G4/ GT2 feel the same?

Quadzilla32

On the fence of picking up new set of Warrior gloves and was trying on the G4 pro and GT2 pro at my LHS and had some questions. When I put on the G4 glove it took a lot more effort to close the glove, granted its not broken and but I have heard several remarks that its pretty much easy closure from day one. Would not closing right away just be the glove breaking in or does the break of the glove play a factor? the glove has the stock 70/75 break palm in it, the palm protection was still in the glove and was slightly easier to close once I removed that.

As for the GT/2 it seemed very easy to close right away and had the snappiness to it that I was expecting. The double tee however seemed to be pretty flimsy and easily pushed in. has anyone had any issues of pucks hitting the tee and bouncing off?

I am coming from a Simmons 999 gloves and have been getting a lot of pucks popping out or just hitting it and falling out. This could be do to me, but the glove is very pancake style and big. Has anyone had any trouble going to a more "catching" style glove? when I look at the warrior gloves and try them on they seem so much smaller than my other gloves and I am hesitant to give up that extra blocking/catching surface.

Honestly I might not be a big enough gear snob, but when I was trying the gloves on back to back besides the closure issues they felt like the same glove.

I have the GT2 Senior model and I like it a lot. I also came from a Simmons pancake style glove (forget the name of the model) and felt the difference right away. It took me awhile to close it effectively. I sat on the couch with it for a week opening and closing it. Once I figured out the strapping and getting it to fit my hand properly, I've liked it a lot. At first, I hated it, but I've gotten used to it.

This might be me, but a lot of the time I end up trying to catch the puck in my palm. I mean it will pop out pretty far, but I would rather catch it and keep it caught. I still like the glove though.

I have a GT2 and would never have considered any other Warrior glove.  Just trying one on in the store the differences may seem subtle, but try wearing the GT2 for about 15 minutes.  Then try doing the same with the G4.  For me at least the steeper thumb angle of the G4 made my hand hurt and made catching the puck feel awkward.  The GT2 on the other hand offers a more natural thumb angle.  While it's still not as comfortable for me as my VE8 or CCM 590 it is at least useable.  The glove is very light and extremely well balanced and I have no issues with pop outs.  One thing I do is skip using the thumb and pinkie loops on this glove so my hand lines up more comfortably.  Given how light the glove is, and how easy it is to tighten up on your hand I don't miss these at all.  Oh yeah, break-in:. I got my GT2 and my 590 roughly 3 weeks apart last spring.  The Warrior glove was game ready in a couple days.  The CCM still feels fairly stiff by comparison.

31 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

I have a GT2 and would never have considered any other Warrior glove.  Just trying one on in the store the differences may seem subtle, but try wearing the GT2 for about 15 minutes.  Then try doing the same with the G4.  For me at least the steeper thumb angle of the G4 made my hand hurt and made catching the puck feel awkward.  The GT2 on the other hand offers a more natural thumb angle.  While it's still not as comfortable for me as my VE8 or CCM 590 it is at least useable.  The glove is very light and extremely well balanced and I have no issues with pop outs.  One thing I do is skip using the thumb and pinkie loops on this glove so my hand lines up more comfortably.  Given how light the glove is, and how easy it is to tighten up on your hand I don't miss these at all.  Oh yeah, break-in:. I got my GT2 and my 590 roughly 3 weeks apart last spring.  The Warrior glove was game ready in a couple days.  The CCM still feels fairly stiff by comparison.

Ya when I was closing the g4 it actually felt like something in my hand was getting pinched but I chalked it up to glove bring harder too close. I like the double T and bigger pocket of the gt but don’t know if there is a big improvement in the g4 over the gt besides the changeable palms.  G4’s are marked down right now so if they feel the same and break in similar the savings might push me one way. 

Kind of sucks not being able to play in the gloves too see what one feels better

Breaking either glove in won't make a difference. They'll both break in in relatively the same fashion.

Honestly, the only real major difference between the gloves are how your hand sits in them. The G4 will feel more shallow in comparison to the GT2. The GT2 feels more akin to holding a cup whereas the G4 feels more like a traditional 75 degree break glove.

I wouldn't worry about the break in and focus more on which feels more comfortable hand position wise and if the removable palms is a major attraction or not.

TL;DR: They're almost the same glove.

22 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Breaking either glove in won't make a difference. They'll both break in in relatively the same fashion.

Honestly, the only real major difference between the gloves are how your hand sits in them. The G4 will feel more shallow in comparison to the GT2. The GT2 feels more akin to holding a cup whereas the G4 feels more like a traditional 75 degree break glove.

I wouldn't worry about the break in and focus more on which feels more comfortable hand position wise and if the removable palms is a major attraction or not.

TL;DR: They're almost the same glove.

That's my predicament is that both gloves feel about the same to me when you put them on. The only difference I felt was that the G4 was harder to close, but that can be fixed. I don't think I have the equipment knowledge to really fell the difference. Ill probably just have to sit there and have the glove on my hand for a couple minutes to really feel any difference. I can say that the G4 did feel harder to get my hand into and the strapping felt a little awkward, but again I didn't mess with that too much.

36 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

That's my predicament is that both gloves feel about the same to me when you put them on. The only difference I felt was that the G4 was harder to close, but that can be fixed. I don't think I have the equipment knowledge to really fell the difference. Ill probably just have to sit there and have the glove on my hand for a couple minutes to really feel any difference. I can say that the G4 did feel harder to get my hand into and the strapping felt a little awkward, but again I didn't mess with that too much.

Strapping is identical between the two gloves.

Really the only differences are:
- G4 will have a removable palm so it will feel a tad more marshmallow-y
- G4 comes stock with a single T vs the stock double T on the GT2
- GT2 has a more forward/relaxed thumb position that will feel more baseball mitt like vs, the G4.

They're very, very similar gloves.

2 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I brought my Simmons 996 glove to Pure Hockey to compare against the G4, GT1 and GT2.  Only the GT2 felt good on my hand like my Simmons glove so I will have to get the GT2 or G5 with the new thumb angle.

Try the Brians IV in comparison

I´d say GT and G4  look similar . Maybe I am brainwashed but after the original GT GT2 feels much better and bigger. Palm is smaller and pocket is bigger. GT2 also close much better and smoother, T of GT was always twisting when closing it. Overall feels like the quality is also better after one season. 

i had g4 gloves and wanted to try the gt2, i actually sent the gt2 back and kept the g4 set, 

why?

the gt2 was bigger internally for my small hands, same closure 

if you tried a g4 pro in shop it prob had the removable pro palm fitted under the removable glove liner, this adds lots of stiffness to the glove

On 2/12/2020 at 1:51 PM, dreadlocked1 said:

I brought my Simmons 996 glove to Pure Hockey to compare against the G4, GT1 and GT2.  Only the GT2 felt good on my hand like my Simmons glove so I will have to get the GT2 or G5 with the new thumb angle.

My understanding was that the G5 kept the traditional Warrior thumb angle and the GT2 was the only glove with the new (better IMHO) thumb position.   Hopefully I'm wrong on that!

Archived