When to Make the Investment in Pro Gear

Max27

so ive been playing goalie for about a year and a half and i know i am sticking with it without any doubt.

when would a good time to not use mid level-entry level gear, and make the jump to pro be?

im only talking about leg pads, gloves, and masks, for what its worth. i already have a high end c&a and my pants are fine.

i heard from tomy ames (goaliecreasenet) in a video that he started at 13-14 and got custom gear from when he was 15-present.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on a few things

• How often can you (and/or your parents) afford new gear?  Are you comfortable with buying a new set and off-setting that cost with selling the old set etc.
  • Related to that point, would you consider a Passau, Kenesky type company for basically Pro level gear at a lower price?
  • Have you had a major growth spurt yet?  How long will the new set still fit you?
  • What level are you playing against? 
  • How often are you playing?

Not sure if you're considering the Senior level gear (Bauer S29, CCM P2.9 etc.) as "mid level-entry level" gear.  I would put those a step above what I consider mid or entry level gear.  

As far as Pro level gear, at least wait until you're done or mostly done growing.  Even at higher level junior/high school levels, the Senior level gear should be fine if you're just going to grow out of it in a year.

I'm also not necessarily asking you to provide all that info.  Just for examples.  If you are super rich, go nuts, get new stuff every year.  If you're playing 3-4 times/week, even if it's not elite level shooters, the senior stuff will still break down faster than the pro stuff.  

I didn't hit my growth spurt until like 16.  I also don't play against elite level shooters, at best Beer League A division which sometimes gets an AHL'er or two in the summer.  But I know that the pro stuff I invested in *should* last me at least as long as my first pro set, which was 7 years and only replaced because of shiny new things.

Honestly it is more to do with investment in durability than anything else. 

It is a common misunderstanding that custom gear is more expensive than stock-- it isn't, unless you are dramatically changing the design of the build. If you are customizing just colors and size it costs no more than stock, you just have to wait.

Pro level gear costs more than entry level gear and will last longer, so once you move up and are playing more it is a justified investment.

I've been using my old bauer One60 set for 8 years, and Vaughn epic 8404 chesty since grade 9 (about 8 years). Only reasons I don't have any of the gear now (except the blocker),was a change of level of play/ gear deterioration. Im not in house league anymore and play C Level beer league where people know how to skate

29 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Depends on a few things

• How often can you (and/or your parents) afford new gear?  Are you comfortable with buying a new set and off-setting that cost with selling the old set etc.
  • Related to that point, would you consider a Passau, Kenesky type company for basically Pro level gear at a lower price?
  • Have you had a major growth spurt yet?  How long will the new set still fit you?
  • What level are you playing against? 
  • How often are you playing?

Not sure if you're considering the Senior level gear (Bauer S29, CCM P2.9 etc.) as "mid level-entry level" gear.  I would put those a step above what I consider mid or entry level gear.  

As far as Pro level gear, at least wait until you're done or mostly done growing.  Even at higher level junior/high school levels, the Senior level gear should be fine if you're just going to grow out of it in a year.

I'm also not necessarily asking you to provide all that info.  Just for examples.  If you are super rich, go nuts, get new stuff every year.  If you're playing 3-4 times/week, even if it's not elite level shooters, the senior stuff will still break down faster than the pro stuff.  

I didn't hit my growth spurt until like 16.  I also don't play against elite level shooters, at best Beer League A division which sometimes gets an AHL'er or two in the summer.  But I know that the pro stuff I invested in *should* last me at least as long as my first pro set, which was 7 years and only replaced because of shiny new things.

im 15, and i hit my growth spurt already. Im like 6´2 165-75 but i think its safe to say im done with growth. 

I can pay for the gear, I am getting a job soon, and I get a lot of money for Christmas and Birthday from grandparents which helps a lot. 

as far as outgrowing it, i use a 34 + 1 and im gonna go up to a Large in 1x once the 2x line comes out, and the 1x line goes on clearance prices.

ive been using 760s and i find they have awful seal, and are too flexible for me, so im gonna go to a more rigid, but still flexible pad in the vapors

You are 15?

You get what you pay for. Pro level gear is made with better materials, and will last longer, and can improve performance.

If you/your parents are willing to spend the extra $ - go for it. Resale for pro level gear is also better if you do grow.

From what you just posted above - go for it. Seems like you answered your own question.

It depends on what the difference is between senior and pro gear is...

Brian’s claims 75% or more of the materials are identical between the high senior and domestic pad.

I have used top end and high senior and the catch glove is the place I feel is lacking when going down a grade. Brian’s is supposed to be very good in senior catch gloves; I have no experience there. Senior high end blockers are fine as are leg pads.

3 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

It depends on what the difference is between senior and pro gear is...

Brian’s claims 75% or more of the materials are identical between the high senior and domestic pad.

I have used top end and high senior and the catch glove is the place I feel is lacking when going down a grade. Brian’s is supposed to be very good in senior catch gloves; I have no experience there. Senior high end blockers are fine as are leg pads.

Chest protectors too usually have a big gap between SR and Pro

3 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Agreed with above.

I've used both, the catcher is the only one that would be preferable to be Pro level. Blockers and Leg pads are more than adequate at the top Senior level (X900, S190, etc).

Hell, didn't one of the Swiss Female goalies use SR level Brians gear last olympics?

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

Chest protectors too usually have a big gap between SR and Pro

Absolutely.

Usually the first three areas you want pro level gear are: Head, C/A and glove.

It's a bit different with everyone's needs, and also the gear manufacturer as well. (IE: Warrior's SR blockers are just as protective as Pro, but pro's are a bit lighter and has composite materials in them, but the SR gloves have less palm padding VS Pro version, etc)

THere's a bit of research that will need to go into it but like everyone else said, if you're still growing, then wait until you're full size before investing in pro gear.

39 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Agreed with above.

I've used both, the catcher is the only one that would be preferable to be Pro level. Blockers and Leg pads are more than adequate at the top Senior level (X900, S190, etc).

Hell, didn't one of the Swiss Female goalies use SR level Brians gear last olympics?

Absolutely.

Usually the first three areas you want pro level gear are: Head, C/A and glove.

her name is florence shelling i think.

it was sr ccm pads i think

32 minutes ago, ruckus007 said:

It's a bit different with everyone's needs, and also the gear manufacturer as well. (IE: Warrior's SR blockers are just as protective as Pro, but pro's are a bit lighter and has composite materials in them, but the SR gloves have less palm padding VS Pro version, etc)

THere's a bit of research that will need to go into it but like everyone else said, if you're still growing, then wait until you're full size before investing in pro gear.

i think i am prob as big as ill get, like i said im about 6´2 175 ish

If you want to go custom or invest in Pro gear, definitely wait until you've stopped growing. If you're 15, maybe wait another year until you go for a new set just to make sure. At 16, you should be fully grown. If you plan to go the custom route, you definitely want to make sure they'll fit you for years to come, instead of spending all of that money on something you could potentially still grow out of. Depending on where you knee is in the knee stack, an inch or two could make a big difference if you end up growing a little bit more. 

25 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

If you want to go custom or invest in Pro gear, definitely wait until you've stopped growing. If you're 15, maybe wait another year until you go for a new set just to make sure. At 16, you should be fully grown. If you plan to go the custom route, you definitely want to make sure they'll fit you for years to come, instead of spending all of that money on something you could potentially still grow out of. Depending on where you knee is in the knee stack, an inch or two could make a big difference if you end up growing a little bit more. 

i dont want custom, as i said i will get the 1x once the 2x comes out so it is a lot cheaper

12 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

To add to what others are saying about another growth spurt: I knew a guy that grew another 3” at the age of 19. So you could grow more.

i had my growth spurt this year, going from maybe 5´9 at the beginning of this year to 6´2 now

11 minutes ago, goalie said:

Don't listen to all these downers. If you want some nice gear go for it. Less money to spend on drugs!

i dont do drugs to begin w lol

12 minutes ago, goalie said:

you can get 1x pads now for 900-1000 CAD

The Goalie Crease has some new and demos

im in ny so i cant demo from tgc but i looked on their website and it didnt have a price, but it said x900s for 1000 canadian

Archived