Best gear storing setup

Maxpower29

@RichMan I have been using my Rocket Dryer for the last 3-4 years and have not found any crusty or stiff equipment using it. 

However, I also clean my equipment at season's end to make sure that any crud buildup has been dealt with.

Also, usually before each drying, I spray it with a blend of essential oils and water which cuts down on stank, crustiness and any associated stiffness.

In doing all of this I have never had any ill effects.

• Thanks 1

I think the dry crusty effect occurs more when the gear is older and the material is worn a little (not smooth anymore).

I'm still drying my kids' gear out for them. They appreciate the feeling of putting on dry gear every day. Goal to make them do it themselves shortly. My oldest is playing for a team now that has their own full time locker room at the rink. They are required to hang their gear up in their locker stalls. Team can lose most games this season - but its a win if my son learns to be self sufficient for keeping his gear organized and dry. Also, motivated to stay on this team with team rooms. They don't understand how fortunate they are to play 16U and have a pro like team room.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MTH said:

I think the dry crusty effect occurs more when the gear is older and the material is worn a little (not smooth anymore).

I'm still drying my kids' gear out for them. They appreciate the feeling of putting on dry gear every day. Goal to make them do it themselves shortly. My oldest is playing for a team now that has their own full time locker room at the rink. They are required to hang their gear up in their locker stalls. Team can lose most games this season - but its a win if my son learns to be self sufficient for keeping his gear organized and dry. Also, motivated to stay on this team with team rooms. They don't understand how fortunate they are to play 16U and have a pro like team room.

You're too kind. My dad had me airing out my own gear after 12. 

• 1 year later...

Here is my drying setup, fairly cheap and space saving. Bought a "portable wardrobe" from Amazon for about $70 and my gear is dry within about 6 hours. Have a small fan and dehumidifier on the right hand shelves, so I can zip up the front and the air will circulate inside. Use a regular boot dryer from a sporting goods store for my skates and gloves. I do use a 70/30 mix of iso alcohol and water, but find that I only need to use it about once a month as drying the gear like this prevents any smell.

Gear Locker.jpeg

Zipped.jpeg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Saw a similar closet organizer on Amazon. I've always wanted one. they look so good. Well done!

Thank you, didn't expect it to be one of my favorite hockey purchases but it's definitely up there! Unfortunately the zippers are rather cheap, but the whole thing is super easy to move and you can change the layout. Been through probably 20 iterations of gear organization and happy to land on this one. Bonus points if you have an SO that doesn't want to see goalie gear in the house, it hides it away nicely!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RichMan said:

I usually pack my gear once it's dry as to not forget anything on game day, grab and go.

I'd love to get my hands on the Rocket stall. 

Do you air-dry it by leaving it out of the bag or do you have a storage setup you use to dry things quicker before re-packing your bag?

2 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Do you air-dry it by leaving it out of the bag or do you have a storage setup you use to dry things quicker before re-packing your bag?

I fan dry on a rack overnight and then pack it up. I'm proud to say my gear doesn't stink.

• Like 1

Here's my setup and its worked great slots right in where I need it next to that is my soccer stuff including my glove dryer i use after hockey. i do live alone so i dont have worry about taking up space lmao. it works just a nice cheap amazon rack and 2 20inch fans. though its going to be a lil before i hop back into any sport since i just pulled my quad the other day during a soccer game. Fun times haha

IMG_5750.jpg?ex=6609f190&is=65f77c90&hm=b460555c41267cd5ba73c378bfbdc49671181ca7678b729e364f6549c32aaeef&=

Edited by RockyMountainTendy
  • Like 2

When I was in San Diego, I just used a simple tree made of PVC pipes with a box fan in front of it. Worked well. But when I moved to Washington in 2022 I was finding that in the winter it was cold enough that my gear would never really dry, it would just freeze. And that both sucked to put on the next time, and made it stinky.

Bit the bullet and got a Rocket Dryer. Specifically, the mid-size "stall" model. Worth absolutely every penny. Dry in a couple hours in the middle of winter, even less smell than I used to get drying it on the rack in SoCal, and will usually go out about an hour before I leave and turn it on so everything is nice and warm when putting it on in the room.

It's not exactly "portable", though I have taken it down to bring to a tournament in Seattle once. It does have a bag to put all the parts in, but I definitely would not want to be taking it down very often. Was really nice having it in the hotel room, though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

When I was in San Diego, I just used a simple tree made of PVC pipes with a box fan in front of it. Worked well. But when I moved to Washington in 2022 I was finding that in the winter it was cold enough that my gear would never really dry, it would just freeze. And that both sucked to put on the next time, and made it stinky.

Bit the bullet and got a Rocket Dryer. Specifically, the mid-size "stall" model. Worth absolutely every penny. Dry in a couple hours in the middle of winter, even less smell than I used to get drying it on the rack in SoCal, and will usually go out about an hour before I leave and turn it on so everything is nice and warm when putting it on in the room.

It's not exactly "portable", though I have taken it down to bring to a tournament in Seattle once. It does have a bag to put all the parts in, but I definitely would not want to be taking it down very often. Was really nice having it in the hotel room, though.

Well, well, well. Looks who's back. 

• Like 2