Whats your ideal neck guard design?

Hey everyone,

So if you could design your ideal neck guard, what features would it have?

Or any specific dimensions?

What would you change about your current model?

Some companies will claim theres may be cut proof, in my experience any material can be cut thru with enough force and repetition, even kevlar.

I'd love to hear your ideas!

Edited by SentryHockey

• SentryHockey changed the title to Whats your ideal neck guard design?

The Warrior Ritual X3 Pro Senior Protective Neck Guard is on the right track but has the major flaw of having thin seams where the foam around the neck connects. I bought one and it tore apart at those neck seams after a month - got a free replacement and it did the same thing.

That said, it was very comfortable with its medium neck height, large coverage area, high quality impact foam, and a bib in the back to hold it in place. 

I'd buy it again tomorrow if they fixed the neck foam problem..............

rx3cp1bgr_war_01_i.jpg

• Like 3

My Maltese is bang on in my opinion. Nice neck height, good bib coverage and no elastic give at the back, stays in place the whole game. The velcro needs replacing but that's it. It saved me a couple times.

If anything, a full kevlar coverage would make it complete. Otherwise, I've been using it for 10 years and am not too willing to let it go.

I think the closest model is the Roughneck. Too bad Phil couldn't keep Maltese going.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 10:06 AM, RichMan said:

My Maltese is bang on in my opinion. Nice neck height, good bib coverage and no elastic give at the back, stays in place the whole game. The velcro needs replacing but that's it. It saved me a couple times.

If anything, a full kevlar coverage would make it complete. Otherwise, I've been using it for 10 years and am not too willing to let it go.

I think the closest model is the Roughneck. Too bad Phil couldn't keep Maltese going.

100%.  My old Maltese is still going strong.  The best ones that seem to last the longest are the full gel ones where you had to call Phil to order and spent an hour + on the phone with him.

I see some of the other foam/gel type neckguards for sale with little use that have fabric that looks more worn than my Maltese.  My only worry is when (if ever) the material on my Maltese gets too worn is getting it reskined.  I wonder if Sara @ PAW or someone of the same ilk could do it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hockey37 said:

100%.  My old Maltese is still going strong.  The best ones that seem to last the longest are the full gel ones where you had to call Phil to order and spent an hour + on the phone with him.

I see some of the other foam/gel type neckguards for sale with little use that have fabric that looks more worn than my Maltese.  My only worry is when (if ever) the material on my Maltese gets too worn is getting it reskined.  I wonder if Sara @ PAW or someone of the same ilk could do it. 

Same on everything.  I have the old full gel which was getting a little worn and two of the 2nd gen gels (which weren't as good, as my 2nd had the new sections of foam separate in 2 places after just a month of use and they agreed and sent me a replacement/3rd which has lasted much longer).  I got to keep the defective one and it will still work, and because it broke in a couple spots in the neck, folds nicely as a backup in my gearbag.  Would never play without one, its worth carrying as a backup (anyone else pack a goalie underwear extra bag?).  I need to reskin as well.  Fabric stores carry the material now, just have to know what you're doing.  Which I don't.  I don't think PAW fixes other brands gear anymore, but would email to confirm.

So in summary, 1st gen Maltese neck/clav combo is where it's at.  Perfect unit, and you could custom order back then because people had different needs (collar height, neck dips, +/- on the clav).  I found wearing the clav under your shirt, directly on the skin and the rear fabric hanging outside the shirt, helped hold the neck guard still and I've been wearing these for probably 13 years.

I'm working on something totally custom right now. I hope to be able to show pictures real soon. But the way I was thinking is: Making a neck-guard for those who hates neck-guards. I stopped wearing neck-guards (and danglers) when I started playing semi-pro in 2004.

It was affecting my head mobility and downward vision and I've prefer to take that risk and "playing better". But now, at the point that I am (beer leagues), I'm tired of collar bones bruises but still can't stand wearing a neck-guard. I can't stand having something bulky wrapped around my neck. So I went into a little project and get a fully custom one.

Also, my neck measures something like 21.5" and I couldn't find one that fits me in stores.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback. I made few neckguards pre-covid. The foam worked well but unfortunately once covid came the supplier wasnt able to get their patented foam anymore. 

I found a new type of HD foam I'm working with. I plan on relaunching this year offering neckguards, knee pads and mask pad kits featuring this foam.

In the video below I dropped a 5.5lb steel ball on 1/4" D30 and 1/4" black foam, which is what I'm using. As you can see the black foam absorbed more of an impact.

I tested every foam available, eva, Poron, Rubatex, Evazote foams, shocktec and the gel Maltese used and this was better than any. When I have time I'll do another video.

Thanks for the ideas on the neckguards!

• Thanks 1