2021 NHL Trades/Free Agency

seagoal

Elliotte Friedman and Darren Dreger reporting that Detroit has acquired Alex Nedeljkovic from Carolina for Jonathan Bernier and a 3rd round pick.

VERY surprised to see this.

They are also reporting that Seattle's first trade is Pitlick to Calgary, no word on the exchange yet.

Edited by seagoal

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Elliotte Friedman and Darren Dreger reporting that Detroit has acquired Alex Nedeljkovic from Carolina for Jonathan Bernier and a 3rd round pick.

VERY surprised to see this.

Hey guys, you know what's a good idea? Trading away our Calder finalist goalie that led us in the playoffs for an aging (albeit good) goalie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Main takeaway from this trade is Reimer and Bernier reunited on the canes hahaha. In all seriousness, great move by Stevie Y, Ned still needs to prove himself long term, but detroit goaltending just got 7 years younger to match the young squad.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dretti33 said:

Main takeaway from this trade is Reimer and Bernier reunited on the canes hahaha. In all seriousness, great move by Stevie Y, Ned still needs to prove himself long term, but detroit goaltending just got 7 years younger to match the young squad.

Also, sounds like Keith Petruzzelli isn't going to sign and will become a free agent, so it's good move to shore up the position. Detroit has literally no goalie prospects of note. I'd like to see them take Cossa or Wallstedt in the draft tomorrow (if one of them is still there late in the first round).

1 minute ago, motowngoalie said:

Also, sounds like Keith Petruzzelli isn't going to sign and will become a free agent, so it's good move to shore up the position. Detroit has literally no goalie prospects of note. I'd like to see them take Cossa or Wallstedt in the draft tomorrow (if one of them is still there late in the first round).

Dude Stevie Y was just a straight up gunslinger today.  Bernier was a pending UFA and wanted to walk and Y goes "Nah, I'm good.  I'll take the young Rookie of the Year Finalist thank you and have a nice day."

Thug life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Dude Stevie Y was just a straight up gunslinger today.  Bernier was a pending UFA and wanted to walk and Y goes "Nah, I'm good.  I'll take the young Rookie of the Year Finalist thank you and have a nice day."

Thug life.

Dude signed for 3mil x 2 years. Asked for 3.5 from Carolina and they went:

Uh7LeWM.gif.2840e22381fc412032e9be84cab65105.gif

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

The one thing that surprises me about Detroit is their lack of goalie prospects. The rest of the line up looks promising. I could see that 22nd pick detroit has going to Cossa.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I thought Bernier was set to stay in Detroit but I guess they saw a different performance. 

What I saw was they wanted him to stay, but he wanted to walk away and try to find a new team as a free agent.  

I really want Ned to pan out in Detroit, it'd solve a lot of issues. It's a low risk bet regardless (2 years/$3M per) but a few things make me wonder how it's gonna go. Small NHL sample size, his AHL numbers weren't great, and Carolina's D corps are a hell of a lot better than Detroit's (Leddy acquisition and Seider Jesus aside). Just hoping he isn't Andrew Hammond 2.0.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dretti33 said:

The one thing that surprises me about Detroit is their lack of goalie prospects. The rest of the line up looks promising. I could see that 22nd pick detroit has going to Cossa.  

Recent history-wise and Osgood/Howard aside - Detroit really doesn't have a stellar record of developing homegrown tender prospects. Historically they are more of a comb the free agent/trade market for a body team. Besides - not much you can do when Filip Larsson totally bombs and/or Petruzzelli doesn't sign. Also think its better to have your goalie come in on the tail end of the rebuild effort. That way his confidence isn't crushed when he's playing as the team is bottomed out.

For the record - I like everything about the Nedeljkovic trade: in/out, term, dollars. Kudos to Stevie. Even if he's terrible - keeping in the bottom tier of wins/losses will continue to stockpile higher draft picks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chile57 said:

Recent history-wise and Osgood/Howard aside - Detroit really doesn't have a stellar record of developing homegrown tender prospects. Historically they are more of a comb the free agent/trade market for a body team. Besides - not much you can do when Filip Larsson totally bombs and/or Petruzzelli doesn't sign. Also think its better to have your goalie come in on the tail end of the rebuild effort. That way his confidence isn't crushed when he's playing as the team is bottomed out.

For the record - I like everything about the Nedeljkovic trade: in/out, term, dollars. Kudos to Stevie. Even if he's terrible - keeping in the bottom tier of wins/losses will continue to stockpile higher draft picks. 

I just hope Hellebuyck doesn't want to go play close to home anytime soon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chile57 said:

Recent history-wise and Osgood/Howard aside - Detroit really doesn't have a stellar record of developing homegrown tender prospects. Historically they are more of a comb the free agent/trade market for a body team. Besides - not much you can do when Filip Larsson totally bombs and/or Petruzzelli doesn't sign. Also think it's better to have your goalie come in on the tail end of the rebuild effort. That way his confidence isn't crushed when he's playing as the team is bottomed out.

I feel like goalie prospects are just as hit or miss as players, but the key thing is that there is only one of them on the ice and not 5 with 3 lines. 

That's a really good point about the confidence portion of it. Looking now that Detroit should be coming up from the bottom of the rankings, adding a good young goalie to the mix to help the Red Wings make that next step is critical. 

All in all, I'm excited with this trade 

• Like 1

Sorry in advance, Flyers fans. What an overpay.

Philadelphia Flyers have acquired defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen from the Buffalo Sabres, in exchange for first- and second-round draft picks and defenseman Robert Hagg. The first-round pick will be No. 14 on Friday night as the 2021 NHL Draft begins, and the second-rounder will be in 2023.

Coyotes trade Oliver Ekman-Larsson (retaining 12% of OEL's salary) and Conor Garland to the Canucks, in return for Jay Beagle, Antoine Roussel, Loui Eriksson, a 2021 1st Round Pick (9th pick), 2022 2nd Round Pick, and a 2023 7th Round Pick. 

Edited by dretti33
rewording
  • Like 1