Jump to content

Stick durability


Simionatzky_22
 Share

Recommended Posts

Statistically speaking (from the store I work in), the brand least often to have returned to us for warranty due to breakage is CCM. That's just brand, I do not know which models but CCM sticks don't often come back for warranty in my store as much as other brands.

Personally speaking, the True 6.0 sticks I'v had are going on over 1 and a half years of usage. However I'v heard the exact opposite from others.

I think people should keep in mind that sticks are really good/bad luck scenarios. I hear all sorts of stories about goalies buying a stick and it last 4 month which leaves them very pleased and another goalie will buy the exact same stick and it breaks after 4 periods and they are furious and can't wait to race home and complain about it on a message board or something. Level of hockey, duration of game use, actual puck contact, personal after hockey care are all factors that affect the durability of a stick. There's precisely zero scientific evidence to support one brand or model of stick thathas better durability over another.

Having said that I say buy whatever feels good in your hand at the store and hope for the best.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Statistically speaking (from the store I work in), the brand least often to have returned to us for warranty due to breakage is CCM. That's just brand, I do not know which models but CCM sticks don't often come back for warranty in my store as much as other brands.

Personally speaking, the True 6.0 sticks I'v had are going on over 1 and a half years of usage. However I'v heard the exact opposite from others.

I think people should keep in mind that sticks are really good/bad luck scenarios. I hear all sorts of stories about goalies buying a stick and it last 4 month which leaves them very pleased and another goalie will buy the exact same stick and it breaks after 4 periods and they are furious and can't wait to race home and complain about it on a message board or something. Level of hockey, duration of game use, actual puck contact, personal after hockey care are all factors that affect the durability of a stick. There's precisely zero scientific evidence to support one brand or model of stick thathas better durability over another.

Having said that I say buy whatever feels good in your hand at the store and hope for the best.

I agree with that. But 6.0 is not the model I would sell to my friend. I've sold like thee True 6.0 sticks and average lifespan is maybe two ice sessions. It seems like the shaft is not durable enough. Although the new model is better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes I had the same problem with all my true sticks they all broke in the same point. 

2 hours ago, Korppi32 said:

I agree with that. But 6.0 is not the model I would sell to my friend. I've sold like thee True 6.0 sticks and average lifespan is maybe two ice sessions. It seems like the shaft is not durable enough. Although the new model is better. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had great luck with my Warrior CR1 sticks.  I used the same stick for well over a year.  As @ULTIMA said, a lot depends on how you use it.  I do my best to lengthen the life of my good composite sticks by only using them for games and I use foam core sticks for warmups.  The effects of this are two-fold.  As I said, it will help your composite sticks have a longer life due to not facing the abuses of warm up shots.  Its not having to face uncontested slapshot after uncontested slapshot.  Also the foamcore sticks I use are quite a bit heavier than my composite sticks so I get the added illusion that the composite feels even lighter in my hand after being used to the heavier foamcore, kind of like a baseball player using a donut on their bat in the on-deck circle.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Simionatzky_22 said:

Also I was looking between the v1 an the m1 warrior stick but I don't find a lot of reviews on the m1

It's a relatively new stick that released just before Covid hit. There's not going to be a lot of beer league reviews on it.

V1 sticks are very stiff M1 sticks have a lot more 'kick' to them. So depending on what feel you're after will direct you to either one.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Simionatzky_22 said:

Also I was looking between the v1 an the m1 warrior stick but I don't find a lot of reviews on the m1

I purchased 3-packs of each in the Pro+ model.   As mentioned, the V1 is much stiffer and slightly heavier.  They were my primary sticks for a 14 month period until a shoulder injury prompted a switch to the softer CCM EF4.   Once the M1 came out I went right back to Warrior as it gave me all the benefits of the EF4 with slightly less weight.

To date, of the 3 sticks I've mentioned the only one I've broken was an M1.  Given that I'd cut a Lundquist grip into the paddle I'm going to say that was my fault as the other two M1's are going strong.  I've got an EF4 that has a ton of paint scraped off and shows lots of wear, but it's still very solid functionally.  The V1 is the real rockstar as far as durability goes.  Despite seeing more use than any of the other sticks I've bought my primary "gamer" V1 both looks and feels great.  Compared to the EF4 there are much fewer visible scrapes and dings and it's retained it's pop quite well.  

I THINK your CCM was one of the Premier sticks.  Of all the CCMs I've talked to customers about those had the worst durability reputation.  So far the Axis line seems to be doing much better and my own experience with the EFlex has been positive.   If you want a stiffer stick like your Premier or your True, I'd look Axis or V1.  TGN's recommendation of Bauer 2X is another good one.  Stay far away from Ultrasonic and 2S Pro if you want durability.   They're light, but they don't take a beating well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This may sound surprising, but I have been REALLY happy with the SherWood SL900's.  Very durable, and have stayed crisp for playing the puck.

Only place to get them around here is the various Ukrainian Tire stores.  I keep an eye on them and have been known to drive around town to the stores and grab them when they are in stock.  I have a nice supply now, should last a few years LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

I purchased 3-packs of each in the Pro+ model.   As mentioned, the V1 is much stiffer and slightly heavier.  They were my primary sticks for a 14 month period until a shoulder injury prompted a switch to the softer CCM EF4.   Once the M1 came out I went right back to Warrior as it gave me all the benefits of the EF4 with slightly less weight.

To date, of the 3 sticks I've mentioned the only one I've broken was an M1.  Given that I'd cut a Lundquist grip into the paddle I'm going to say that was my fault as the other two M1's are going strong.  I've got an EF4 that has a ton of paint scraped off and shows lots of wear, but it's still very solid functionally.  The V1 is the real rockstar as far as durability goes.  Despite seeing more use than any of the other sticks I've bought my primary "gamer" V1 both looks and feels great.  Compared to the EF4 there are much fewer visible scrapes and dings and it's retained it's pop quite well.  

I THINK your CCM was one of the Premier sticks.  Of all the CCMs I've talked to customers about those had the worst durability reputation.  So far the Axis line seems to be doing much better and my own experience with the EFlex has been positive.   If you want a stiffer stick like your Premier or your True, I'd look Axis or V1.  TGN's recommendation of Bauer 2X is another good one.  Stay far away from Ultrasonic and 2S Pro if you want durability.   They're light, but they don't take a beating well.

I'm going to echo your sentiments on the V1 Pro + here.  I've put them through some pretty rough paces and they're still going strong.

Recently switched to Bauer 3S (yes 3S, NOT Ultrasonic) - it's only slightly heavier than the previous 2S Pro without the spine in the back which I'm hoping helps with durability.

I would have gone Warrior again, but M1 did not offer a P34/Mrazek curve.  Not a fan of the Bishop/P31 and the lie of the Quick felt like my arms were too far out to the side

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I purchased 3-packs of each in the Pro+ model.   As mentioned, the V1 is much stiffer and slightly heavier.  They were my primary sticks for a 14 month period until a shoulder injury prompted a switch to the softer CCM EF4.   Once the M1 came out I went right back to Warrior as it gave me all the benefits of the EF4 with slightly less weight.

To date, of the 3 sticks I've mentioned the only one I've broken was an M1.  Given that I'd cut a Lundquist grip into the paddle I'm going to say that was my fault as the other two M1's are going strong.  I've got an EF4 that has a ton of paint scraped off and shows lots of wear, but it's still very solid functionally.  The V1 is the real rockstar as far as durability goes.  Despite seeing more use than any of the other sticks I've bought my primary "gamer" V1 both looks and feels great.  Compared to the EF4 there are much fewer visible scrapes and dings and it's retained it's pop quite well.  

I THINK your CCM was one of the Premier sticks.  Of all the CCMs I've talked to customers about those had the worst durability reputation.  So far the Axis line seems to be doing much better and my own experience with the EFlex has been positive.   If you want a stiffer stick like your Premier or your True, I'd look Axis or V1.  TGN's recommendation of Bauer 2X is another good one.  Stay far away from Ultrasonic and 2S Pro if you want durability.   They're light, but they don't take a beating well.

Do you still have any of those V1 Pro+ sticks that you no longer use?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I purchased 3-packs of each in the Pro+ model.   As mentioned, the V1 is much stiffer and slightly heavier.  They were my primary sticks for a 14 month period until a shoulder injury prompted a switch to the softer CCM EF4.   Once the M1 came out I went right back to Warrior as it gave me all the benefits of the EF4 with slightly less weight.

To date, of the 3 sticks I've mentioned the only one I've broken was an M1.  Given that I'd cut a Lundquist grip into the paddle I'm going to say that was my fault as the other two M1's are going strong.  I've got an EF4 that has a ton of paint scraped off and shows lots of wear, but it's still very solid functionally.  The V1 is the real rockstar as far as durability goes.  Despite seeing more use than any of the other sticks I've bought my primary "gamer" V1 both looks and feels great.  Compared to the EF4 there are much fewer visible scrapes and dings and it's retained it's pop quite well.  

I THINK your CCM was one of the Premier sticks.  Of all the CCMs I've talked to customers about those had the worst durability reputation.  So far the Axis line seems to be doing much better and my own experience with the EFlex has been positive.   If you want a stiffer stick like your Premier or your True, I'd look Axis or V1.  TGN's recommendation of Bauer 2X is another good one.  Stay far away from Ultrasonic and 2S Pro if you want durability.   They're light, but they don't take a beating well.

Actually was an axis 1.9 and the blade broke right in the middle and also split in half, probably was just a coincidence  but for the price i don't want to try agane so i was looking at something new. Bauer seems a really good options bute the cost is higer and I need two sticks and at the end of the season I will have to change gloves an probably chest protector so I was lokking to staay lower on the budget.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Simionatzky_22 said:

Actually was an axis 1.9 and the blade broke right in the middle and also split in half, probably was just a coincidence  but for the price i don't want to try agane so i was looking at something new. Bauer seems a really good options bute the cost is higer and I need two sticks and at the end of the season I will have to change gloves an probably chest protector so I was lokking to staay lower on the budget.

Should have got the pro model it will last longer.  I store here sells them for 200 cdn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Simionatzky_22 said:

In Italy the 1.9 cost way more something around 230€ and and so the pro model was to much

It is nice that you support the local shop, especially during this hard covid time. But man they are stealing your money. You live in EU, so you can find two 1.9 sticks 230€.

 

I have used Warrior M1 Pro+ (games) Pro (practises) during this season without durability issues. Our season started at august but covid stopped the season  2-3 months ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2021 at 10:14 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I have had great luck with my Warrior CR1 sticks.  I used the same stick for well over a year.  As @ULTIMA said, a lot depends on how you use it.  I do my best to lengthen the life of my good composite sticks by only using them for games and I use foam core sticks for warmups.  The effects of this are two-fold.  As I said, it will help your composite sticks have a longer life due to not facing the abuses of warm up shots.  Its not having to face uncontested slapshot after uncontested slapshot.  Also the foamcore sticks I use are quite a bit heavier than my composite sticks so I get the added illusion that the composite feels even lighter in my hand after being used to the heavier foamcore, kind of like a baseball player using a donut on their bat in the on-deck circle.

I do this as well and it really does help. Foamcore for warm-ups and Comps for game time ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

  • Member Statistics

    1,799
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    scottmcmanus
    Newest Member
    scottmcmanus
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...