Endurance Training

A10airknight

• 4 weeks later...

BURPEES!...the most hated exercise on the planet but you can do them anywhere and they will vastly improve your anaerobic endurance, which is what you need in net.  If your looking to build strength as well, then look into barbell or any other type of complex.  These are very simple and very effective options. Mix in some stretching and foam rolling and your good to go!  No need for any fancy equipment or goalie specific routines, just straight up strength, conditioning and mobility.     

Keep in mind too that getting gassed at the end of a game can also stem from poor nutrition, dehydration, etc...  I need a good dose of carbs and lots of Gatorade or I won't make it through a game in net.  When I skate out, I can play on an empty stomach with some water and I'm fine.  I'm sure not everyone's experience, but what I've learned I need.

I'm a Biosteel man... probably helps some... but more important is the placebo effect of feeling like I'm doing something.

21 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

@cwarnar... just reading the link... totally thought you were sending us to an ED medication site.

19 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I'm a Biosteel man... probably helps some... but more important is the placebo effect of feeling like I'm doing something.

@cwarnar... just reading the link... totally thought you were sending us to an ED medication site.

Lol.. not there yet... I tried Biosteel but hated the taste.  I have the grape BCAA and it's super tasty

24 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Can't do grape... thanks a lot Dimetapp...

Image result for grape dimetapp

Hahaha... Ive also read the Blue Raspberry and Lemon Lime are good. I got a 1/2 deal on a 90 serving grape, but am hoping to try the others soon.

I definitely don't feel as tired or fatigued towards the end of my skates anymore... Plus the muscle soreness the next day isnt as bad

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018 at 11:35 AM, cwarnar said:

Hahaha... Ive also read the Blue Raspberry and Lemon Lime are good. I got a 1/2 deal on a 90 serving grape, but am hoping to try the others soon.

I definitely don't feel as tired or fatigued towards the end of my skates anymore... Plus the muscle soreness the next day isnt as bad

I'm on Fruit Punch for the Scivation stuff and it is fantastic.  Mango is pretty solid.  I tried the Watermelon, and unless you like watermelon Jolly Ranchers, you will hate it (I couldn't finish it).
I also have the GO version (with caffeine) and Elite (helps with hard workouts).

I usually grab the GO in the morning or for an afternoon game.  I take the Elite for my regular (non ice) workouts and late games.

I find that muscle soreness is caused by nutritional deficiencies; usually protein.  I pack protein powder in a shaker bottle for after workouts and games and have not been sore since I started taking a supplement.

To answer the original question, I think you need to mimic what you do on the ice in the gym so the muscles you use in your games are used to the work. 
Generally, this means less cardio (side note: I read somewhere that Khabibulin admitted to smoking pack of cigs a day in his prime!  Not saying you should do this, but goes to show that cardio isn't the best thing for goalies).  Train explosive movements, generally with the legs (squats and things like that).  Foot speed drills with agility ladders are pretty good too.
If you are looking to lift, I suggest going with lower weight and going higher on repetition to work on conditioning.

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

If you are looking to lift, I suggest going with lower weight and going higher on repetition to work on conditioning.

Lower weights will train slow twitch muscles.  Higher weights train fast twitch muscles (yes, this is a gross overgeneralization, but bear with me).  For what we do, we need fast twitch muscles.

When I was squatting 225, I would often get fatigued on the ice.  When I got up to 445 for a single, simply being overall stronger made hockey much easier.  YMMV, but heavy weights for low reps has a real place.  1 rep maxes aren't necessarily what you're aiming for, figure 5 reps or so (I go for 3 because I get bored easily) but I can go up and down all day now that my legs are stronger.  Plus, Maria Mountain agrees with me, so I must be right.  ;)

10 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

Lower weights will train slow twitch muscles.  Higher weights train fast twitch muscles (yes, this is a gross overgeneralization, but bear with me).  For what we do, we need fast twitch muscles.

When I was squatting 225, I would often get fatigued on the ice.  When I got up to 445 for a single, simply being overall stronger made hockey much easier.  YMMV, but heavy weights for low reps has a real place.  1 rep maxes aren't necessarily what you're aiming for, figure 5 reps or so (I go for 3 because I get bored easily) but I can go up and down all day now that my legs are stronger.  Plus, Maria Mountain agrees with me, so I must be right.  ;)

Thanks for that, I didn't realize weight differences had an impact in that regard!

Just to add to what Jeff da Goalie, who is a monster, and Jayluv mentioned, core core and more core. You don't need to look like a male underwear model, unless that's your thing, but ass, abs, and obliques will help you lug that gear around for 60 mins and stay the heck away from lousy not good for you food. 

15 hours ago, Fullright said:

Just to add to what Jeff da Goalie, who is a monster, and Jayluv mentioned, core core and more core. You don't need to look like a male underwear model, unless that's your thing, but ass, abs, and obliques will help you lug that gear around for 60 mins and stay the heck away from lousy not good for you food. 

Agreed.  If your core is weak, everything is tough.  Throw in a day or two of Pilates floor exercises and you're golden.  Or just do planks, side planks, and pushups, making sure to keep your entire core tight.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:16 AM, jeff da goalie said:

See, now I need more than strength.  I've always been able to squat 400+, but my muscular endurance is garbage.  I've really had to start hitting barbell complexes hard to improve that, but still have issues.  I've never been tested, but I've heard that you can be fast twitch heavy (up to 80%) which could be why I struggle so bad with endurance.  I wonder how guys like Matt Murray or Tuuka Rask with those little chicken legs can seem to go forever without getting gassed.

31 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

See, now I need more than strength.  I've always been able to squat 400+, but my muscular endurance is garbage.  I've really had to start hitting barbell complexes hard to improve that, but still have issues.  I've never been tested, but I've heard that you can be fast twitch heavy (up to 80%) which could be why I struggle so bad with endurance.  I wonder how guys like Matt Murray or Tuuka Rask with those little chicken legs can seem to go forever without getting gassed.

MM and TR are in their 20s or early 30s.  ;)  

I suppose I should note that in my quest for a 450 lb squat (this was coming off a torn MCL playing hockey) I did a ton of reps in my periodization.  I'd do 7 sets of 6 reps, working up to 8 sets of heavy triples.  So there was an endurance aspect as well.  But in any event, it was always heavy.  

I hate barbell complexes with a passion.  The only thing I hate more are Prowler sprints.  But they are good for you.

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

Take about 50% of your max squat and do some sets of 20. Good times. ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 1:58 PM, insertnamehere said:

Take about 50% of your max squat and do some sets of 20. Good times. ?

The only time I've ever hallucinated was around rep 18.  I'm pretty sure I had a religious experience.  And if that is what hell is like, I'm going to give up sinning!

Most important questions is how is your health? Are you over-weight? Do you need to go on a diet? Is that a concern at all? If it is, that's your answer, cardio and diet while incorporating a bit of weights in your workouts.  If you're not coming out sweating, you're not working hard enough and this helps on the ice.

Archived