Deep Dive: CCM Axis

TheGoalNet

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So what is actually new compared to the P2?

The only commonality with P2 is the strapping. In my opinion, this is more like a spin off from the EFlex than an updated P2. 

Basic concept:

-stiff upper

-stiff torsionally 

- soft boot 

- hard rebound 

- square inner edge 

- fast slide 

TGN - this is more of tease than a deep dive: will you be providing some feedback following some on ice sessions shortly ?

Question: is that weave material on the pads (and not a fake weave) ? What is the material on the knuckle of the glove ? Also are you using any speed skin on this set ?

Wore the gear 1 time. Way too soon to take a formal stance on it. However, people are curious and with the Lefevre excitement and understanding CCM's future is particularly interesting right now

I have some "proof" that isn't mine to share, but I trust that CCM has done 80% of the design work for their partnership with Lefevre starting with EFlex. They know what goalies are asking for it and how to create it. When I first saw Axis, I was sort of underwhelmed. Not because I didn't think they could make a good pad, but because I expected them to be reinventing the wheel. They didn't and it's probably because it's not required. Axis takes the winning parts of EFlex, the elements that make Premier different from EFlex, and throws them in a hotel with a couple bottles of champagne and chocolates... 

After I took them out of the box, my first thought was, whoa, this is playable. I used them in a game the same day they came in. I normally get in a couple pick ups before I take something into a game.

Thoughts:

- Sliding hugely improved vs EFlex or Premier. Speed Skin still slowed down a bit on 3rd period ice, but it's not nearly as bad as it was.

- Perfect balance of flexibility where I want it and stiffness where I need it

- Rebounds are harder than P2

- New blocker cuff is legit and the rebounds felt harder too

- CCM strapping is still the best in the business and Axis felt effortless to jump into

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Pretty much, used a 1S a month before and that's about it.

I know you're a 580 guy, so let me know how the transition is. I can't imagine a more stark difference than between those two types of breaks.

I hate every 580 i've ever tried on in store.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

- CCM strapping is still the best in the business and Axis felt effortless to jump into

Says this without ever wearing warrior. 😜

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Says this without ever wearing warrior. 😜

Having used both brands last year I agree 100%.  CCM was quite good, but Warrior... that was the most natural feeling pad I've ever tried right out of the box, and the new Dual Fit system makes it even better!

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, rlwillis33 said:

@TheGoalNet did you order the same size as you eflex4 goal pads? 

With respect to the thigh rise, it looks like the plus 1 measures at 9 1/2 inches from the end of the knee stack (someone measured for me), my P2 plus 1 measures at close to 8 inches, lots of extra space on the Axis, if you are going more than 1 inch just be careful.  

received_188787235570667.jpeg

received_831287890611814.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Archived