoulder, chances are he'll take off more than just your pad lollll

Edited by RichMan
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Lived that fantasy; he got the goal because I wanted to walk after the game!

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

At that point I'm hoping to keep my knees.

bahhh, just lay out for the Johnny Bower poke check.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/6/2020 at 7:42 PM, RichMan said:

This is why I think companies should still offer a strap option, at retail and custom. Just like Warrior has a replacement kit of velcro elastics, leather and nylon straps should be something available as an option.

Warrior is the only velcro approach pad that offers a nylon snap strap at the knee to prevent such an incident to occur. Once again, Warrior is looking very good in terms of innovation and logic.

I think Brian's and Warrior are doing alot of good things in terms of innovation. I'm a little skeptical of Warrior quality tho, I'm using RGT PRO pants and CA this season, and while I really like them in terms of fit and design, I've had some small things like buttons fall off and thread come out. I don't like that they make their PRO stuff in China, and I'm not saying China made stuff is all bad, but on the other hand, I don't recall ever having gear made in Canada that had quality issues. My Canadian made Brian's stuff is solid and somehow has a more quality feel to it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Warrior, I love my CA and pants and would buy them again, just wish they were made a little better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...