Hockey Announcers: why do they suck?

estogoalie

On 1/10/2022 at 6:28 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

ESPN is out here hiring bum announcers from other sports to do hockey. They can’t keep up with the pace of the game and clearly don’t know what they’re talking about. Thats how you end of with Leah Hextall calling a a game and saying, “ so and so takes the puck, zoobagabablabahzoomcrackbangwowohah he scores!!!!!!!” Sorry Leah but nobody won the stanley cup they just scored a goal so they’re only losing by 6 now.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:54 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Her voice goes right through me. I don’t want to watch any games where she’s announcing. If a dude had that type of voice, I wouldn’t want to listen, either. 

Kelly Nash could do play by play as long as she’s wearing that leather dress 😁

AJ Mleczko is another terrible one.  Not to sound sexist but most of the women who call games just don't do it for me.  They just don't sound like they know what they're doing.  As do many men too.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 3:46 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

AJ Mleczko is another terrible one.  Not to sound sexist but most of the women who call games just don't do it for me.  They just don't sound like they know what they're doing.  As do many men too.

Many men do not know what they are doing. It just seems like there has been this influx of female play by play announcers that couldn’t call a marathon if it were televised! 

• Like 1

I think most of these announcers have limited knowledge. But that's fine. You can call a great game and not be an expert in the sport. 

I think some of the women announcers lack the confidence to not try to be an expert while calling the game. So they go overboard with the stats, facts and player comments. They are 'try hards' which is annoying for announcers.

If a team hired a female equivalent of Harry Carey... that would be great. A big fat slob with bad glasses and a slight drinking problem. You know if an announcer looks like Rosie O'Donnell that she's likely pretty good at her trade.

Nobody is hiring her for the eye candy. Nobody

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, MTH said:

I think most of these announcers have limited knowledge. But that's fine. You can call a great game and not be an expert in the sport. 

I think some of the women announcers lack the confidence to not try to be an expert while calling the game. So they go overboard with the stats, facts and player comments. They are 'try hards' which is annoying for announcers.

If a team hired a female equivalent of Harry Carey... that would be great. A big fat slob with bad glasses and a slight drinking problem. You know if an announcer looks like Rosie O'Donnell that she's likely pretty good at her trade.

Nobody is hiring her for the eye candy. Nobody

Some of the most sexy female radio voices I have heard were deep disappointments when I met them in person.  Rosie O’Donnell looks hawt in comparison. This is a fact. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Fullright said:

The  in studio segment on the TNT games is pretty good. Bisonette is funny even if he's goofy and #99 has an idea what he's talking about. Carter isnt bad as well.

I agree. And we no longer have to suffer through Pierre Maguire and Mike Milbury.

Also, Liam is good because he’s a wise ass from Long Island, so he can give and take a needling. He’s been good on NBCSN’s coverage of the NHL, Premier league and Olympics in the past. 

Useless tidbit of the day: Liam McHugh was an intern at Newsday (Newspaper based on Long Island, NY) and my girlfriend was his boss. 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2022 at 7:46 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Why are the female play by play announcers so screechy? Their voices go right through me. I know the vocal pitch goes up when a person is excited, but it sounds like kittens being tortured when Leah Hextall announces a goal. She’s brutal.

I prefer than over the monotone "I have no clue what to say" excuse of a broadcaster that is AJ Mleczko .

• 8 months later...

Has anyone noticed EVERY color commentator says the goalie was, “Square to the puck,” when they make a strong positional save? They never say the goalie was centered in the net or they had appropriate depth. Always square to the puck. I think most of these morons (almost always former forwards who know nothing about goaltending) think square means being in position. They don’t understand the distinction between square and centered. They’re both important, but they mean different things. Just a thought. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Watching Islanders on ESPN+. Butch Goring is a terrible color commentator. Look, we as Islander fans all love our dynasty players. But that doesn't mean they are good at other things. Retire him already. Let AJ Mleczko, be the sole color commentator along side Brendan Burke. These old guys, everything is back in my day. Bullshit, your day was at quarter speed to what happens now. Enough.

Also, the Islanders stink. How are they not in last place? I'm guessing goaltending is saving them, because Sorokin is amazing. The other players, not so much. The rest look like healthy scratches for the rest of the league.😡

On 1/13/2023 at 11:38 AM, Wonder35 said:

My personal all time hockey commentator piss off is "He beat the goalie but hit the post!"

Hey A-Hole, that's not even an official shot on net. Perhaps the post was all the tender gave him.

I only stop the shots that were going in - not the ones that hit the post.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 9:53 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

Has anyone noticed EVERY color commentator says the goalie was...

Hockey announcers are the biggest hack commentators on playing net. There are many lazy saying that they keep using:

• Stood on his head. (Possible? Also a terrible position to make saves from - and dangerous for others)
  • Flash the leather. (No leather anymore)
  • Let in a goal. (100% sure he didn't let it in)
  • Goalies are nuts to stand in there.

There are many more. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MTH said:

Hockey announcers are the biggest hack commentators on playing net. There are many lazy saying that they keep using:

• Stood on his head. (Possible? Also a terrible position to make saves from - and dangerous for others)
  • Flash the leather. (No leather anymore)
  • Let in a goal. (100% sure he didn't let it in)
  • Goalies are nuts to stand in there.

There are many more. 

*Looks at thumb loops*

checkmate. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 9:14 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

Watching Islanders on ESPN+. Butch Goring is a terrible color commentator. Look, we as Islander fans all love our dynasty players. But that doesn't mean they are good at other things. Retire him already. Let AJ Mleczko, be the sole color commentator along side Brendan Burke. These old guys, everything is back in my day. Bullshit, your day was at quarter speed to what happens now. Enough.

Also, the Islanders stink. How are they not in last place? I'm guessing goaltending is saving them, because Sorokin is amazing. The other players, not so much. The rest look like healthy scratches for the rest of the league.😡

Just had to quote myself, because I am watching the Islanders again, and I have all the same thoughts as I did a month ago.

• Like 1

Insanity = Islanders fandom

Nassau County stadium is terrible... can't wait to we move back to the Nassau County Veterans Memorial Stadium!

The uniforms are so old and outdated. We need a new look!

Greatest Rivalries: Islanders Win, Rangers Miss Playoffs, Turgeon Scores  50th Goal In 1993 - MSGNetworks.com

Ok how about this?

Islanders New Reverse Retro Jersey Features Fisherman

These are terrible! What's wrong with the old logo?!

New York Islanders: Reclaiming the Fisherman Jersey

These are still terrible! Wish they'd wear their original style jerseys!

474 New York Islanders Michael Peca Photos and Premium High Res Pictures -  Getty Images

The Islanders are royal blue not navy!

New Jersey Devils v New York Islanders | 9 Dec 2022 | Prudential Center |  Koobit

Hey, these are the same as they wore in the 90s...Insanity!

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2023 at 1:05 PM, jerd31 said:

I heard when you die and go to hell everything is the same as it was on Earth except the rest of your days are spent with Leah Hextall narrating your every move

Dear God, 

Sorry for all the jokes about Hellen Keller, short people, Dallas Cowboys fans and for saying bad words.

Love, MTH

• 8 months later...