2022 NHL Mask Testing Results

TheGoalNet

• TheGoalNet changed the title to 2022 NHL Mask Testing Results

One thing that is not clear, to me, is that there are no values for the vertical axis, so there is no value assigned at any level of the hierarchy.  Clearly, the arrow says "improved" is the ones up top, so the hierarchy is arranged by relative value to one another.  But, if we don't know what the values are vertically...and where, say, the cusp of acceptable vs unacceptable is vertically, then we can't really conclude much other than which helmets are better than others. 

So, if #1 is better than #4, but "acceptable" or "safe" starts at say #6, then #4 is still a good choice even thought it is not as good as #1.

Without that info, it's not clear that any goalie with any given helmet should be concerned based on these graphs.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, seagoal said:

One thing that is not clear, to me, is that there are no values for the vertical axis, so there is no value assigned at any level of the hierarchy.  Clearly, the arrow says "improved" is the ones up top, so the hierarchy is arranged by relative value to one another.  But, if we don't know what the values are vertically...and where, say, the cusp of acceptable vs unacceptable is vertically, then we can't really conclude much other than which helmets are better than others. 

So, if #1 is better than #4, but "acceptable" or "safe" starts at say #6, then #4 is still a good choice even thought it is not as good as #1.

Without that info, it's not clear that any goalie with any given helmet should be concerned based on these graphs.

To go along with this, what is the baseline?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Right.  A consumer could just want the best, but most just want what is considered safe or acceptable and relative to that, most affordable.

Exactly. 

Of course there are variables there: what is acceptable to an NHL goaler may not be all that safe (Bishop’s chicklets come to mind), etc., etc. 

My Victory V6 has the softest puck to cage sound I have experienced this side of an old combo. I was totally unphased by a shot between the eyes. Of course I customised the padding to fit my head better and it has triple density padding. But this means nothing. 

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Agreed. There should be values assigned to each measurement, so we can compare them to other available safety data. E.g. there is a lot of data from car accidents and test pilots about what the safe g levels are, which could be used to compare the linear acceleration. Or studies like this one: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3217370/ which can be used for the angular acceleration, to provide cutoffs for safe vs. unsafe masks.

• Like 1

So, IMO, these tests are absolute garbage and tell us literally nothing. The fact that the same Vaughn mask fared variably simply based on the thickness of the padding, coupled with the same CCM masks in 3 different fits performing markedly different only really says that you should get a proper-fitting mask. The same head mold being used for ALL these masks means the results are essentially useless.

The Victory V6, being a plastic shell, will deform under high-speed impacts, so it rating above any composite mask in any category gives me serious doubts about the validity of ascribing the results to the real world. 

I wouldn't take any of this as useful in any way, shape or form. 

14 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

I'm guessing that the NHL doesn't want to establish a baseline or level that they consider "acceptable" for liability reasons.

Really, even for pros?  I think it's understood that pros are free to choose less safe options that lower governing agencies won't allow.  Cat-eye cages come to mind.  Optional throat protection <-- there are some goalies who wear nothing covering their throat and it terrifies me, especially there's a few goalies who have particularly long necks.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Really, even for pros?  I think it's understood that pros are free to choose less safe options that lower governing agencies won't allow.  Cat-eye cages come to mind.  Optional throat protection <-- there are some goalies who wear nothing covering their throat and it terrifies me, especially there's a few goalies who have particularly long necks.

That's why enjoy watching goalies like Fleury and Vaneček who do wear proper throat protection. It doesn't prevent them from playing well and keeps them safe. They set a good example to younger goalies about the importance of wearing proper protective gear. Whenever I see goalies not wearing a dangler, I think of Malcolm Subban fracturing his larynx in warmups. 

4 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

That's why enjoy watching goalies like Fleury and Vaneček who do wear proper throat protection. It doesn't prevent them from playing well and keeps them safe. They set a good example to younger goalies about the importance of wearing proper protective gear. Whenever I see goalies not wearing a dangler, I think of Malcolm Subban fracturing his larynx in warmups. 

Yeah, I get why they are annoying to a lot of goalies.  But I've worn one since the 90s and at this point I would feel so unsafe without one.  I don't go so far as to bring an extra one to the rink with me, but I do keep an extra one at home.  I've had one crack and need to be cut off in-game once.

Edited by seagoal

52 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, I get why they are annoying to a lot of goalies.  But I've worn one since the 90s and at this point I would feel so unsafe without one.  I don't go so far as to bring an extra one to the rink with me, but I do keep an extra one at home.  I've had one crack and need to be cut off in-game once.

I also have a spare dangler and strings at home. It's saved my bacon many times in ball and ice hockey. I also had it break on me once while playing ball hockey off a hard shot to the throat.

I'm surprised that some NHL goalies will wear subpar facial protection, considering how dangerous it is to be hit in the head. The head is in the line of fire more when playing a modern style. Ben Bishop had to have his mask replaced mid-game because the straps broke. If I were in the show, I'd make sure my masks were as protective as possible, even if that meant I'd replace my pads less often than my colleagues. I'd have team-coloured pads, but I wouldn't go ham on the paint job. 

8 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

I also have a spare dangler and strings at home. It's saved my bacon many times in ball and ice hockey. I also had it break on me once while playing ball hockey off a hard shot to the throat.

I'm surprised that some NHL goalies will wear subpar facial protection, considering how dangerous it is to be hit in the head. The head is in the line of fire more when playing a modern style. Ben Bishop had to have his mask replaced mid-game because the straps broke. If I were in the show, I'd make sure my masks were as protective as possible, even if that meant I'd replace my pads less often than my colleagues. I'd have team-coloured pads, but I wouldn't go ham on the paint job. 

This reminds me: what is the stated or official explanation behind the wide vertical center bars on Sportmask and Pros Choice helmets?  Is it to decrease the size of the forward facing eye openings on cat eye cages, or, just improving the strength of the center for impacts?

@Chenner29 ?

It looks badass, which is why I wear one, haha.

Edited by seagoal

27 minutes ago, seagoal said:

This reminds me: what is the stated or official explanation behind the wide vertical center bars on Sportmask and Pros Choice helmets?  Is it to decrease the size of the forward facing eye openings on cat eye cages, or, just improving the strength of the center for impacts?

@Chenner29 ?

It looks badass, which is why I wear one, haha.

I can’t speak for Sportmask, but having known Dom for 20 something years, he made the flat bar years ago to help prevent a bent center bar. The tri cage was his next version of it in an attempt to make it stronger. I would guess Sportmask did it for similar/the same reason

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, luked said:

I can’t speak for Sportmask, but having known Dom for 20 something years, he made the flat bar years ago to help prevent a bent center bar. The tri cage was his next version of it in an attempt to make it stronger. I would guess Sportmask did it for similar/the same reason

What is the tri cage? I get the flat bar, to distribute force.across the cage more evenly, but what is the tri cage supposed to improve?

5 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

What is the tri cage? I get the flat bar, to distribute force.across the cage more evenly, but what is the tri cage supposed to improve?

https://progoaliemask.com/tri-cat-cage/

https://progoaliemask.com/tri-cat-bar-construction/

A much thicker center bar for the cage. Should be more durable than a standard center cage bar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FredB32 said:

So, IMO, these tests are absolute garbage and tell us literally nothing. The fact that the same Vaughn mask fared variably simply based on the thickness of the padding, coupled with the same CCM masks in 3 different fits performing markedly different only really says that you should get a proper-fitting mask. The same head mold being used for ALL these masks means the results are essentially useless.

The Victory V6, being a plastic shell, will deform under high-speed impacts, so it rating above any composite mask in any category gives me serious doubts about the validity of ascribing the results to the real world. 

I wouldn't take any of this as useful in any way, shape or form. 

Couldn’t agree less on this

yeah, it’s not perfect. But someone did independent testing. It’s a major freaking start! 

what does the same shell performing significantly different with three liners tell us? everyone needs to stop obsessing over the shell and realize that the liner is just as important 

adding thicker foam basically creates extra breaking distance between the puck energy and your brain. 

I can tell you that the major mask companies absolutely know how to create a safer helmet. The problem is that it would probably make you look like a bobble head and no one wear it. 

our own tendencies of how we want to look or what feels right playing goal is a major limiting factor toward safety 

• Like 3