Soft Boot, Stiff Thigh

Griff1604

Hi guys,

I've decided to hold off on ordering pads for now, until I can physically try them on again, but I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on your favorite pads that have a soft boot and a decently stiff thigh-rise? I can also go custom if that makes a difference. Thank you!

I absolutely love my G4 Sr pads. Contrary to a certain @Trav4oilers review, the thigh rise on my pads has barely softened from what I got in the box while the boot has become nice and soft and easy to move about with. The main issue I’ve had with the pads was the toe strap. So much so I got rid of the thing after one skate and replaced it with eco pro toe ties. 

12 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I absolutely love my G4 Sr pads. Contrary to a certain @Trav4oilers review, the thigh rise on my pads has barely softened from what I got in the box while the boot has become nice and soft and easy to move about with. The main issue I’ve had with the pads was the toe strap. So much so I got rid of the thing after one skate and replaced it with eco pro toe ties. 

Thank you! That review actually made me take warrior off my list so I'm glad you spoke up. The most important part for me is the soft boot that moves with me, my CCM P2.9's are just soft all around though and I'd like some harder rebounds. Some people have said that Warrior pads are only 10.75 inches wide, have you found this to be the case? 

My custom G5 set has an X-stiff thigh rise and a nice soft boot.  The pads are stiffer in the thigh and softer in the boot than stock G4's. In my opinion they have a number of nice upgrades from the G4 series and might be worth waiting for.  Both my GT2 set and my G5 set are a full 11" wide.  

5 hours ago, Griff1604 said:

....important part for me is the soft boot that moves with me, ....Some people have said that Warrior pads are only 10.75 inches wide, have you found this to be the case? 

u dont need a soft boot , but it does flex, pads sit on top of the pads now with minimal boot gussets , its funny when people say they need a taper.   on the 10.75 that was on the g3s it was fixed on the g4 at 11"

5 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

My custom G5 set has an X-stiff thigh rise and a nice soft boot.  The pads are stiffer in the thigh and softer in the boot than stock G4's.....

They changed the hypercomp on the face of the pads.  g4 has it on the face and g5 only on the thighrise area..

do u have the custom spec sheet for g5.  is the stiffness an option or only the break? is the g5 a single internal break now, or still double internal break like g3 and g4?

12 hours ago, Griff1604 said:

That review actually made me take warrior off my list so I'm glad you spoke up. The most important part for me is the soft boot that moves with me

Huh? My G4s have a soft boot and semi stiff thigh. Friend of mine had p2.9 earlier in the season so I know what you mean by they’re soft all around lol

6 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Huh? My G4s have a soft boot and semi stiff thigh. Friend of mine had p2.9 earlier in the season so I know what you mean by they’re soft all around lol

Sorry, I meant Trav's review. After it I thought Warriors were like 2x4's on your leg, so thanks for clearing up they have a soft boot!

13 hours ago, DL42 said:

u dont need a soft boot , but it does flex, pads sit on top of the pads now with minimal boot gussets , its funny when people say they need a taper.   on the 10.75 that was on the g3s it was fixed on the g4 at 11"

Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Griff1604 said:

Sorry, I meant Trav's review. After it I thought Warriors were like 2x4's on your leg, so thanks for clearing up they have a soft boot!

Honestly, don't put a lot of stock into Trav's reviews. He's a decent Youtube personality, but with that comes a lot of, for a lack of a better word, "click bait" titles and information in order to boost views.

The guy knows how to manipulate Youtube to his favour, but I wouldn't put him up there as the most trust worthy gear reviewer.

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Honestly, don't put a lot of stock into Trav's reviews. He's a decent Youtube personality, but with that comes a lot of, for a lack of a better word, "click bait" titles and information in order to boost views.

The guy knows how to manipulate Youtube to his favour, but I wouldn't put him up there as the most trust worthy gear reviewer.

Appreciate it coop! While you're here, whats your favorite soft boot stiff thigh pad?

2 hours ago, cuprajake said:

dunno with travs stuff, both his brians and hi warrior softened up in the thigh you can see it on tape, 

I saw 1000+ shots in 25 games and was on the ice almost every day this season and my pads are practically brand new as far as thigh flex goes. And don’t forget my pads are g4 sr’s. No hypercomp to stiffen them. All it takes to keep a set stiff is taking good care of them. The only durability issue I had with my G4’s that was unusual was the binding on the knee sliding surface coming off. I repaired it with heavier duty thread and it hasn’t been an issue since.

The common factor with travs sets softening up is trav. Must be something about how he stores them or how good he cares for them

28 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

The common factor with travs sets softening up is trav. Must be something about how he stores them or how good he cares for them

Comparably, my buddy used to complain about CCM's stock steel rusting up quick, and we diagnosed the issue with where he was storing them in his garage (not even his fault, it was just somewhat near where he kept the road salt for de-icing). But before we figured it out, he swore to anyone who would listen on how bad CCM's steel was.

On 3/13/2020 at 3:03 AM, cuprajake said:

dunno with travs stuff, both his brians and hi warrior softened up in the thigh you can see it on tape, 

he can stiffen the warrior thigh if he choose by throwing some plasic rulers down the outside and a foam block in the upper internal break where the profile lock is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 12:32 PM, DL42 said:

he can stiffen the warrior thigh if he choose by throwing some plasic rulers down the outside and a foam block in the upper internal break where the profile lock is.

To my knowledge, Trav's specs are usually soft. He used a GNetik pad with Brian's. He also is on the ice 3-4 times a week minimum. He absolutely destroys his pads. That is one thing you cannot deny. He brutally tests his gear. NHL guys would give up on gear well before he does

Archived