2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

19 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Honestly, I'd love to see the Canucks go back to the flying spaghetti skate and it's colour scheme and have the upcoming Seattle team take ownership of the Blue/Green.

Blue/Green is a far more PNW colour scheme than that yellow green colour. I know it would have a tie in with the Sonics, but I think the the tie in with the Seahawks is a better fit.

I'd like this too, but I don't see the timing matching up. By the time the Canucks would hypothetically consider a full-on embrace of the flying skate jersey (I'm guessing another 2, maybe 3 seasons... if at all), Seattle's colors will have already been established... and you can always count on a new team to stick with their look for a good stretch. They have a brand identity to establish, etc.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

I'd like this too, but I don't see the timing matching up. By the time the Canucks would hypothetically consider a full-on embrace of the flying skate jersey (I'm guessing another 2, maybe 3 seasons... if at all), Seattle's colors will have already been established... and you can always count on a new team to stick with their look for a good stretch. They have a brand identity to establish, etc.

I think your assessment for a tentative timeline for a switch is pretty accurate. We just had the fan vote for the spaghetti skate to come back as thirds for NEXT year. That garners at the very least two years after to make a switch, most likely longer.

But hey, who knows, maybe the Seattle brass will choose some god awful colour scheme regardless of the tie in possibilities. Imagine if they decided to rehash the Thrashers colour scheme?

30 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Great shot

That guy in yellow is pretty good, too.

Do the Canucks use orcas much in their marketing or broadcasting or any supplementary branding outside of the C logo?

Is their mascot an orca?

I concede that an orca is off limits anywhere else, but man, that could be such a good team concept down here.  There are orcas, after all, basically living in the city.

We could move this tangent to my Seattle thread.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Honestly, I'd love to see the Canucks go back to the flying spaghetti skate and it's colour scheme and have the upcoming Seattle team take ownership of the Blue/Green.

Blue/Green is a far more PNW colour scheme than that yellow green colour. I know it would have a tie in with the Sonics, but I think the the tie in with the Seahawks is a better fit.

Gunmetal instead of black? I think that might work as an updated version of the original flying skate design.

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Do the Canucks use orcas much in their marketing or broadcasting or any supplementary branding outside of the C logo?

Is their mascot an orca?

I concede that an orca is off limits anywhere else, but man, that could be such a good team concept down here.  There are orcas, after all, basically living in the city.

Not really, other than Fin the mascot there isn't too much. They have started focusing a bit more on Johnny Canuck, maybe a precursor to a redesign? Honestly, I still prefer the flying skate design from the 90's.

12 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Is their mascot an orca?

Do you not know the glory that is Fin the Orca?

372290050_1fe6dd1c89_o.jpg.036c19844964620113ef2edc73f37fd8.jpg

10 minutes ago, TitanG said:

Gunmetal instead of black? I think that might work as an updated version of the original flying skate design.

Nah, I'd prefer black

14 minutes ago, TitanG said:

Why? Why did Greiss do that??

I guess since he's wearing a somewhat throwback design on his mask, he wanted to throw in a lost save style.

Bio-efficiency is a real thing.

Especially that late in the evening for a shootout.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I would say a tie in with the Seahawks might be better. I think the Super Sonics left for Oklahoma years ago. I could be wrong, as I am not much of a basketball fan.

2 minutes ago, Md30 said:

I would say a tie in with the Seahawks might be better. I think the Super Sonics left for Oklahoma years ago. I could be wrong, as I am not much of a basketball fan.

That is true, they did.

I just have a real hard time with neon green in hockey.

8 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Haha, true.

But when can we NOT ask that?

On most of the shots Lundqvist and Gibson face this season due to inept defensemen, and inept Randy Carlyle systems.

I wonder if Greiss will be the first goalie to give up a low shot while standing since 1980-something, lol?

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You're mad.

AR-170129674.thumb.jpg.0841116683f056ec4f0e8b472016c8df.jpg

For the love of god, NO. I remember after The Matrix came out, every young guy was obsessed with that color scheme. AIM profiles, websites, drawings of cars, signs, t-shirts, etc... I'm glad it died a hard death. 

Or

image.png.a5083f48ffea9d66ee4ec2f9d0e2668a.png

From an aesthetic, artistic point of view I agree it looks amazing.  Those colors just work in great complimentary harmony.

There's just something about the context of hockey......it's an eye sore for me.

I'm a beer lover and appreciate good beer.  I definitively do not like sour beer.

I'll taste a good one and say "wow, that's really good.  I don't like it, but it's good."

That kinda sums it up for me.

That said, come early December once the B.O.G. votes on Seattle, if those colors are reveled with a name I am going to scream and cry in joy and put a deposit on a jersey, shirt, and hat immediately and jump up and down like a kid.

And then I'll cry because my navy blue, baby blue, and white gear is going to look like puke in those jerseys, ha.

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

That Seattle thread devolved into "Durr, buncha gawdamned librul hipster snowflakes in Seattle!!!1" pretty quickly. I stopped checking in.

I think I heard that the orca motif was more or less imposed by Orca Bay Entertainment, the company that owns the Canucks and Rogers Arena. But a cursory glance at their Wikipedia page says they've changed their name.

Archived