Stock Graphics

TheGoalNet

Knock on wood... 

We have an opportunity to learn about the process for selecting a stock graphic with a company we have not worked with too heavily yet... (yes @coopaloop1234 - I like my Brian's and Joz is a great dude, but we (I) are neutral!!!) 

Here are the potential questions I am going to ask for the interview, could you reply ASAP with anything you think might be interesting to learn?

1. How long does it take to pick a stock graphic

2. How many designs are considered

3. What type of person and/or what type of professional training has the designer been through? Like who is the designer?

4. How important is is, if at all, to keep congruity with previous graphics

5. How much do you feel graphics influence the retail sales

6. How important is the graphic in the actual pad design process

7. Are you looking at digital printing

8. What do you think the future of graphics holds

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be interested to know how much detail manufacturers share with each other regarding upcoming graphics. I've noticed that most stock graphics tend to share similarities - angles, curved lines vs. straight lines, etc - that make it easier to match, say, a CCM glove/blocker to a set of Vaughn pads (Ryan Miller is a good example of this).

18 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

We need names and addresses of whoever decided that tribal graphics were a great idea..... seriously ... i leave hockey for 17 years and its like the 90's douches with tribal tattoos took over designing goalie equipment graphics for a decade....

I'd agree here...Vaughn's continual use of tribal style graphics has always baffled me, though they seem to be moving on with current and future models. That being said, that V8 graphic is, uh... pretty not-good. Aside from Vaughn, Brian's circa 2009 wasn't much better. That Zero-G graphic...oof. But I LOVED the pads/glove.

Another question I'd ask is where the inspiration for the graphic comes from. For example, was the graphic inspired by the flowing stripes on a jersey, an obscure form of camouflage, vehichles/architecture, or even old robot cartoons? It'd vary from designer to designer, but I'd love to hear anecdotes about certain designs, and how they were applied to a full line of gear.

10 minutes ago, Doobiesnax said:

Oh im not singling Vaughn out... they were all complicit in this abomonation of a decision.

It's 100% fair to blame Vaughn. They went out of their way to start the trend and bragged about it in their product description. 

34 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Does that include the original gnetik graphic? heh

I am not saying Vaughn was the only offender... We see you Reebok Revoke... 

I am saying Vaughn is blammed for starting the trend. 

#BringBackThe580Graphic #FirstEFwasTheBestEF #CanIGetAHelite3

17 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I am not saying Vaughn was the only offender... We see you Reebok Revoke... 

I am saying Vaughn is blammed for starting the trend. 

#BringBackThe580Graphic #FirstEFwasTheBestEF #CanIGetAHelite3

The Larceny line was the worst offender for me. 

I'd be curious if there is any trademarking/copywriting involved. Has there ever been a situation where someone couldn't use a graphic because it looked too similar to another one? 

9 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Do companies ever tinker with the idea of bringing back old graphics similar to how some car companies are bringing back old cars?  Charger, Challenger, Dart, redesign of the Mustang, etc.

I have wondered that same thing, but via the Sneakerworld. 

Nike often takes old sneaker models and then remakes them with new materials or trys to make a new models look like an old model. 

I'd love for this to come to hockey. Instead of the Retroflex year after year, I'd like to see CCM bring back some of the Iconic Koho graphics for like limited 12 month runs. 

Bauer is kinda doing this with the McKenna and Andersen pads . Brian's did this with Lack this year. 

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I have wondered that same thing, but via the Sneakerworld. 

Nike often takes old sneaker models and then remakes them with new materials or trys to make a new models look like an old model. 

I'd love for this to come to hockey. Instead of the Retroflex year after year, I'd like to see CCM bring back some of the Iconic Koho graphics for like limited 12 month runs. 

Bauer is kinda doing this with the McKenna and Andersen pads. Brian's did this with Lack this year. 

I'd like to see it done as an actual graphic though, not just a picture of a pad with that graphic, as the graphic...if that makes sense.

11 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

See, those look great.

These look like ass.

McKenna's new set looks way better. Once Bauer opens this up to the public, I am sure you could order R5 or R6 graphic without the shadowing effect. 

I think sometimes we get too bogged down with what has been done vs what will be available within 12 months. Is anyone not buying Bauer right now because they cannot R5 graphics on a 1S?!? 

Once printing goes live to the public, I imagine it will be similar to ordering custom graphics from anyone. Submit design, get a quote for the custom work, and buy 

And yes, the Andersen pads did look like crap. But that was more a glimpse into the cupboard of what's coming. There is a reason the average Joe cannot buys these yet  

45 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Bauer has done it before... just won’t see it again because of the full integration to printing 

I know they ran those as a limited edition.  And I loved it.  I am saying I would like to see something as a full time run like you suggested with CCM running Koho graphics for a year clip.

13 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

See, those look great.

These look like ass.

Because, again, its a graphic that entails a printed picture of a pad with that graphic instead of the graphic just being printed on the pad.

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

But why bring something to the market in a half baked attempt?

Marketing? To be first? To be remembered the innovator of this technology? 

Think about it... Bauer goalie gear stunk for a long time. The 1S line was the first innovative thing they did since Brian Heaton worked there... Lots of times being first trumps a perfect product 

Archived