Your height and your paddle size !

Many

Just want to know what's your height and what stick size do you use 

please do not give your paddle size on the stick but the size with this method

TG_True_Paddle_Measurement_Diagram.jpg

5'8 and 25.75  inch paddle size   ( it's a 24 inch vaughn stick ) 

probably a bit big but it's fine 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the way all goalie sticks should be measured by every manufacturer. There is literally zero reason for them to do it any other way.

Anyway, 5'9" and use a 27.5" (26" Warrior).

I'm also now using one that is an inch longer but its a special grip from Passau so I hold it farther down the paddle. It's a Passau 28.5 (they use actual sizes). 

11 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Interesting you use a stick that small. Do you have a really low crouch? 

I wouldn't say my crouch is low I just like the feeling of a smaller stick (hehe). Feels better in bfly and not as awkward, I also ordered a shorter shaft so its a pretty small stick. I have a Ccm Premier Plus 27" that I've used about 3 times (actually 27.5") and it feels way to big.

2 hours ago, bfast said:

I wouldn't say my crouch is low I just like the feeling of a smaller stick (hehe). Feels better in bfly and not as awkward, I also ordered a shorter shaft so its a pretty small stick. I have a Ccm Premier Plus 27" that I've used about 3 times (actually 27.5") and it feels way to big.

^^^^ The right paddle length is even more important when in butterfly than your crouch. Has a dramatic affect on blocker position.

5'11, using a 26" Northstar by the measurement guide above.

Northstar lists it as a 25", which is about a 1/4" shorter than a CCM 25".

I find the shorter paddle lets me get the blocker in the correct position in front of my body when I'm in the butterfly.

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Interesting you use a stick that small. Do you have a really low crouch? 

This is actually pretty typical for pro guys. NHL is limited to 26” paddle height. So Luo, Price, Bishop, etc use a 26” paddle or smaller 

Pretty sure Luo and Price both use a 25.5 or 25”

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This is actually pretty typical for pro guys. NHL is limited to 26” paddle height. So Luo, Price, Bishop, etc use a 26” paddle or smaller 

Pretty sure Luo and Price both use a 25.5 or 25”

Saw a lot of pro stock sticks when I worked retail.  The paddle heights below are CCM measurements.
The trend I noticed back then was goalies 6' and below used 25".  Goalies 6'1 and over predominantly used 26" paddles. Fleury was an exception until recently.
Keep in mind the 2"/20lb rule - most players are inflated about 2"' and 20lb.  So Roy is probably realistically 5'10. 

Roy and Aebischer used 25".  Trivia: Aebischer copied Roy's pattern 100%.
Raycroft and Turco used a 25"
Fleury started with a 25" but I believe now is in a 26".*
Brodeur, Luongo, Giguere all used 26".
Turco and Fleury curves are nearly identical; I think Turcos are built to be slightly whippier.
 - for some reason, I recall the Turco/Fleury curve being very similar to a Sherwood Thibault

Those above twigs are patterns I saw every day.

Price are in a 26", although this may be a little different because of how he has the shoulders shaved

Rinne uses a very short paddle.  May be 25" or shorter.

*re Fleury:   I think this changed over when he moved into white gear.  When he first broke into the league, only the toe of his stick blade would touch the ice in basic stance and crease movements.

@Chenner29 - Awesome data above.

For the data you are sharing, where and how was it obtained? 

I’ve started to realize that some of the “Pro Stock” Sticks at retail are just custom sticks ordered to sell. They could have whatever paddle height the retailer wants. 

I have know way of knowing who it was actually made for or if it was a “pro stock curve for stock”, but the foam core Luongo I saw at Behind The Mask was definitely a 25”. I was shocked, but it could have been made for sale. 

At Goalie Monkey Montreal, I saw what appeared to be a pro stock Price 27”, but clearly that was just a stick made for sales purposes. 

Here’s some examples 

358F9E56-7691-46F6-AAB3-74A846B3D993.jpeg

9AABE2B2-152C-406A-B89A-2A0BC25A9C9E.jpeg

7E4F52E7-DD87-4946-B123-104D2B3EB680.jpeg

55ED9E15-F7F1-40CC-9E16-ABA8E7F799AF.jpeg

9 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Saw a lot of pro stock sticks when I worked retail.  The paddle heights below are CCM measurements.
The trend I noticed back then was goalies 6' and below used 25".  Goalies 6'1 and over predominantly used 26" paddles. Fleury was an exception until recently.
Keep in mind the 2"/20lb rule - most players are inflated about 2"' and 20lb.  So Roy is probably realistically 5'10. 

Turco and Fleury curves are nearly identical; I think Turcos are built to be slightly whippier.
 - for some reason, I recall the Turco/Fleury curve being very similar to a Sherwood Thibault

Price are in a 26", although this may be a little different because of how he has the shoulders shaved

*re Fleury:   I think this changed over when he moved into white gear.  When he first broke into the league, only the toe of his stick blade would touch the ice in basic stance and crease movements.

I assume you're talking about actual lengths, rather than the nonsensical number stamped on the stick? lol. 

12 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

good post ! so if I understand price is in a 28.25 inch and fleury with a 27.25  with the chart in the first post ? 

CCM 550 Paddle Measurement
Listed Size TG True Size
27" 29.25"
26" 28.25"
25"

27.25"

https://goalie.purehockey.com/product/Pro_Authentic_Foam_Core_Goalie_Stick_-_Carey_Price/itm/18960-41/

just found this, seem to be pretty close it's a 28.5 paddle ( 26.25 ccm measurement )

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I’ve started to realize that some of the “Pro Stock” Sticks at retail are just custom sticks ordered to sell. They could have whatever paddle height the retailer wants. 

I have know way of knowing who it was actually made for or if it was a “pro stock curve for stock”, but the foam core Luongo I saw at Behind The Mask was definitely a 25”. I was shocked, but it could have been made for sale. 

At Goalie Monkey Montreal, I saw what appeared to be a pro stock Price 27”, but clearly that was just a stick made for sales purposes. 

Here’s some examples 

358F9E56-7691-46F6-AAB3-74A846B3D993.jpeg

9AABE2B2-152C-406A-B89A-2A0BC25A9C9E.jpeg

7E4F52E7-DD87-4946-B123-104D2B3EB680.jpeg

55ED9E15-F7F1-40CC-9E16-ABA8E7F799AF.jpeg

You're absolutely right and it's very confusing !

11 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Here’s some examples

Interesting to see and I didn't realize pro stocks were built to order like that.  It could actually explain why I saw some Bryzgalov RBK branded sticks with a 27 or 28" paddle.

I collected that stuff over the time I worked retail.  We were one of the largest stocking dealers of pro stock sticks in the US. 
Back then (over 10 years ago), you could easily tell the pro stocks by the stamped name on the shaft (vs. the printed on the retail sticks).

I think nowadays, true pro stocks actually have a barcode and sticker on the underside of the shaft?
I went through a "stick phase" at the time and went ham buying singles of every stick I could and playing around with them.
I went as far as creating my own formula (that I no longer remember) for converting paddle heights between manufacturers.  IE. a Nike Bauer 26" was 1" shorter than a 26" RBK or whatever.

I ordered a custom 12 pack of RBK sticks back in the day and RBK goofed, sent me 26" paddle heights instead of 25"s; this leads to my theory below*:

Another idea is that "pro stock" sticks are sticks truly made for the goalie in question, but with small goofs.  Wrong paddle heights, cosmetic blems or wrong color zones, wrong shaft heights, etc.  We don't see it in our day to day because when we stop by a store, we see up to a half dozen of the same stick on a rack at the store; when EQMs get them at the pro level, they are getting several dozen and it is easy to tell differences between batches in that volume.

*if your local store got some white/orange/navy RBK Premier 2 sticks with "CHENNER" on them labelled as a pro return and you bought them....I'm sorry I never played anywhere special.  LOL

6'1" and I use a 25" 1S which is an actual 27" length. 

I used a 27.5" in old Bauer sizing for a bit a while ago (One100 era I think, which would be a 26" / 28" in current sizing) but because my arms are so long it was messing up hand placement in the butterfly and I couldn't get used to it. 

I'm 6'2", and I use a Sherwood stick that is 27" (though it's listed as 25").

Chenner, I'm a bit skeptical of some of the pro measurements you listed. I have a game-used Brodeur stick, which you listed as a true 26" (unless you meant 26" was the manufacturer's size, which, as we can all see, tend not to be reliable), and the paddle is considerably longer than my Sherwood, which is a true 27" (both by Pure Goalie's measurements and my own). Not a criticism, just curious as to how you determined that measurement.

Amazing how something as simple as paddle length has been bungled so badly by the manufacturers... get the ISO in there, quick!

Archived