Nut shot

Netnewbie

Well tonight the inevitable happened, shot from the point dropped to the butterfly and pow right in the baby maker!  I got a good cup and have taken a few shots in the area before but tonight the shot was HARD.  In case your wondering yes It hurt right away and yes I doubled over in pain.  Now I'm not just writing this so the sake of story telling I am wondering if there is anything I can do to further protect the jewels or any other suggestions input. Any suggestions myself and my nuts would appreciate!

5 minutes ago, Netnewbie said:

Well tonight the inevitable happened, shot from the point dropped to the butterfly and pow right in the baby maker!  I got a good cup and have taken a few shots in the area before but tonight the shot was HARD.  In case your wondering yes It hurt right away and yes I doubled over in pain.  Now I'm not just writing this so the sake of story telling I am wondering if there is anything I can do to further protect the jewels or any other suggestions input. Any suggestions myself and my nuts would appreciate!

What unit are you using?

Well my friend, that's your problem right there - it's Powertek. Nothing against the brand itself but they even say so on their website they they provide opening price point hockey products. If you don't know what that means it's basically a nice way to dress up the fact that they make lower end equipment and that jock is no exception. Anyway if you insist on sticking with it, that's your call. If you have to modify it or buy a secondary cup to increase protection, either way you're gonna be spending some money so you may as well get something stronger and a higher grade.

In another thread, most people on this thread (myself included) use and recommend the Warrior Ritual jock. It's basically a double cup and is a very solid unit. But either way, most goalie jocks available on the market are better quality than what you have, respectfully.

13 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

Well my friend, that's your problem right there - it's Powertek. Nothing against the brand itself but they even say so on their website they they provide opening price point hockey products. If you don't know what that means it's basically a nice way to dress up the fact that they make lower end equipment and that jock is no exception. Anyway if you insist on sticking with it, that's your call. If you have to modify it or buy a secondary cup to increase protection, either way you're gonna be spending some money so you may as well get something stronger and a higher grade.

In another thread, most people on this thread (myself included) use and recommend the Warrior Ritual jock. It's basically a double cup and is a very solid unit. But either way, most goalie jocks available on the market are better quality than what you have, respectfully.

Ok well guess I should have don't some better research.  New cup here I come.

I am a triple deckerer (double cup goal jock over a player cup) when it comes to protecting the nether region. Also- if you wear compression garments, it gives your goal jock a place to grab onto, so to speak. Between compression garments being slick (goal jock moves around) and your junk getting compressed down, that area becomes more vulnerable. I learnt that lesson the hard way. 

You want a goal jock with two cups and considerable protection buffering the cups. Some prefer an air bladder, some (like me) have a kevlar cup in the series of cups. This is NOT an area you want to skimp on. 

I personally don't like goalie jocks, find them too bulky and uncomfortable, plus the last Reebok one I had shattered from a shot and the broken plastic didn't feel too good.  I guess thats why most guys will double them up, but thats just too much going on there.  What I wear now are compression pants with a players jock short over that with the Shock Doctor stainless steel cup and a 3/8" piece of air gel over top.  Much less bulky and I've never had a problem with nut shots since.

10 hours ago, ZarafonitisD said:

Player cup under your goalie cup, a lot of pros do it

9 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Source?

I do it... and every time my little guy watches a hockey game on TV he thinks it's Daddy playing (at both ends)... so by association... all goalies he has ever seen play on TV do it.

I had that same problem with a Bauer reactor cup that I had modified to have a double cup, finally I switched to a bigger warrior ritual cup and I noticed a huge increase in protection with no loss of mobility. I highly recommend the warrior ritual cup

I haven't had any issues so far, but I wear some random EDGE (Made in Canada) goalie jock for years. It's been my only goalie cup I've ever worn. I can't even find a picture of it online, so it's pretty obscure I would think. 

Though the straps are all but toast and it can shift around more than I'd like, so I'm thinking a upgrade is in my future. I'm thinking of keeping this cup and installing it on whichever new jock I get to make my own double cup... just in case. 

On 2/19/2018 at 11:59 AM, Fullright said:

Without suggesting something Holmes-ian, it is also a good idea to wear an elastic "supporter" to keep the goods under the goalie cup.

This is what I find to be the most important. If everything is not tucked in, it's going to hurt on impact. I kept a few pair of bikini underwear just for playing net and had not felt any discomfort since doing so 10 years ago.

Archived