RIP Vapor and Supreme

I am not sure how big of a secret this is but those new ugly neon green Bauer skates are not hyperlite or vapor at all. I work at a hockey store (so I am taking this straight from the Bauer catalog) and the new skates are replacing both supreme and vapor. It’s going to just be one goalie skate line with a pro model, elite model, and gsx. Stock up fellas, this is the last year supreme goalie skates will be around, and vapor is already toast!

21 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

With Fit 1, 2 and 3 there's really no need for 2 different lines IMHO.  True has done just fine with only 1 line and CCM already put the bullet in the FT line. 

I agree except that vapor is more flexible forward and back and supreme is much stiffer forward and back. Vapor is stiffer laterally and supreme is more flexible laterally. Now if you liked supreme’s flex you can only get it at custom. The top half of these will be like vapor and the bottom half will be like supreme.

I'm aware, I did the Bauer U training as well.   I just don't think for the average person it will mean anything.   Trying to upsell a customer based on Bauer's "stories" they tell in those videos is a losing proposition in my experience.  They just don't care that much.

The average person who comes to buy skates where I work is interested in  Brand-Price/Value-Fit/Comfort-Appearance-Performance.  Yes, there are outliers who do their research, know what they want and try on several lines.  Those are the folks who will benefit from custom anyway and with 3 custom offerings available we can accommodate them.  But the average person comes in and wants a Bauer Vapor because it's Bauer and they've always worn Vapor.  You can show them the 3D scan that shows they have a higher volume foot, get them to try on a Ribcore and they'll admit it "feels pretty good" and "doesn't hurt in the toe area like my old skates" but they're still leaving with Bauer Vapors because... Bauer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You're good.  No changes to the steel lineup other than a nebulously phrased "improvement" to the LS3G steel and Pulse Ti coming to the goalie lineup.   I have every intention of buying at least one set of Pulse Ti goalie steel as the player steel feels FANTASTIC going across the wheel. 

1 hour ago, Snowman30 said:

Screenshot_20210527-190539_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210527-190546_Chrome.jpg

Damn, those are ugly looking. Not a fan of these bright colors being added to gear.  The cord on the Hyperlite pad and now this just look cheap IMO.  

Bauer should keep the Vapor and Supreme lines.  My guess is they were overwhelmed with all the products.  Maybe next time don’t have a product listed higher than the “Pro”.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Just to give an idea, this is the lowest model skate, and fir whatever reason the only new model we got in yet😕

Wow!  It’s as if they ripped off CCM Tacks skate look. Looks the same, but in neon green!  This is ugly as sin and a shame to see.  Why do companies keep making gear look more and more ridiculous?  

I am in the minority here, but I quite like the green. Green is the colour of life.

The new equipment can look garish, but I hate when they try to make it look “classic” more so than go full-on “modern”.

I always suspected a bit of growing pains with the advent of stiff boots. I have been using my Trues now for nearly four years. Of course I haven’t been using them week after week because of illness, etc. They are getting long in the tooth. I have a couple of boots in the wings, but the CCM pump skate fits tight across the toe box and the Vaughn boot (bought it for the cowlings) fits okay, but not brilliantly. It is seeming that CCM and Bauer have considerably upped their skate game. That’s where these companies STARTED. True literally bought some guy’s operation and is still in the midst of a learning curve as far as making boots goes. 

This may be the impetus for me to finally see how these two have improved.