Decision on new pads

daffy

Been in Boddam Hybrids (simmons 586) for past 8 years.  My current set are 5yrs old and worn down.  I was going to order Boddam Patriot pads (based on Vaughn V5/6) bit doesn't sound like Boddam will be doing hockey for awhile so looking for input on other options.  What's my kind of pad?  J.Quick and Campbell are my spirit guides wearing soft Vaughn pads. I'm definitely a hybrid goalie but do butterfly alot.

I've tried:

Vaughn V6, Passau, CCM retroflex, Vaughn V8, Warrior G4 and Vaughn SLR.  Last 2 cause a friend of mine has them and let me try out.

My favorite out of the bunch was the V6.  Issue was too tall in the shin.  If I go down to 33 (from 34) then my 5hole is open. Vaughn sizes weird for me.  Ofcourse they felt decent though since the are soft like my Boddams.  If I could find a next to new set in 33+3, I'd be set.  Since that is gonna be next to impossible, here is what I'm considering.

Vaughn v9 non carbon (since they sit taller than V8 or earlier 5 hole should have better coverage),  Warrior GT2 SR (some good clearance prices right now) or Bauer Reactor 9000 (local shop has a new set on clearance and would be close to earlier Velocities). 

Just looking to thoughts from anyone who has gone from the 586 or V4 type of pads to something more updated and what did you choose.  Playing in these different pads I do see the benefits but still want something with that soft boot and more traditional feel.   

Thanks

Edited by daffy

Are you looking custom or off the rack?   If the former, I'd consider Brians.   They can make a pretty soft pad that still lands and slides like a modern pad.  If the latter, going with the Sr GT2 is a good call.   I had a Pro level pair of GT2s that broke in fairly quickly without breaking down.   The SR foams should get softer like you want fairly quickly and at ~$800 you can replace them in a couple years guilt free. 

2 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

Have you seen if Simmons will make you a 586? They're still in operation as far as I know. 

Edit: https://simmonshockey.com/product/simmons-586-pro-series-goalie-pads-custom

Looks like it's not even a special order to get them. 

As much as I love my 586s, I want to move away from them to something lighter, slide better but still have hybrid qualities.  I did check them out though.

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

Are you looking custom or off the rack?   If the former, I'd consider Brians.   They can make a pretty soft pad that still lands and slides like a modern pad.  If the latter, going with the Sr GT2 is a good call.   I had a Pro level pair of GT2s that broke in fairly quickly without breaking down.   The SR foams should get softer like you want fairly quickly and at ~$800 you can replace them in a couple years guilt free. 

Would off the shelf in this case.  Brian's not in the budget right now.  I do keep any eye out for a good used set of Heritage pads but those are hard to find too.  

The Warrior G4s I tried were actually pretty good.  They were my second best feeling pad after the V6s.  The GTs definitely on my radar.  Thanks

35 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

Have you considered JRZ at all? Their Prime line might be worth a look.

I did inquire with them on making a 9000 pad but that was a no go.  Simon at JRZ did say they could build the Prime pad to feel like a V6.  Kind of forgot about that. 

On 5/9/2022 at 11:37 AM, daffy said:

As much as I love my 586s, I want to move away from them to something lighter, slide better but still have hybrid qualities.  I did check them out though.

What about the Bauer Vapor series? They're a softer pad with great sliding qualities.