Brian Heaton History Thread

TheGoalNet

Guys, I feel obligated to share my personal Brian Heaton Story.

I am currently the Director of Goaltender Development for a Private Hockey Training Center (9 years running, 3 locations), a boys Varsity Hockey Goalie Coach (also 9 years running with currently 1 NHL draft pick & 1 signed), & I also work for a major equipment manufacturer (not Brian's). In other words, when I heard about the man, myth & legend of Brian Heaton, that's what I always wanted to do. I'm blessed to have made a career out of this sport, without going any further than college hockey in a small town tending net.

I got to meet Brian at the Hockey Expo in St. Paul, MN in the early 2000's. He spent HOURS talking to me. Attached is the sticker that I proudly wear on my skull plate in his remembrance (see pic). Yes, my mask was made by Jerry Wright (but I have hidden Mr. Wright's contact info).

Brian literally changed the game for us goalies. Growing up in the late 80's & early 90's, seeing the custom creations of Sean Burke, Trevor Kidd, Jim Carey, Guy Hebert, Olaf Kolzig, etc. just to name a few. They looked SO COOL compared to the rest of them. Truly custom.

Yes, I wore Brian's/ & Heaton for my entire goalie career (head to toe). I LOVED my puckfoils in high school & college. He was truly a visionary & someone that even to this day I strive to become!!

Cheers!

JerryWrightBrianHeaton.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 months later...

Good morning gents,

Just received new to me Heaton 5 glove and blocker. I've always been a Vaughn loyalist but have always been curious about Heaton/Brian equipment. Through the years of playing have worn  an entire set of Brian's and a Heaton glove. Anyways, just curios if I can get info about the H5 glove. Since everything of the GSBB has been wiped off the face of the internet I was able to fine Heaton information here but not what I was looking for. I've inserted pics of both the glove and blocker. The glove is 4700 model and blocker is a 6700 model. Was the 4700 a senior version made with lesser grade material as oppose to the 6700? The jenpro on the 4700 does feel less in quality than the 6700. The H5 logo is heat printed on the glove and on the blocker is a raised rubber logo. Any info will be helpful. Thanks. Enjoy the pic.

IMG_5873.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

IMG_5875.jpg

IMG_5876.jpg

IMG_5877.jpg

IMG_5878.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg

IMG_5880.jpg

Great pickup—I don't know anything about the H5, sorry to say.

Mostly just bummed to learn that GSBB is completely wiped—even when it was a dead forum, those old threads (like the Heaton ones) had some great information, much of which is probably going to be "lost to history" at this point. Of course there will be people who owned/know a lot about older gear like Heaton, but it's unlikely they're going to redeposit that knowledge on the internet for posterity. 

12 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Mostly just bummed to learn that GSBB is completely wiped—even when it was a dead forum, those old threads (like the Heaton ones) had some great information, much of which is probably going to be "lost to history" at this point. Of course there will be people who owned/know a lot about older gear like Heaton, but it's unlikely they're going to redeposit that knowledge on the internet for posterity. 

So true. And so disappointing because as you stated, even though the board was no longer active I was still able to go there and search for anything and everything goalie equipment. Still cant believe I got the dreaded http 404 not found page when I was gonna search about these Heatons. :-(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

1 hour ago, goalieworld35 said:

So true. And so disappointing because as you stated, even though the board was no longer active I was still able to go there and search for anything and everything goalie equipment. Still cant believe I got the dreaded http 404 not found page when I was gonna search about these Heatons. 😞

https://web.archive.org/web/20130316044909/http://goaliestore.com/

Not entirely lost. Luckily this website has taken snippets of the page over time and you are able to browse to some extent on there.

It would require someone to comb through each page to gather the information and compile it, but it's there if anyone is willing to wander around blindly on the webpage.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Not entirely lost. Luckily this website has taken snippets of the page over time and you are able to browse to some extent on there.

It would require someone to comb through each page to gather the information and compile it, but it's there if anyone is willing to wander around blindly on the webpage.

Thank you.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:45 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

How does this work? Ever since you posted this link, I clicked and have been attempting to browse, but it seems limited. I can’t sign in and I can’t search. It seems to be stuck in 2012. Or is it limited for me since I’m viewing on a phone?

8 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

How does this work? Ever since you posted this link, I clicked and have been attempting to browse, but it seems limited. I can’t sign in and I can’t search. It seems to be stuck in 2012. Or is it limited for me since I’m viewing on a phone?

It takes snap shots of the website. All of the server functionality doesn't exist. So log ins, searches, etc. aren't going to be available as you're essentially viewing an image with semi working links.

So don't expect a lot from it.

On 11/8/2019 at 5:32 AM, goalieworld35 said:

Good morning gents,

Just received new to me Heaton 5 glove and blocker. I've always been a Vaughn loyalist but have always been curious about Heaton/Brian equipment. Through the years of playing have worn  an entire set of Brian's and a Heaton glove. Anyways, just curios if I can get info about the H5 glove. Since everything of the GSBB has been wiped off the face of the internet I was able to fine Heaton information here but not what I was looking for. I've inserted pics of both the glove and blocker. The glove is 4700 model and blocker is a 6700 model. Was the 4700 a senior version made with lesser grade material as oppose to the 6700? The jenpro on the 4700 does feel less in quality than the 6700. The H5 logo is heat printed on the glove and on the blocker is a raised rubber logo. Any info will be helpful. Thanks. Enjoy the pic.

Yes, 4700 was the Senior version.  You can see the SR tag in one of your photos.

Also, as you alluded to, the H% logo is heat transferred.  As seen in the attached photo, the Pro version had the full H5 rubberized logo.

Helite5trap.jpeg

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:43 PM, Naz said:

Yes, 4700 was the Senior version.  You can see the SR tag in one of your photos.

Also, as you alluded to, the H% logo is heat transferred.  As seen in the attached photo, the Pro version had the full H5 rubberized logo.

Helite5trap.jpeg

Thanks for the info. I was a bit disappointed with it being a senior model, you can tell the difference in quality of jenpro btwn the glove and blocker, but then I say to myself that a senior model, especially made by heaton, is a helluva a lot better quality than the "pro" gear of today that is made overseas.

1 hour ago, goalieworld35 said:

Thanks for the info. I was a bit disappointed with it being a senior model, you can tell the difference in quality of jenpro btwn the glove and blocker, but then I say to myself that a senior model, especially made by heaton, is a helluva a lot better quality than the "pro" gear of today that is made overseas.

Not saying that modern gear isn’t made for longevity and repairs in mind, but it is now definitely going that way, unlike back in the day with Heaton, et.al. I really am surprised that Heaton did not have an MIA* version of gear even back then.  

You could easily refresh foams, etc. and press this stuff back into service when it starts to feel broken down rather than broken in.

*MIA: Made In Asia

5 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Not saying that modern gear isn’t made for longevity and repairs in mind, but it is now definitely going that way, unlike back in the day with Heaton, et.al. I really am surprised that Heaton did not have an MIA* version of gear even back then.  

You could easily refresh foams, etc. and press this stuff back into service when it starts to feel broken down rather than broken in.

*MIA: Made In Asia

I still see equipment that still look new yet the toe/inside boot area is worn/ripped through. So IMO I cant say its better unfortunately. 

On 11/15/2019 at 6:09 PM, bunnyman666 said:

I see Heaton on the side rolls. I wonder if it was some prototype?

Sorry- TOTALLY misread the side roll.

Edit- nope; either Aeroflex or Winlite.

Man, I don't know. Zoom in on this picture on eBay. Looks like the Heaton logo for sure. Why can't I find a side shot of thse pads??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREG-STEFAN-1986-AUTOGRAPHED-DETROIT-RED-WINGS-LITTLE-CAESARS-POSTCARD-/351782699284

I think the logos may be attached to Aeroflex/Winlite pads. How about that? The top logo looks loose. Like it was glued on and peeling off.

EDIT:

Heaton logo for sure:

41496.jpg

Edited by MTH