Stock Graphics

TheGoalNet

7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@SaveByRichter35 - Oh I see what you saying, mass produced and a stock product. Got it and this is a "stock graphics" thread, haha 

At least Bauer offered it though... a CCM EFlex with 580 graphic?!?! Literally not possible 

Exactly what I am saying.  The Bauer example is perfect...bringing back the old Reactor graphics or the Supreme graphics.  Vaughn running the Legacy "puck" graphic or the Vision "spike" graphic.  CCM can run with old Koho like you mentioned.  Brian's already does anything but would be cool to see them offer Heaton graphics.

Idk, I'm a bit of a nostalgist I guess lol.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the eventual move into printed graphics is really going to bring the Skeuomorphism vs. Flat design debate into the world of goaltending equipment.

Essentially, skeuomorphism is the emulation of real-world materials by an object or interface. The most notable example in recent memory is the iPhone user interface. At it's inception, App icons were made to look very realistic, retaining the textures of wood, metal, and glass in an effort to look like realistic objects. Eventually, design trends changed, and skeumorphic representations were phased out in favour of "Flat" design, which is pretty much what the name states - flat, graphic shapes that are easily readable.

Equipment graphics have traditionally fallen into the category of "flat" design, so I can see why manufacturers are excited for the opportunity to delve into something new, that likely reduces weight and requires less labour. McKenna's and Andersen's pads are a smart "first" move into this - showing the capabilities of the technology, while adhering to a familiar aesthetic. People LOVE throwbacks. Dubnyk, too, is showing off a custom graphic, though his falls into the "flat" category.

I'll say straight-up that I prefer Dubnyk's graphic to the Reactor throwbacks, and the main reason is because I simply don't believe what I'm seeing when I look at the printed Reactors. I'm not fooled by the skeumorphic representation of knee rolls, leather straps, and clarino. We're all QUITE familiar with goalie equipment as objects - we know the feel of the materials, the weight. We know the general shape of a pad, or glove. That's what's off-putting about realistic printed graphics. We're seeing knee rolls and straps where there are none, like printed bricks tacked to the side of the house, or even a skin applied to a video game character (low poly, though, ha ha). Though the technology is "cutting edge", it has a cheap feel.

12 minutes ago, Murray said:

I think the eventual move into printed graphics is really going to bring the Skeuomorphism vs. Flat design debate into the world of goaltending equipment.

Essentially, skeuomorphism is the emulation of real-world materials by an object or interface. The most notable example in recent memory is the iPhone user interface. At it's inception, App icons were made to look very realistic, retaining the textures of wood, metal, and glass in an effort to look like realistic objects. Eventually, design trends changed, and skeumorphic representations were phased out in favour of "Flat" design, which is pretty much what the name states - flat, graphic shapes that are easily readable.

Equipment graphics have traditionally fallen into the category of "flat" design, so I can see why manufacturers are excited for the opportunity to delve into something new, that likely reduces weight and requires less labour. McKenna's and Andersen's pads are a smart "first" move into this - showing the capabilities of the technology, while adhering to a familiar aesthetic. People LOVE throwbacks. Dubnyk, too, is showing off a custom graphic, though his falls into the "flat" category.

I'll say straight-up that I prefer Dubnyk's graphic to the Reactor throwbacks, and the main reason is because I simply don't believe what I'm seeing when I look at the printed Reactors. I'm not fooled by the skeumorphic representation of knee rolls, leather straps, and clarino. We're all QUITE familiar with goalie equipment as objects - we know the feel of the materials, the weight. We know the general shape of a pad, or glove. That's what's off-putting about realistic printed graphics. We're seeing knee rolls and straps where there are none, like printed bricks tacked to the side of the house, or even a skin applied to a video game character (low poly, though, ha ha). Though the technology is "cutting edge", it has a cheap feel.

This is exactly why I don't like them.

53 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Marketing? To be first? To be remembered the innovator of this technology? 

Think about it... Bauer goalie gear stunk for a long time. The 1S line was the first innovative thing they did since Brian Heaton worked there... Lots of times being first trumps a perfect product 

Fair point. But it was also riddled with durability issues and poor graphics which can also affect brand image.

Either way, really doesn't affect me as Bauer's gear still doesn't interest me.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Fair point. But it was also riddled with durability issues and poor graphics which can also affect brand image.

Either way, really doesn't affect me as Bauer's gear still doesn't interest me.

Agreed there, always risks with being first. To some extent, the true early adopters accept those short comings. Think about an early Blackberry or Palm phone compared to iPhone 1. 

@Murray - Love the skeuomorphism discussion. With the flat trend going across all areas of design right now, I agree with you that many of the designs will lose the attempt at looking round with maturity and acceptance of the printing.  

In my opinion, Bauer is doing stuff right now that people with cut and sew cannot do it. They are doing solely for differentiation or to point out what is possible with printing.  

I happened to see some designs that were not used for a Bauer graphic. I think some other people here may have seen them too. I was asked not to repost them. Many of them were horrible and over the top. Basically wild digital designs for the sake of wild digital designs. 

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

How about these excellent jerseys?

Definitely not my thing but I've seen worse.

The pickup group I play in has these with an orange hockeymonkey logo on the front. 

monkeysports-hockey-jersey-sublimated-re

I know they needed new jerseys (they were long overdue to get new sets) but these are beyond ugly. 

On 11/3/2017 at 6:17 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Definitely not my thing but I've seen worse.

The pickup group I play in has these with an orange hockeymonkey logo on the front. 

I know they needed new jerseys (they were long overdue to get new sets) but these are beyond ugly. 

Oh man, that's awesome.

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Let's talk about these real quick.  Yuck.

I'm surprised they still haven't re-done the 560 graphic yet.  I would buy those in a heartbeat.

I’d agree this would Be a hit 

You can get pretty close to this graphic if you customize the Premier line the right way though 

Archived