Opinions on Chest Protectors

On 11/8/2023 at 6:13 AM, pfeiffjay54 said:

What are some options for beefy chest protectors, I absolutely hate feeling shots and my ve8 is falling apart on me. Also any opinions on Simmons? Seems like a solid budget option. Thanks guys.

Simmons is beefy, but originally it was also glunky with huge floaters and all. I made a mod-project of one and it was better after that. When in locker room it isn't really good feeling but when on ice it works as it should, I really don't notice it much.

But for what you can buy, the best is Brown for protection, then comes the line of Pro chestys. Warrior is the one I would suggest too. All models look boxy and if you want you can feel that too. But still on the ice my R/GT2 is the most unnoticeable C/A I've had, and no problems with stingers.

I've had a few skates in my Mach now and absolutely loving it. Almost no stingers anywhere (other than the top of the shoulder floaters) and much better rebound control than expected. The mobility on it also blows my X3 out of the water and doesn't feel all that much smaller to wear but much less bulky. 

As for the top of the shoulder floaters, on bauer retail chests they're very very thin compared to the front of the floater. During my second skate I got a bruise through the floater after a shrug save. I've added 0.5in of medium density foam under the floater and have had no issues since. 

Screenshot_20231112_003624_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8caab602b657a8ea7fa0ea985482d268.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I've had a few skates in my Mach now and absolutely loving it. Almost no stingers anywhere (other than the top of the shoulder floaters) and much better rebound control than expected. The mobility on it also blows my X3 out of the water and doesn't feel all that much smaller to wear but much less bulky. 

As for the top of the shoulder floaters, on bauer retail chests they're very very thin compared to the front of the floater. During my second skate I got a bruise through the floater after a shrug save. I've added 0.5in of medium density foam under the floater and have had no issues since. 

Screenshot_20231112_003624_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8caab602b657a8ea7fa0ea985482d268.jpg

How's the arm articulation compared to Warrior units?

1 hour ago, ethanallen said:

So I should get a Warrior? I thought about Brown, but those are expensive and I may grow a bit. I'm 6'2".

Warrior is a good choice, just note that like most of their gear, they have a unique feel compared to most other brands. 

As much as I like to pound the drum about how great their stuff is, I always recommend guys try it first. Their gear can be quite polarizing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Warrior is a good choice, just note that like most of their gear, they have a unique feel compared to most other brands. 

As much as I like to pound the drum about how great their stuff is, I always recommend guys try it first. Their gear can be quite polarizing. 

I will have to check them out. I am finding that my soft LT80 Vaughn chesty is not going to last out the season and I could get hurt. The bruises may to sexy to the ladies, but I kinda hurt the next day after practice.

4 hours ago, ethanallen said:

I will have to check them out. I am finding that my soft LT80 Vaughn chesty is not going to last out the season and I could get hurt. The bruises may to sexy to the ladies, but I kinda hurt the next day after practice.

I was in a LT90 before making the switch to my first Warrior. 

Follow me young one 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I've been using my Simmons 995 for over a decade.  If you'll be possibly outgrowing it, save yourself some cash and buy a Simmons.  It was made as a copy of the original RBK pro units which are now basically the CCM pro units of today.

The 995 and prior series (excluding the matrix) all have a CCM/Vaughn mixed look to them. I'm surprised they haven't come out with an actual pro CCM copy we're all trying to hunt down for a bargain.

@ethanallen Try to go for last years models, whatever brand you choose, to save money since you're still sprouting. You could also look for used pro returns at a good deal.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I was in a LT90 before making the switch to my first Warrior. 

Follow me young one 

My local Pure Goalie saved two of the Warrior units for me to try Tuesday night. Bonus is that they are on sale! I just glued more yoga mat to my LT80 for my start tomorrow night. Warrior seems is where I'm going for gear. Knee guards, helmet and possibly chest protectors. 

1 hour ago, ethanallen said:

My local Pure Goalie saved two of the Warrior units for me to try Tuesday night. Bonus is that they are on sale! I just glued more yoga mat to my LT80 for my start tomorrow night. Warrior seems is where I'm going for gear. Knee guards, helmet and possibly chest protectors. 

If you're going for warrior, definitely go for the Rx3 line over the rx4. 

The only difference between the two is essentially colour. May as well save a few hundred bucks. 

• Thanks 1

Like @ThatCarGuy said the Mach is an amazing chest protector I’ve had mine since the beginning of last season on the ice about 6 days a week and still have no problem with it. The mobility is probably the best of any chest protectors and protection is great to, I haven’t had a problem with the shoulders like Thatcarguy but every now and again I’ll get a stinger in the arms, still haven’t gotten any bruises from it but can feel some of the hard shots to the arms. 

@ethanallen I would suggest trying a Mach on as well when you go try the warrior on. 

• Thanks 1

@coopaloop1234Do you have a recommendation on sizing on the RX3 Pro+ Chest if I'm right at the 70" mark in arm span? According to size guide I'm right at the top end of a Small, and a Bottom end of a Medium and nowhere local has any I can try.

Also PS fairly certain you bought a set from me on SL before, possibly even the set in my avi? lol

Edited by Smalls

23 minutes ago, Smalls said:

@coopaloop1234Do you have a recommendation on sizing on the RX3 Pro+ Chest if I'm right at the 70" mark in arm span? According to size guide I'm right at the top end of a Small, and a Bottom end of a Medium and nowhere local has any I can try.

Also PS fairly certain you bought a set from me on SL before, possibly even the set in my avi? lol

I'd have to measure myself, but I think I was about the same. Medium came down to over top of my wrist bone on my rgt pro (which had adjustable arms) small is perfect. I'll get you my measurements and pictures when I can. 

And yea, I'm that guy haha. I recognized your avatar Immediately. The guy that bought your G6 set offered to sell me it for more than you offered me initially 😂

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'd have to measure myself, but I think I was about the same. Medium came down to over top of my wrist bone on my rgt pro (which had adjustable arms) small is perfect. I'll get you my measurements and pictures when I can. 

And yea, I'm that guy haha. I recognized your avatar Immediately. The guy that bought your G6 set offered to sell me it for more than you offered me initially 😂

Okay please do, going to try to pick up something on SL this weekend or early this week if I can. I was thinking the small just because I like if arms are shorter rather than longer.

Oh nooo, lol he did tell me he was going to sell it and get his own G6 colorway.

3 minutes ago, Smalls said:

Okay please do, going to try to pick up something on SL this weekend or early this week if I can. I was thinking the small just because I like if arms are shorter rather than longer.

Oh nooo, lol he did tell me he was going to sell it and get his own G6 colorway.

So fingertip to fingertip I have 69.5" span. Here is a picture of the arms with a G6 glove. 

This is from my image reel, I can't get to my garage at the moment. Hopefully this helps. 

20231016_161838.jpg

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So fingertip to fingertip I have 69.5" span. Here is a picture of the arms with a G6 glove. 

This is from my image reel, I can't get to my garage at the moment. Hopefully this helps. 

20231016_161838.jpg

Yep thanks, I think that will work great. Going to pull the trigger on SL then.

Also sorry for the hijack OP.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 3:50 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

Mach is in its own league. Forget the top of my head, I can reach the back of my neck. 

On 11/12/2023 at 9:33 PM, Hockey34 said:

Like @ThatCarGuy said the Mach is an amazing chest protector I’ve had mine since the beginning of last season on the ice about 6 days a week and still have no problem with it. The mobility is probably the best of any chest protectors and protection is great to, I haven’t had a problem with the shoulders like Thatcarguy but every now and again I’ll get a stinger in the arms, still haven’t gotten any bruises from it but can feel some of the hard shots to the arms. 

@ethanallen I would suggest trying a Mach on as well when you go try the warrior on. 

Can either of you comment on how the shoulder floaters impact looking side to side? Glad to hear about the arm mobility, but my other pet peeve when I've looked at upgrading is I can't stand it if the chin of my mask is restricted by the floaters. I want the absolute opposite of what Matt Murray seems to want. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, froese said:

Can either of you comment on how the shoulder floaters impact looking side to side? Glad to hear about the arm mobility, but my other pet peeve when I've looked at upgrading is I can't stand it if the chin of my mask is restricted by the floaters. I want the absolute opposite of what Matt Murray seems to want. Thanks!

I added an extra half inch of padding under the shoulders of mine and wear a throat guard  and still have no issues with mobility

• Like 1