NHL 2021 Season

MTH

Well the wheels are spinning. No pre-season and games to get going here shortly in early 2021. Will be weird to say just "2021" rather than the usual "2020-2021".

No outdoor games scheduled yet? Seems like with the pandemic, small outdoor rinks would be pretty rad for watching games. Don't need huge stands at the moment. Just a nice rink, lockers and cameras under the open sky. Would be amazing if the NHL could pull off some kind of almost really on the pond hockey.

What the heck? We'd all watch it.

I'm getting my vaccine as soon as I can. Hoping enough folks do too so we can get some fans back into the games. If the seasons ends in May and the vaccine is available to all by then, hopefully we can see the season end with a full house.

Lets go!

Have a strong feeling this is still gonna get worse in the States before it gets better...

Looking forward to parking my ass on the couch for a handful of games when I can. It would be a true pleasure to end the season with in-person attendance playoff games, but I'm not putting money on it. As a Blackhawks fan, there's nowhere to go but up, really. Playing the Lightning eight times should be a fun.

Let's go, indeed.

Honestly, I feel still kind of burned out from watching the Covid cup.

Everyone is all excited for the all Canadian division, but it just seems so gimmicky to me. Having to watch the Canucks play the Leafs nine times this season, with multiple of those games being in succession is just going to get dull fast.

Just a big ol' meh from me. Give me back my beer leagues please.

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Everyone is all excited for the all Canadian division, but it just seems so gimmicky to me. Having to watch the Canucks play the Leafs nine times this season, with multiple of those games being in succession is just going to get dull fast.

Yeah, I'd always rather play hockey than watch it on TV.

The Canadian division is only convenient for the one obvious reason. Other than that, I would be pretty pissed off if I were a fan of a Canadian NHL team and had to slog through 56 games that are less meaningful than they were in prior years. Maybe the Oilers and Jets are playing meaningful playoff games, but it looks pretty bleak up north. I make it a rule to never talk about the Leafs: The rest of the hockey pontificates have that covered in spades.

14 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Agree, and I seriously don't understand this, I get it, the boarders are closed. But here the Leafs can travel to Ohio, Michigan, Buffalo to play teams with less travel than going all the way to the West and back. Covid idiots I tell you. They are in a bubble either way, so why not go that route. 

These matches will get boring after 4 or 5, and no it will not create rivalries with this new nhl. 

9 hours ago, dualshowman said:

I spelled "Canucks" wrong, didn't I?

Hey man, don't be hating because the Canucks won more playoff rounds last year than the Oilers have in 15 years...

8 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Agree, and I seriously don't understand this, I get it, the boarders are closed. But here the Leafs can travel to Ohio, Michigan, Buffalo to play teams with less travel than going all the way to the West and back. Covid idiots I tell you. They are in a bubble either way, so why not go that route. 

These matches will get boring after 4 or 5, and no it will not create rivalries with this new nhl. 

It'll get boring quick, in any of the divisions. Isn't one of the gripes of the newer playoff format is that you're always playing the same teams in playoffs?

Covid cup was more exciting because of the new team matchups. They need to go back to the 1-8 seeding.

47 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Soooo, Florida has fans jn the stands?!? Doesn't that go against the NHL bubble ruling? 

Nope. The only "bubble" for this season is the divisions. Dallas is selling tickets too (because of course they are) but they haven't played yet due to corona.

I wonder if there's some sort of correlation? Nah....

Speaking of Dallas, before Chicago's amazing OTL last night, the standings had Dallas ahead of Chicago despite not playing a single game.

Archived