Rotator Cuff

Naz

2 nights ago I tore my blocker hand rotator cuff in my shoulder in the 3rd period.

Have any of you had this injury, and if so how long did you take off playing?  I can only raise my hand about 2 inches from my side.

18 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Hope you’re better soon.

Thank you sir.

Had decades of knee issues, this is a first for ANYthing shoulder related for me in my life.  Hoping I am not off for too long.

5 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Should probably talk to a doctor, first. Injuries can vary in type and intensity.

Already saw the Dr, and had an UltraSound.  Partial tear, no surgery required.  Torn about halfway.

I suffered a shoulder injury diving off my dock back in mid August.  I held off on seeing my doctor and got back to playing about 2 months later.  Progress has been somewhat slow but I've gotten stronger over the last couple months.   I did end up seeing a doc right before Thanksgiving, but I still haven't gone for imaging.  He gave me some rehab stretches and workouts that I've been doing.  Again, there's slow progress.  Now that we're into a new year I've got imaging scheduled to figure out exactly what's going on in there as the healing hasn't been as fast as my doc and I were hoping. 

About 8 years ago, I had a 2-0 breakaway and, with a last second pass, flung my glove arm up and away violently first as I changed my direction.  There was a loud pop and everyone, including the ref, stopped and looked at me, asking if I was okay.  My shoulder felt funny at first, but not a ton of pain.  I played the rest of the game and went home sore.  Next morning, I wake up, can't lift my arm up more than 2 inches in any direction..lots of pain.   It was a few weeks before I regained motion and the soreness has been there ever since.  I waited a month before starting again.  I tweaked it again over a month ago and its just starting to get back to it's old minorly painful self. 

2 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

About 8 years ago, I had a 2-0 breakaway and, with a last second pass, flung my glove arm up and away violently first as I changed my direction.  There was a loud pop and everyone, including the ref, stopped and looked at me, asking if I was okay.  My shoulder felt funny at first, but not a ton of pain.  I played the rest of the game and went home sore.  Next morning, I wake up, can't lift my arm up more than 2 inches in any direction..lots of pain.   It was a few weeks before I regained motion and the soreness has been there ever since.  I waited a month before starting again.  I tweaked it again over a month ago and its just starting to get back to it's old minorly painful self. 

I hyperextended my delt ONE TIME covering the puck and now it pops any time I put any weight on my hand when I cover. I'm only 33. Shoulders, hips, and knees only get worse with time. OP wants to act like a BA, but that's gonna cost him so much later in life.

11 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I hyperextended my delt ONE TIME covering the puck and now it pops any time I put any weight on my hand when I cover. I'm only 33. Shoulders, hips, and knees only get worse with time. OP wants to act like a BA, but that's gonna cost him so much later in life.

Oh hell no, not trying to be BA.  Was making a joke that I will probably be my usual stupid stubborn male self.  I'm 48 and have been through multiple concussions, knee surgeries and a Heart Attack... I know the value of proper rehab.  Intent of the post was to find out if anyone had experienced something similar and to inquire as to how long guys have been out with it.

1 minute ago, Naz said:

Oh hell no, not trying to be BA.  Was making a joke that I will probably be my usual stupid stubborn male self.  I'm 48 and have been through multiple concussions, knee surgeries and a Heart Attack... I know the value of proper rehab.  Intent of the post was to find out if anyone had experienced something similar and to inquire as to how long guys have been out with it.

All good dude. Yes it's hard to fight the temptation to come back too soon. But you'll be glad you did. What helped me during my back problems this November was coming to the rink with my team and hanging out on the bench and helping with coaching and line changes. It's not exactly playing, but it's better than sitting at home twiddling your thumbs. Be safe and follow your PT rigorously! 

Well this discussion has been somewhat sobering. 3 years ago today at our weekly drop in I managed to bugger my left shoulder up on a windmill save on a pretty hard shot. I didn't regard it as something being worthy of a doctor visit at the time. I'll be honest, I have a tendency to ignore issues that aren't emergencies or have not been persistent problems that don't go away without rest. I played sparingly, but would play if needed, and then ended up taking the last 3 weeks of hockey off entirely because it got to be too much. I don't do anything crazy as far as physical exertion during the offseason, so by time hockey fired up again I was feeling fine.

I aggravated it again late last winter,  it happened from some slight incidental contact while playing defence. It was relatively minor, and I was having some knee issues at the end of the year anyway so I mostly stuck to playing out and didn't have much trouble.

This past November it flared up again while playing defence, in exactly the same scenario as last year but it was a bit less incidental and more of one of those situations where a guy used to playing high level senior hockey doesn't know how to tone it down in a rec tournament. This time, it's bad. Persistent pain while doing nothing. Increased pain caused by regular every day life stuff. Shooting pains. My sleep quantity and quality has probably been cut in half, which is really concerning in itself because my work days already stretch to about 14.5 hours away from home, and I am switching between day and night shifts in the middle of my work week. So, finally, off to the doctor.

Had an x-ray and ultrasound in mid-December. I was honestly hoping for some sort of cut and dried issue. Instead, the results came back with mild acromioclavicular joint degenerative changes, supra and infraspinatus tendonosis, a calcified deposit, and bursitis. Had a cortisone shot a week ago. Some improved mobility without causing pain, but all the stationary and at rest issues are still there. Had my assessment visit with the physiotherapist on Friday. Got a stretching routine set up, follow up appointments booked.

I have to say, I was stupid for not going to the doctor the first time around. Historically, my experience with the health care system has left me pretty jaded. But this experience has started to change that. Things have moved a lot quicker than expected.

And much the same, I was an idiot for continuing to play as much as I did. I've always felt some level of guilt. Like it is necessary to be there when they need me. Our local hockey scene has been in decline for the last 5 years or so, and I've always had a subconscious concern that if a guy doesn't make an effort to keep things going then you can lose it all together. And I think it's entirely possible our weekly drop ins could end up a thing of the past. I know how much it sucks to play posts, and attendance can drop pretty quick.

Between this thread and my physiotherapist mentioning that the state of my shoulder leaves me at fairly high risk of a rotator cuff tear, I've come to realize it is time to get my priorities straight. Going to follow the routine religiously. Going to look into similar stretching routines for the rest of my body as well, because it is evident my flexibility has decreased a lot. And when I'm well enough, I have the intention of getting back to the gym at least a couple times per week, something I haven't done for about 5 years now.

• 2 months later...

@Naz I had a large tear in my left rotator cuff about 2 years ago that I ended up getting surgically repaired given how debilitating it was. Post op recovery was about 8 months until I could go back to sports. Probably 10-12 months before it felt100%. It’d say it feels just as good as it ever did pre-tear.

my right shoulder had/has some damage as well but dr didn’t recommend the same surgery (yet). Said to monitor and use PT. I had a bad flare up about 1 year ago. I did a diving poke check type move and it felt like I dislocated my right shoulder. With light test and PT I was back playing in a month. And 6 mos later it was near back to normal. 1 year later and it feels great. Hope that helps.

Nice to hear a story where repair surgery hasn't caused more complications.  Please update us if you have any changes. 

I forgot about this thread till the above reminder but wanted to update as well. 

Late Jan. early Feb. I am driving my 40 minute drive to my Sunday game and my shoulder is just nagging now.  It was bag to it's old painful self, but something wasn't right.  I am stretching in my truck, upper body leans, pulling my arms every way possible, but trying to loosen up this left shoulder that is bugging me.  I reached back and behind (like putting a jacket on), focused on rolling through the full motion in my back and left arm.  There was another pop and I felt a thing lol.  Not as loud as 8 years ago, but just wtf lol. 

Suddenly, my arm and shoulder felt better more than the past eight years.  I just pictured Mel Gibson fixing his shoulder in Lethal Weapon lol.  So.  I am not a doctor, and not telling you to do try to do or force what I did, as I don't know what triggered it, I've been stretching this injury out for 8 years.  I did not want the doctor bills for trying to discover and a surgery 8 years ago.  If my arm worked, it wasn't broken and a requirement.  It is not 100% today but it went from a 3-4 out of 10 on a pain scale to about 1.  8 gd years and it's just back I still can't believe it.  I also, upon last injuring it in Jan., switched which side of the bed I sleep on with the wife so that I could sleep on my right shoulder keeping the injured shoulder up when holding her and I think that helped alot as well.

@dstew29 and @dreadlocked1 thanks for those updates.  Both of those give me hope.  I was off the ice for about 6 weeks and it was feeling much better.  Had returned to full range of motion and just some weakness.  2 weeks ago I was feeling really good... and of course, re-injured the damn thing.  
Initially, I did see a Dr and also an Orthopaedic surgeon who I play hockey with.  Had the UltraSound done and it was determined there was no tear of the Rotator Cuff, just extreme soft tissue damage.  So thankfully, no surgery required.
With local arenas all having closed now due to COVID-19, there is no danger of me being an idiot and going back on the ice for a while.

Archived