Knees Bruising

ThatCarGuy

As the title says I’ve recently had tons of knee bruising from dropping to butterfly. I have pretty bony knees so I’m unsure if it’s just time for new knee pads (had Warrior X2 Pro for since they came out) or need to fill the knee landing on my pads with a different foam. The knee landing area on 2S isn’t exactly soft and comfy. 
Looking for solutions and/or knee pad suggestions.

I had the same problem with my Warrior G3s, and when I opened it up the knee block foam had cracked. It was already a pretty hard landing too (no extra foam topper) so I e-mailed Sarah at PAW and built new blocks from 1" LD45 and 1/4" EVA topper. Feels great now.

Pretty easy to do with Warrior as you can open them up and slide out the foams yourself. Not sure how it works with 2S though. you might have to to get a piece to fit in on top to it or just replace the whole thing. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, indykrap said:

I had the same problem with my Warrior G3s, and when I opened it up the knee block foam had cracked. It was already a pretty hard landing too (no extra foam topper) so I e-mailed Sarah at PAW and built new blocks from 1" LD45 and 1/4" EVA topper. Feels great now.

Pretty easy to do with Warrior as you can open them up and slide out the foams yourself. Not sure how it works with 2S though. you might have to to get a piece to fit in on top to it or just replace the whole thing. 

Just looked at the landing again and it looks like it’s just laced shut so not a big deal to replace. Just not sure if it’s worth it considering I’ll be ordering new pads soonish

47 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

As the title says I’ve recently had tons of knee bruising from dropping to butterfly. I have pretty bony knees so I’m unsure if it’s just time for new knee pads (had Warrior X2 Pro for since they came out) or need to fill the knee landing on my pads with a different foam. The knee landing area on 2S isn’t exactly soft and comfy. 
Looking for solutions and/or knee pad suggestions.

I had a similar issue when I switched to my G3s, so I started wearing a pair of McDavid hex knee pads underneath my goalie knee pads. Problem solved.

19 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Just looked at the landing again and it looks like it’s just laced shut so not a big deal to replace. Just not sure if it’s worth it considering I’ll be ordering new pads soonish

That's fair! It came out to about $33 USD plus shipping, but makes sense to avoid it if you're already replacing.

I second the suggestion of using a pair of the McDavid brand knee/elbow pads underneath the knee guards. When I was recovering from a knee injury, I used them and turned them slightly so that the majority of the hex padding was on the inside of my knees.

If you're looking for protective knee guards that have a very cushion-y knee area, the CCM KP Pros are a good one.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 1:19 PM, CJ Boiss said:

I had a similar issue when I switched to my G3s, so I started wearing a pair of McDavid hex knee pads underneath my goalie knee pads. Problem solved.

I've been using these as well.  Sometimes I have a hard time keeping them from sliding down my leg but they work great as far as cushioning goes.  I think I would have been better off getting the next size up so I can slide them up a little higher on my leg.

7 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I've been using these as well.  Sometimes I have a hard time keeping them from sliding down my leg but they work great as far as cushioning goes.  I think I would have been better off getting the next size up so I can slide them up a little higher on my leg.

I've got Bauer Supreme knee guards, the ones with four segments, and I wear socks over those to keep the Velcro from catching on my pants or pads. Never had an issue with them sliding around.

6 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

I've got Bauer Supreme knee guards, the ones with four segments, and I wear socks over those to keep the Velcro from catching on my pants or pads. Never had an issue with them sliding around.

@SaveByRichter35 is talking about under knee pads padded sleeves, like if you wore volleyball knee pads under the knee pads for added protection when dropping into the b-fly. I can understand his delima as the friction caused between both pads could be the problem.

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

@SaveByRichter35 is talking about under knee pads padded sleeves, like if you wore volleyball knee pads under the knee pads for added protection when dropping into the b-fly. I can understand his delima as the friction caused between both pads could be the problem.

I am as well. I also wear padded sleeves, and I've never had an issue with them sliding down my leg, which I attribute to everything I wear overtop them.

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't wear protective knee guards.  I only wear these padded sleeves because the padding in my knee lock has degraded.  I wear them under my compression pants.  Skinny calves but big thighs/quads, I can only get them so high. 

No knee guards? Brave man.

• Like 2

Just now, CJ Boiss said:

No knee guards? Brave man.

Lol.  I can count on one finger the amount of times I have taken a puck in that vicinity.  My five hole is completely shut when I am in my butterfly.  The one time I took a puck there was a weird scramble and it just snuck through somehow.  Until I start losing my flare I just don't feel the need to wear them...yet lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Lol.  I can count on one finger the amount of times I have taken a puck in that vicinity.  My five hole is completely shut when I am in my butterfly.  The one time I took a puck there was a weird scramble and it just snuck through somehow.  Until I start losing my flare I just don't feel the need to wear them...yet lol.

You haven't ever taken a puck off your trailing thigh when a guy tries to go five-hole after pulling you cross crease?

13 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

You haven't ever taken a puck off your trailing thigh when a guy tries to go five-hole after pulling you cross crease?

Not that I can remember, no.  I literally have one memory of getting dinged just above the knee a few years ago.  Thankfully it was a point shot that got got tipped so I didn't take the full brunt of the shot.

Well reading through the thread (how about that) i saw SaveByRichter doesn't.. just a sleeve.. i don't wear them but then again i don't play anything high level. Sometimes some hard shooters show up but not too regularly.

Around 2003 i took 2 shots in different games right to the knee when i was wearing some Brown pads .. no thigh guards or anything and it hurt so bad... 

My pads now Itech/JRZ 11.8 XWings have me covered so good.. i love the pads. 

Edited by Scythe

On 3/20/2021 at 10:51 AM, mr_shifty1982 said:

In 10 years I have taken 1 or 2 pucks of the knees, but,  the paw knee guards look interesting to me. At 150 Canadian it's not cheap. Anyone else using it? Pros, cons?

I was lucky enough to find a gently used one of SLS.

They feel really comfy when going down, but I find it kinda goes square just above my knee and interferes with my pad rotation. I wear large socks over it to kinda help it slip over and keep it in place on my knee, but yeah sometimes my pads don't rotate back fully.

I may try another type soon, I hear good things about the Bauer 1X Vapor ones. Are you guys wearing a knee sleeve _and_ a guard? I have G-form knee sleeves that I use for coaching, but not worn it under my PAWs yet.

Edited by johncho

On 3/29/2021 at 8:57 AM, johncho said:

I was lucky enough to find a gently used one of SLS.

They feel really comfy when going down, but I find it kinda goes square just above my knee and interferes with my pad rotation. I wear large socks over it to kinda help it slip over and keep it in place on my knee, but yeah sometimes my pads don't rotate back fully.

I may try another type soon, I hear good things about the Bauer 1X Vapor ones. Are you guys wearing a knee sleeve _and_ a guard? I have G-form knee sleeves that I use for coaching, but not worn it under my PAWs yet.

Interesting, the 1X from pictures look bulky, hopefully that doesn't interfere with your pad.

I just wear socks over the guards like you.