CCM Axis Splitting Issues

Rod

6 hours ago, Rod said:

Purchased a new set of CCM axis pads, glove and blocker 8 weeks ago. Glove had split on the pocket edge and pads have split on the edge. Anyyone else having issues.

Couple of my pals have them since release.  @TheGoalNet and @BadAngle41 amongst them, I haven't heard anything like this.

Sounds like it's time to reach out to your retailer and discuss warranty

Also @BadAngle41 looks like this is another +1 for Lefevre

Thanks for sharing, I work at a hockey store and see no reason why CCM shouldn't be able to warranty your set, I bought an axis 580 that had a minuscule rip and CCM is sending me a new one. 

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

looks like this is another +1 for Lefevre

Glad I saw this thread because I am on the fence between 20.1 and axis, any advice?

2 hours ago, AdamL said:

Just my $.02, but the demo set of Axis gear my local store has sitting out feels comparatively cheap relative to my old XLT gloves. If I were shopping between Lefevre/True and CCM, I'd absolutely pick the former.  

Thanks so much, quality definitely seems better with lefevre, only reason I'm on the fence is that I've tested axis and liked them while I haven't been able to demo 20.1

4 hours ago, AdamL said:

Just my $.02, but the demo set of Axis gear my local store has sitting out feels comparatively cheap relative to my old XLT gloves. If I were shopping between Lefevre/True and CCM, I'd absolutely pick the former.  

Materials might have been better 5 years ago but also heavier. Technology has changed, things won't last forever. Personally I haven't had issues with ccm gear. 

11 hours ago, AdamL said:

With the exception of Speedskin they use exactly the same materials.  Probably from the exact same suppliers given their longstanding previous relationship. 

My Axis set is holding up beautifully.  Given my previous experience with CCM's customer service while dealing with a minor issue on my EF4 set I'll bet they'll get you squared away quickly.

20 hours ago, Charlie T said:

Glad I saw this thread because I am on the fence between 20.1 and axis, any advice?

I've got zero personal experience with Axis, but guys who have them seem to be pretty happy with their decision.

While MaxRebound on Axis was very appealing, in the end I think the 20.1 being made in Canada and the FRS on pads are what swayed me towards Lefevre

11 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I've got zero personal experience with Axis, but guys who have them seem to be pretty happy with their decision.

While MaxRebound on Axis was very appealing, in the end I think the 20.1 being made in Canada and the FRS on pads are what swayed me towards Lefevre

Have you had any regrets or issues other than the sizing changes?

I have not been on the ice as much as normal, but I have used the Axis gear a lot. I will have a review posted within 1-2 weeks on YouTube. Zero quality issues on my end.

@Rod - I don't think I missed this earlier in the thread, but did you contact your retailer for support? That is protecting yourself as a consumer 101. Call the retailer 1st. If you hit a dead end there, contact CCM and mention the retailer did not help you.

On 2/14/2021 at 9:40 AM, AdamL said:

I am sorry, but I think people get confused here.

@Puckstopper @BadAngle41 and I can all vouch for Axis. It's a solid line.

HOWEVER, after using @Chenner29 's 20.1 gear and comparing AXIS to P2 and EF4, I have a few takeaways and people need to be realistic

1. Most Lefevre gear is Jenpro. Jenpro does look more "luxurious" than speed skin. After not seeing Jenpro in awhile, I was amazed to see it again... But that isn't the point speed skin. It makes you slide better.  You cannot compare NASCAR seats to a leather trimed dealer car, they are different seats. Any jenpro is going to "look better" because we are conditioned to view leather grain as a luxury and durable item. It's one of the many reasons plastic or foam parts in a car have a leather grain. You can get Jenpro on Axis. If you are on the team that Jenpro looks better, it's an option. I don't think retailers are stocking it though

2. The gloves are lighter and have less pieces than XLT. It's the natural misunderstanding that they are "cheaper" and it's not true. Anything that is lighter or has less pieces can look cheap. It's why many people don't like modern furniture. The untrained eye can't tell the difference between Ikea and made in Italy designer stuff

This post is not meant to be "pro ccm", but trying to make sure we are all educated consumers.

5 hours ago, Charlie T said:

Have you had any regrets or issues other than the sizing changes?

tldr;

FastGlide was not worth it unless you get the ice resurfaced between periods
Minimum glove palm I'd go with is Game Ready Xtra
Great gear, moves well, my second set is on point

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

tldr;

Minimum glove palm I'd go with is Game Ready Xtra
Great gear, moves well, my second set is on point

Thanks so much, in my league we do get a scrape between periods, but what makes you say that about fast glide?

If Fast Glide is similar to Speedskin it's great on fresh ice but actually worse than JenPro or weave on choppy ice.   I tried Speedskin on my EF4s and absolutely HATED it.   I've got it on the face of my Axis pads as it was the only way to get Graphite Grey, but I went with weave for the sliding surface and I'm much happier.   Of the 6 sets I've owned in the last 10 years I'd say the EF4's slid the worst (after the first period anyway) and the Axis slide the best.  Some of that is the harder foam on the inside of the Axis, but certainly not all.

5 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

If Fast Glide is similar to Speedskin it's great on fresh ice but actually worse than JenPro or weave on choppy ice.   I tried Speedskin on my EF4s and absolutely HATED it.   I've got it on the face of my Axis pads as it was the only way to get Graphite Grey, but I went with weave for the sliding surface and I'm much happier.   Of the 6 sets I've owned in the last 10 years I'd say the EF4's slid the worst (after the first period anyway) and the Axis slide the best.  Some of that is the harder foam on the inside of the Axis, but certainly not all.

Agree with this. Axis is noticeably faster than EF4 or P2 with Speed Skin performance. Goes to highlight the concert of pad design + materials and not just the skin material. 

32 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Agree with this. Axis is noticeably than EF4 or P2 with Speed Skin performance. Goes to highlight the concert of machine design + materials and not just the material. 

19 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

If I were to get 20.1, would you recommend weave/carbone over FastGlide on the inner gusset?

4 hours ago, Charlie T said:

If I were to get 20.1, would you recommend weave/carbone over FastGlide on the inner gusset?

That's personal preference.  It sounds like you've got cleaner ice than a lot of us, so you might not hate FastGlide.  Weave will slide better for sure, but there is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that it wears poorly compared to JenPro or SpeedSkin/FastGlide.  It's too early for me to have personal experience with this, as any pair of pads I've had more than a year had a JenPro inner gusset. 

2 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

That's personal preference.  It sounds like you've got cleaner ice than a lot of us, so you might not hate FastGlide.  Weave will slide better for sure, but there is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that it wears poorly compared to JenPro or SpeedSkin/FastGlide.  It's too early for me to have personal experience with this, as any pair of pads I've had more than a year had a JenPro inner gusset. 

In what ways does it wear typically? Ive only had Jenpro and Speedskin with my last 4 sets being stock speed skin.

On 2/16/2021 at 1:37 PM, Charlie T said:

In what ways does it wear typically? Ive only had Jenpro and Speedskin with my last 4 sets being stock speed skin.

Weave is a pattern stamped on to regular Jenpro.  Repeated use can cause it to flake off and cause it to look like it's wearing through.

I did not enjoy my experience with Fastglide.  My second set with weave on the inners slides much easier.

Fastglide is faster than Speedskin on fresh ice but in my experience, performance deteriorated faster than Speedskin as ice got worse.

I do have a theory, but it's just conjecture at this point.
If you look closely at the fabric pattern, Fastglide is a bunch of raised little dots. 
IIRC, Speedskin is made of small raised lines (can any of you confirm? @Puckstopper @BadAngle41 @TheGoalNet)
I think the little dots on Fastglide would catch and snag on ruts in the ice.

21 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Weave is a pattern stamped on to regular Jenpro.  Repeated use can cause it to flake off and cause it to look like it's wearing through.

I did not enjoy my experience with Fastglide.  My second set with weave on the inners slides much easier.

Fastglide is faster than Speedskin on fresh ice but in my experience, performance deteriorated faster than Speedskin as ice got worse.

If you look closely at the fabric pattern, Fastglide is a bunch of raised little dots. 
IIRC, Speedskin is made of small raised lines (can any of you confirm? @Puckstopper @BadAngle41 @TheGoalNet)

Thanks, last thing I'm curious about is the stiffness, I have always used single internal and external, what have you used and would you recommend I stick with what I know?

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Correct, Speedskin is a crosshatch pattern of raised lines.   To me it honestly feels like sliding on velcro as the ice gets worse.  The theory of reducing surface area touching the ice is sound, it just goes right out the window when the ice gets a little rough/snowy.

Thanks for the input on Fastglide, as I am considering trying out True this spring and would have been tempted to venture down that road.

Archived