TGN Bauer Ultra Sonic

TheGoalNet

The huge piece of velcro on the calf wrap looks like a good idea, but I don't like that they don't give an option to wrap the knee-cradle to the opposite side (ie: you have to connect the knee cradle to the calf-wrap). I know that's the trend, but still, wouldn't hurt to give the option...

9 minutes ago, Deltadre said:

Are those tabs for a professor strap (or rotation strap) I've circled in blue?  Sorry for the yellow color, I tried to highlight it and it didn't work so well with the red backdrop of the pads.Capture.thumb.JPG.1f2a450d5fa0bb4612099016e1aa89a6.JPG

would be awesome if a professor strap was an option.  I added the Kenesky one to my 2X pads and it made a huge difference.  Before that I was slipping off the knee stack once or twice a game.

5 minutes ago, Telfo said:

would be awesome if a professor strap was an option.  I added the Kenesky one to my 2X pads and it made a huge difference.  Before that I was slipping off the knee stack once or twice a game.

I added one as well to my 1X pads for that same reason.  I'd love this option because I'm not 100% comfortable attaching my professor strap to the cord that runs through the pad.  My strap is nylon and I'm worried it's pulling too hard on the cord.  All that to say, if these were included, that's a great option to have much like Brian's did with the Optik 2s.

48 minutes ago, Deltadre said:

I added one as well to my 1X pads for that same reason.  I'd love this option because I'm not 100% comfortable attaching my professor strap to the cord that runs through the pad.  My strap is nylon and I'm worried it's pulling too hard on the cord.  All that to say, if these were included, that's a great option to have much like Brian's did with the Optik 2s.

I had mine made out of elastic so it didnt put too much pressure on the cord, but yeah I agree its not great and best to be avoided.  Hoping for a stock option.

1 hour ago, Telfo said:

Which way were you slipping off? I'm just starting out, and I fear that I'm slipping off the bottom towards the calf a bit and I'm wondering if adding a Kenesky strap would help.

Edited by johncho

7 minutes ago, johncho said:

Which way were you slipping off? I'm just starting out, and I fear that I'm slipping off the bottom towards the calf a bit and I'm wondering if adding a Kenesky strap would help.

off the back.  I was wearing pretty bulky knee pads at the time and that combined with the relatively small knee block on the vapor pads was causing the problem I think.  The Kenesky strap helped a ton.

22 hours ago, estogoalie said:

The huge piece of velcro on the calf wrap looks like a good idea, but I don't like that they don't give an option to wrap the knee-cradle to the opposite side (ie: you have to connect the knee cradle to the calf-wrap). I know that's the trend, but still, wouldn't hurt to give the option...

You can expect that the UltraSonic will have the same knee wing options that the 2x has had for the past year. Those are:

1. Removable/adjustable knee wing

2. No knee wing

Looks like TGN has order no knee wing. If you want to strap to the knee wing, you will have that option

2 hours ago, Telfo said:

This is off topic, but have you had any issues with the assembly lace on your 2x stretching when using the Kenesky strap? The lace on my first set of 2x Pros stretched about 3 inches so I kept having to readjust my kenesky straps. I've been afraid to put them back on my second set.

13 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

This is off topic, but have you had any issues with the assembly lace on your 2x stretching when using the Kenesky strap? The lace on my first set of 2x Pros stretched about 3 inches so I kept having to readjust my kenesky straps. I've been afraid to put them back on my second set.

it stretched a bit but nothing I couldnt pretty easily fix after I removed them.  My kenesky strap was elastic though so it probably didnt put as much pressure on it as the nylon one would have.

14 minutes ago, Telfo said:

it stretched a bit but nothing I couldnt pretty easily fix after I removed them.  My kenesky strap was elastic though so it probably didnt put as much pressure on it as the nylon one would have.

I have the Nylon. Funny thing is on my 1X, it never stretched. Very frustrating. BTW you have almost the exact same colors as I do (I have black top spears).

42 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

TuneFit was a pro option for 2s so this may be a retail option now that TGN has chosen.

The secretive descriptions I've seen so far of the pad in general mentioned updated strapping.  This may very well just be the tune fit option, but still curious overall since the tab at least isn't stock tune fit.  I noticed the same thing @Deltadre pointed out too, and was wondering if it's a pro-custom (or whatever that program is called) option now, or another part of some new CRS or evolved TuneFit strapping system.

10 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

The secretive descriptions I've seen so far of the pad in general mentioned updated strapping.  This may very well just be the tune fit option, but still curious overall since the tab at least isn't stock tune fit.  I noticed the same thing @Deltadre pointed out too, and was wondering if it's a pro-custom (or whatever that program is called) option now, or another part of some new CRS or evolved TuneFit strapping system.

It's so similar, I can't conceive of any way this is NOT TuneFit. You'll notice the knee lock is slightly different as well (leather tab has been added. Curiously, I wonder how you're able to adjust or replace the knee lock (I can't tell if the landing bad is sewn or velcroe'd to the block).

10 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

It's so similar, I can't conceive of any way this is NOT TuneFit. You'll notice the knee lock is slightly different as well (leather tab has been added. Curiously, I wonder how you're able to adjust or replace the knee lock (I can't tell if the landing bad is sewn or velcroe'd to the block).

Which tab do you mean?  My understanding so far is that the block is all one piece and part of the actual pad, so the grippy/padded landing pad is sewn together with the rest of the material that covers the block.  But that's basically built off of observing and assuming based on posts like these.

That made me wonder though if the knee block is literally the same piece as the rest of the pad, or if it's like an insert into the pad.  Not necessarily for future swaps of the block, but just for things like defects and repairs.  I dunno, we'll find out soon enough :) 

43 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Which tab do you mean?  My understanding so far is that the block is all one piece and part of the actual pad, so the grippy/padded landing pad is sewn together with the rest of the material that covers the block.  But that's basically built off of observing and assuming based on posts like these.

That made me wonder though if the knee block is literally the same piece as the rest of the pad, or if it's like an insert into the pad.  Not necessarily for future swaps of the block, but just for things like defects and repairs.  I dunno, we'll find out soon enough :) 

Look at where the knee lock strap attaches to the calf wing. You'll see it's a Jenpro tab with Bauer embossed. On the 2x Pro, this area is just Nylon with no Emboss.

On previous version of the Od1n pads (and Bauer's before that), the landing pad was velcro'd to the block. This meant you could pull off the velcro and adjust the inner attachment point of the knee strap. This meant you'd could fine tune the length of the strap (and ultimately it's tightness). If it's true that the landing pad is sewn to the block, then that adjustment is now gone. Meaning you only have the knee strap that came with it, with no adjustability, or replacement when the elastic starts to bacon.

24 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Look at where the knee lock strap attaches to the calf wing. You'll see it's a Jenpro tab with Bauer embossed. On the 2x Pro, this area is just Nylon with no Emboss.

On previous version of the Od1n pads (and Bauer's before that), the landing pad was velcro'd to the block. This meant you could pull off the velcro and adjust the inner attachment point of the knee strap. This meant you'd could fine tune the length of the strap (and ultimately it's tightness). If it's true that the landing pad is sewn to the block, then that adjustment is now gone. Meaning you only have the knee strap that came with it, with no adjustability, or replacement when the elastic starts to bacon.

Gotcha, I thought you were pointing out something a lot smaller.  Yeah that would go in line with my thinking on what happens when any, formerly small/separate, piece of the knee stack fails or needs replacing.

It almost looks like there's an extra piece of jenpro stitched to the edge of the knee block and the elastic strap is attached to that instead of internal to the knee block?  Like there's a loop in the elastic strap, you can kind of see what looks like an extra line of stitching in the strap.  It still doesn't look adjustable, but the build of the tabs on this set seems like maybe TGN's set has some non-retail versions of things, and maybe there will be an adjustable version at retail?

I've always wanted that main calf wrap strap to be adjustable too, but doesn't look like it is either.

2 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Gotcha, I thought you were pointing out something a lot smaller.  Yeah that would go in line with my thinking on what happens when any, formerly small/separate, piece of the knee stack fails or needs replacing.

It almost looks like there's an extra piece of jenpro stitched to the edge of the knee block and the elastic strap is attached to that instead of internal to the knee block?  Like there's a loop in the elastic strap, you can kind of see what looks like an extra line of stitching in the strap.  It still doesn't look adjustable, but the build of the tabs on this set seems like maybe TGN's set has some non-retail versions of things, and maybe there will be an adjustable version at retail?

I've always wanted that main calf wrap strap to be adjustable too, but doesn't look like it is either.

I've never felt the need to adjust the outer calf strap. All I need it is to hold everything from flopping around. In fact I'd rather have it lose so that the sliding surface on the calfwrap stays nice and flat on the ice.

On 3/8/2020 at 2:15 PM, estogoalie said:

That will be available. I just order my sets without it.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:52 AM, Telfo said:

Comes loose in the bag. I did not get the chance to put it on yet. I will be using it.