TGN Deep Dive: Bauer Konekt Skates

TheGoalNet

Wondering if anyone has any good ideas about how to best use ProLaces with the Konekts. @TheGoalNet previously posted a solution using an extra loop through the lower buckle, but I was hoping to avoid adding that extra step.

Using the ProLaces normally, it seems there is a risk that they will slip down and over the toe. Only idea I had was to stretch them to go through the rear hole of the holder and up so that the velcro tabs are between the two buckles, but then I'm a little concerned that they could accidentally flip the buckle forward during play. Any suggestions would be great.

3 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Wondering if anyone has any good ideas about how to best use ProLaces with the Konekts. @TheGoalNet previously posted a solution using an extra loop through the lower buckle, but I was hoping to avoid adding that extra step.

Using the ProLaces normally, it seems there is a risk that they will slip down and over the toe. Only idea I had was to stretch them to go through the rear hole of the holder and up so that the velcro tabs are between the two buckles, but then I'm a little concerned that they could accidentally flip the buckle forward during play. Any suggestions would be great.

I just tied a loop of skate lace through the fabric loop on the tongue and run my prolaces through that so it keeps them from falling down.  simple and works just fine.

AB2EE9F6-18FA-4772-B51D-8402EF7E0632.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:20 PM, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

I spoke much too soon on my initial impressions. If we were concerned about the buckles and their longevity, this is an immediate concern from Bauer. Not been on the ice once, picked them up about 3 hours ago.

IMG_9435.jpg

skates.jpg

On 8/12/2022 at 9:16 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

I strap super tight so I’m not too concerned. Funny that mine was the right skate too. 

I just had this happen to my pair after my 3rd ice time. Right skate for me too.

I spoke to someone at Bauer over social media when I had my issue and they said, "we have identified a problem with a batch of lower cables on the skates where we have seen this issue." At least they're admitting to it - my shop let me do a full swap as I'd not worn them, otherwise Bauer will ship replacement parts to you if you ask them.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

For those that have had the buckle break, contact the warranty department at Bauer and they'll get you a new one. I've got one on the way now. Looks like it just screws in, so it should be a really easy replacement. They want the old buckle returned to them.

That's great. For a first-gen product, that's about all you can ask for. Hope not to have to cross that bridge, but nice to know its there.

36 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

For those that have had the buckle break, contact the warranty department at Bauer and they'll get you a new one. I've got one on the way now. Looks like it just screws in, so it should be a really easy replacement. They want the old buckle returned to them.

At least the buckle designer had the forethought to have an easy way to replace that piece since it is likely to be a wear part.

On 8/14/2022 at 8:27 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

I tested this out at home using 1/2” thick neoprene foam. Just crudely cut pieces the same width as the strap and the area where the strap contacts the tongue.

Early results are very promising. I have an ice session tonight and will try skating with the foam in. Seems securely held by the strap, but if things go well, I’ll make a wider piece and sew on some nylon webbing to create a “sleeve” to go over the strap. Will report back.

8471D465-7528-456D-9E55-FF533C96C99A.jpeg

Found some neoprene laying around the house and going to give it a try next week. I like the idea of going wider than the strap and making a little sleeve to make sure it stays in place. They've actually felt great... but just curious if having a little more pressure there would feel even better. 

B5644787-103E-4078-8B45-E82EF91A0CFE.thumb.jpeg.8fb84f72483b26536e9b7e7c584512b6.jpeg

but on a serious note, called my local Monkey store again and they said they DO have a size 11, but they were on hold for someone that’s had them on hold for too long at this point, so they’re on hold for me now.  Driving up this weekend to get them, hopefully…

Edited by jerd31
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Found some neoprene laying around the house and going to give it a try next week. I like the idea of going wider than the strap and making a little sleeve to make sure it stays in place. They've actually felt great... but just curious if having a little more pressure there would feel even better. 

https://goalieparts.com/products/ecoprofoam-hockey-skate-lacebite-pads.html

7 hours ago, Wrbsti15 said:

Been over 2 weeks and no updates and no skates. 

Was the retailer shipping to you direct? Or to your local store? Could be they learned they weren't supposed to ship to you so they didn't ship. If they were going to ship to your store, could be they didn't ship because they didn't have the equipment for the bake at the local store.

Have you tried reaching out for a status update?

6 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Was the retailer shipping to you direct? Or to your local store? Could be they learned they weren't supposed to ship to you so they didn't ship. If they were going to ship to your store, could be they didn't ship because they didn't have the equipment for the bake at the local store.

Have you tried reaching out for a status update?

Shipping to store. 

On 8/11/2022 at 9:20 PM, RecoveringGoalie1 said:

I spoke much too soon on my initial impressions. If we were concerned about the buckles and their longevity, this is an immediate concern from Bauer. Not been on the ice once, picked them up about 3 hours ago.

IMG_9435.jpg

skates.jpg

I finally got my hands on a size 11 today, and while waiting for mine to bake I was checking out the display pair at the store and this buckle easily snapped out of place.  

Anyone with Konekts that can chime in with their sharpening experience?  

The kid at GM said I shouldn’t go with such a sharp hollow when I said I wanted 1/2”.  I have my blades profiled with a SAM cut and usually go with 7/16”.  He suggested I go with 5/8” on these as goalies have said 1/2” is “too sharp” on Konekts due to more blade staying on the surface during pushes.  I had them do 9/16” on these, I might not even use them before sending out for profiling though.  

I plan to send these and the LS5G’s I have on the way out for profiling and will sharpen at my usual 7/16” unless the feedback is otherwise from others using these. 

1 hour ago, jerd31 said:

Anyone with Konekts that can chime in with their sharpening experience?  

The kid at GM said I shouldn’t go with such a sharp hollow when I said I wanted 1/2”.  I have my blades profiled with a SAM cut and usually go with 7/16”.  He suggested I go with 5/8” on these as goalies have said 1/2” is “too sharp” on Konekts due to more blade staying on the surface during pushes.  I had them do 9/16” on these, I might not even use them before sending out for profiling though.  

I plan to send these and the LS5G’s I have on the way out for profiling and will sharpen at my usual 7/16” unless the feedback is otherwise from others using these. 

I'm on 5/8" with True one piece

Got my Konekts at 7/16" and they felt too dull