Coming Back From Retirement

RazoRay37

I miss the game. Plain and simple. 

I loved the game. I still love the game. I love the position more

I had the privilege to play competitively, then I had the pleasure to play in Beer Leagues with old guys and that was a very enjoyable. I didn't care how, when, or where I played, as long as I played. But (and there's always a big hairy but lurking in the corner), I stopped. The usual--life got in the way. I started a new career, major events magically unfolded, making it too much to juggle, and by process of elimination hockey had to go. I sold my gear and moved on. I thought, "It'll be O.K., I'll live vicariously through my favorite pros. No problem." Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I missed the game and couldn't stand watching it, listening to it, or even reading about it. I was going crazy knowing that I couldn't play. The truth was that I thought about it every. single. day. I couldn't escape it. Wherever I was, whether at work, at home--or in the damn car; I would mime glove saves, blocker saves, and kick saves in between dull moments. Smiling. Then I would slip into a spiral of self-loathing knowing I was responsible for quitting. I think that's what drove me nuts. It's like an alcoholic who knows they can't have that first drink. They think about it, salivate over it, and absolutely lose it. Now, that may be a bit melodramatic, but it's what I felt--feel. Oh well, c'est la vie, as they say. 

Well, things are much more manageable today than before, and there's the possibility I may be able to reintroduce hockey back into my life again. The lovely lady in my life is very supportive and is encouraging me to get back into the game. Those words of encouragement have washed relief over me in an awesome wave. I want back. I need back in the net. 

I came from the time of the GSBB. It was a fantastic place where I learned a lot about the position. I learned about gear, I learned about how to modify my gear, I learned how to improve my game. It was an amazing resource for a crazy, obsessive person such as myself. It's sad to see that place no longer having the activity it once did. I do blame it on the weird overhaul the site had. I don't know why it happened, I don't really care to know at this point.

Alright, let me get on with it. The main reason for my post. So, I'm starting to do some research on gear and since I've been away for awhile, I've noticed that much has changed, to me, at least. Pads no longer have straps anymore, skates have no cowlings and look more like player skates, and boot straps are a thing of the past. I'd love some input on what gear is like today. 

My history of goalie gear is as follows:

Pads: RBK X-Pulse Pros (pre Larceny model--butterfly style), Smith SP 5000s', CCM Vector's Pros, and Battrams--I don't remember the model, but they were the clone of Vaughn Velocity 2 or 3s. I can't remember. 

Pants - RBK Premier 1s, RBK Premier 2s (UCONN Pro Returns), and CCM Vector V-Pros. 

C&A: Vaughn Velocity 2 (DiPietro Pro Return), Koho 590 (CuJo Pro Return from time in PHX), Koho 570, and CCM Heaton 5 clone (Olaf Kolzig Pro Return). I also think I owned the original RBK P1 C&A Bumble-bee model. 

Skates: Koho 590s (Jonas Hiller Pro Returns). 

Mask: Shawn Schroeder Custom Made Mask (old cats from the GSBB will remember who he is). 

My style of play is hard to say at this point. But, I would say I was more "traditional" for lack of a better word. Perhaps, Hybrid, but everyone says that. I am familiar with the butterfly style circa from the early-mid 2000s. I definitely adapted and I was pretty current then. Occasionally, I would make reactive saves that were habit, but not purposefully. They're were just fun saves to make and they would draw a nice reaction from the bench. Sliding while in the butterfly was something I did not adapt well to and I relied mostly on staying on my feet as much as possible. I'm not too familiar with the RVH deal against the post, I would stand against the post sealed up, glove low and blocker high covering the top inside corner, and only going down, if necessary. I think most will get the gist of what I'm going for here. 

Reading over this makes me feel archaic. I would assume that most of the technology in all of this gear is dead, plus that style of play is probably dead. Which is why I definitely would love and appreciate some direction in making my way back in net.

Looking forward to hear what you guys have to say. I'm glad to be apart of another goalie community again. It's nice. 

Welcome back! 

Sounds like a first step would be to find some gear on the cheap, any gear, and figure out how you move on the ice now. 

Are you gifted with gumby hips, or a connoisseur of the Giggy-fly, or still make throwback skate saves?  Plenty of goalies here still swear by cowlings, and once you do figure out what you do need, there are plenty of shops that will build exactly that. 

Good luck with the journey! 

We do use player skates now- they're faster, leg pads are actually big blockers that weigh roughly 6 oz. each and somehow magically just stay on your legs (some have magnets!!),  sticks are made of feathers and have spines now rather than a solid core and they literally fly away on every shot they take, blockers no longer make waffles but are balanced....so......,catch gloves have more angles to choose from than a geometry quiz, chest pads are more like a nice fleece shirt, masks are now made of spaceships, and pants are now, well, pants.

Oh, and every piece of everything is now made of velcro and elastic. 

Not much has changed,  if you really think about it.

6 minutes ago, seagoal said:

We do use player skates now- they're faster, leg pads are actually big blockers that weigh roughly 6 oz. each and somehow magically just stay on your legs (some have magnets!!),  sticks are made of feathers and have spines now rather than a solid core and they literally fly away on every shot they take, blockers no longer make waffles but are balanced....so......,catch gloves have more angles to choose from than a geometry quiz, chest pads are more like a nice fleece shirt, masks are now made of spaceships, and pants are now, well, pants.

lmao "and pants are now, well, pants"

Welcome back man!   It's not really all THAT different at the end of the day.  There are still skates out there with cowlings on them, guys like Vaughn and CCM are still making soft, flexy pads that won't feel completely unfamiliar to you, and Gary Bettman isn't allowing players to fire pucks at us with shotguns (yet, although if scoring doesn't go up that may be the next step).   As someone who took several years off and made a comeback about 6 years ago I understand the journey you're about to undertake.  Enjoy it, the minor frustrations will be far outweighed by the enjoyment of getting back on the ice. 

Great post, loved reading through it. 

Best of luck in your journey back to the ice! (please update us all on your way, I would love to hear how things are going as you get started here) - gear pickups, technical stuff, etc, etc. 

Getting the new gear will be the fun part, but the physically demanding return to the ice will be a little rougher I would imagine. Keep your head up and remember that you will get back into respectable "game shape" eventually. :) 

From one resurrected goalie to another, welcome back. I just resumed playing 7 months ago after a 22 year hiatus. Don't get too bogged down by the new equipment and all of the silly buzz words attached to it like I have. They'll tell you that you NEED the "Super-No-Flex-Mega Slide" padding of XXX brand, and by mid-year there will be "Super No-Flex-Mega-Slide Padding II" out. The NHL greats will all have the latest and greatest, but their numbers oldly don't improve 😁. Go with your gut, what feels good and what makes sense to you, because really, that's the only soul you need to impress at this point!

I'm still not convinced the RVH is the one stop shop for tight angles myself. I keep seeing NHL guys get beat over the shoulder and pucks squeaking through the Swiss Cheese bits,  again, do what works for you to keep the puck out. You'll add to your repertoire along this grand journey.  

Have a blast with it!

2 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Welcome back! 

Sounds like a first step would be to find some gear on the cheap, any gear, and figure out how you move on the ice now. 

Are you gifted with gumby hips, or a connoisseur of the Giggy-fly, or still make throwback skate saves?  Plenty of goalies here still swear by cowlings, and once you do figure out what you do need, there are plenty of shops that will build exactly that. 

Good luck with the journey! 

Thank you! I'm really glad to be apart of this new community! 

Since I started researching I've been browsing eBay looking to see if there are any deals. It appears that most sellers on eBay have wised up on what a Goalie will be willing to pay for gear. A lot of gear is really over priced! I think I saw a pair of RBK P2s going for close to $500 bucks. Insane that pads that are 10 years old could draw that type of mark up, especially for a used pair!

Gifted? I think not. I haven't stretched in god knows when. I'd say that I used to have a decent amount of flare in my butterfly, obviously those days are over. But, I've been leaning toward embracing the Giggy-fly to better preserve my hips.

Any recommendations for drills? Any suggestions on gear to be looking at?

I appreciate it! I definitely hope luck is in my favor!

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Well, this is definitely a heck of a time to be playing the position! That's exciting stuff. Magnets? Whatever do you mean?

I have no clue how leg pads stay on legs anymore! Wouldn't they over rotate? Especially with no anchor in the boot? 

I have noticed that C&As look larger than before! Especially that new CCM Premier model. I like it. I like it a lot

Yea, you're right. Pants are probably just pants. I still like'em big and loose. Is that still an option? I know a more streamline look and feel is in style right now. 

I remember when the kids used to bash on companies for using velcro and elastic! That was viewed as cheap and unoriginal! How times have changed. 

I appreciate the support. I haven't been this excited in a long, long time. I tried to golf as a way to curb my enthusiasm to play the game again. Nah, didn't work. I would find myself trying to flick a golf ball like a puck. That's frowned upon in golf. Trust me. Dirty looks everywhere. 

P.S. What is sideline swap? Can someone get fleeced on that site? Is it protected? Very interested . . . I'll check it out!

20 minutes ago, RazoRay37 said:

Any recommendations for drills? 

Check out Maria Mountain at goalietrainingpro.com and also Instagram if you do that sort of thing. Off ice training galore and some stuff specifically to help with the hips

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

Welcome back man!   It's not really all THAT different at the end of the day.  There are still skates out there with cowlings on them, guys like Vaughn and CCM are still making soft, flexy pads that won't feel completely unfamiliar to you, and Gary Bettman isn't allowing players to fire pucks at us with shotguns (yet, although if scoring doesn't go up that may be the next step).   As someone who took several years off and made a comeback about 6 years ago I understand the journey you're about to undertake.  Enjoy it, the minor frustrations will be far outweighed by the enjoyment of getting back on the ice. 

Puckstopper, thank you!! I'm glad to start working my way back. I'm sure there are going to be some struggles coming back, no doubt about it. It's comforting to know that manufactures still make gear for people who prefer a more traditional feel. A lot of the stuff out today is very intimidating, but also very cool. Goalie gear has definitely come a long way!

1 hour ago, creasecollector said:

Great post, loved reading through it. 

Best of luck in your journey back to the ice! (please update us all on your way, I would love to hear how things are going as you get started here) - gear pickups, technical stuff, etc, etc. 

Getting the new gear will be the fun part, but the physically demanding return to the ice will be a little rougher I would imagine. Keep your head up and remember that you will get back into respectable "game shape" eventually. :) 

Thanks! I had to get it out. I couldn't take it anymore! 😂

I will definitely provide updates throughout my journey back! I'll probably chronicle it in this thread! I appreciate the positivity! 

Admittedly, I am excited to start shopping for gear. The possibilities, the day dreaming of making saves in that gear. Positively rhapsodic. 

I imagine I will be winded just putting the gear on for the first time! Are us beer leaguers ever in "game shape"? I'd be happy with not passing out from a full three periods of play. 

1 minute ago, RazoRay37 said:

Thanks! I had to get it out. I couldn't take it anymore! 😂

I will definitely provide updates throughout my journey back! I'll probably chronicle it in this thread! I appreciate the positivity! 

Admittedly, I am excited to start shopping for gear. The possibilities, the day dreaming of making saves in that gear. Positively rhapsodic. 

I imagine I will be winded just putting the gear on for the first time! Are us beer leaguers ever in "game shape"? I'd be happy with not passing out from a full three periods of play. 

Perfect! Can't wait!

And looking at the gear you previously owned, I don't think the adjustment will be too bad with the new gear out now. If you have a hockey store near you, I would check out what they have in stock. It might not be everything, but at least you could try some stuff on to get some sort of a "feel" with the newer gear and help narrow down the size that you would need to help the gear fit properly. 

1 hour ago, aircanuck said:

From one resurrected goalie to another, welcome back. I just resumed playing 7 months ago after a 22 year hiatus. Don't get too bogged down by the new equipment and all of the silly buzz words attached to it like I have. They'll tell you that you NEED the "Super-No-Flex-Mega Slide" padding of XXX brand, and by mid-year there will be "Super No-Flex-Mega-Slide Padding II" out. The NHL greats will all have the latest and greatest, but their numbers oldly don't improve 😁. Go with your gut, what feels good and what makes sense to you, because really, that's the only soul you need to impress at this point!

I'm still not convinced the RVH is the one stop shop for tight angles myself. I keep seeing NHL guys get beat over the shoulder and pucks squeaking through the Swiss Cheese bits,  again, do what works for you to keep the puck out. You'll add to your repertoire along this grand journey.  

Have a blast with it!

aircanuck! Thank you, sir! Holy crap, back from 22 years?! How was the adjustment period for that? 

I do agree that numbers and GAAs don't go down based on have all the fancy bells and whistles! I have no idea how that is any better than leaning against the post using your entire body, but I supposed it leaves you susceptible if a pass comes across the crease. I have seen a lot of NHL Goalie getting burnt top cheese. I'd say snipers have figured it out. 

I can't wait to get back out there! 

3 hours ago, RazoRay37 said:

Well, this is definitely a heck of a time to be playing the position! That's exciting stuff. Magnets? Whatever do you mean?

I have no clue how leg pads stay on legs anymore! Wouldn't they over rotate? Especially with no anchor in the boot? 

I have noticed that C&As look larger than before! Especially that new CCM Premier model. I like it. I like it a lot

Yea, you're right. Pants are probably just pants. I still like'em big and loose. Is that still an option? I know a more streamline look and feel is in style right now. 

I remember when the kids used to bash on companies for using velcro and elastic! That was viewed as cheap and unoriginal! How times have changed. 

I appreciate the support. I haven't been this excited in a long, long time. I tried to golf as a way to curb my enthusiasm to play the game again. Nah, didn't work. I would find myself trying to flick a golf ball like a puck. That's frowned upon in golf. Trust me. Dirty looks everywhere. 

P.S. What is sideline swap? Can someone get fleeced on that site? Is it protected? Very interested . . . I'll check it out!

Cheers.  It's awesome you joined here and are eager to play again.

A lot of us on here use some version of a bungee chord for toe ties/skate anchors and while it keeps things snug, it stretches when needed to prevent hip/knee strain. I'm only 4 skates into mine and this website,  mainly @coopaloop1234 and @SaveByRichter35 are the only reason I switched from skate laces. These bungee chords have in turn allowed many to ditch boot straps which I haven't done yet because my current ones are elastic and stretchy.  Still mixing that Kool Aid before I drink ;)

Yes, magnets.  Modern Vaughn pads use magnetic clips now that are attached to elastic straps.  The elastic straps of course cut down on weight and the magnetic clips are more durable than plastic clips.

There's a strap now called the "Professor Strap" (named after Ben Scrivens) that straps tightly across the top of the calf while the rest of the pad is kept super loose.  This strap keeps the goalie connected to the pad and the pad more responsive to movements.  Many pads other than Vaughn have this strap now.   The Professor Strap on Vaughn's SLR pads have the magnetic clip. --> see pic on white pads

On Vaughn's current Velocity pad, the VE8, there is a Professor strap but no magnetic clip.  It attches with velcro.  But, the calf straps on these are elastic and the clips are magnetic tabs that lock in place phyically and magnetically --> see pics on blue pads

Basically, some time ago goalies decided pads were too heavy and took too much time to put on and take off.  So, a lot of the current strapping (at least if marketing is truthful) addressed those concerns.  And it's very true: VE8 pads, for example, are super light weight and go on and off in a flash, especially without skate lace toe ties.

By the way, if it seems like I am making fun of Vaughn at all, I sorta am, but you should know I'm one the most avid Vaughn users and ethusiasts on this site.  There's not many of us, but we're here   The blue pads in the pics are mine. 

Sideline swap is an online market for used gear and they have a fantastic hockey section generally and goalie section, specifically. I've made many purchases on it and sold a thing or two.  They have a great safety net:  as a buyer you pay the website, not the seller.  The seller then has to ship you the gear and you have to explicitly accept or reject it.  Once you accept it, the website then releases the $$ to the seller, minus their cut.  If you reject it, you return the gear to seller and you get refunded. Buyer always pays shipping.  It's pretty awesome. 

20181115_112758.jpg

20181115_173843.jpg

20181211_232702.jpg

7 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Check out Maria Mountain at goalietrainingpro.com and also Instagram if you do that sort of thing. Off ice training galore and some stuff specifically to help with the hips

This.  At a minimum do her butterfly challenge.  Even if you don't butterfly much, it's a great hip flexibility and mobilization program.  She's the best.  She's on facebook as well (if you do the facebook.  Check out goalie training lab.  Ton of free content, including the aforementioned butterfly challenge.

welcome back, 

im a time served gsbb member too, 

second sideline swaps theres some great stuff, 

modern pads tend not to be too giggy fly ish so perhaps look at some used brians gnetik2 with double break, they make solid stuff, for mobile protective cheap ca look at mckenny, i still rock one to today, love it. pants theres loads of pro return ccm(rbk) pants again cheap and super protective

skates wise getting a pair of the cowlingless bauers will be the best thing you ever do

13 hours ago, RazoRay37 said:

aircanuck! Thank you, sir! Holy crap, back from 22 years?! How was the adjustment period for that? 

I do agree that numbers and GAAs don't go down based on have all the fancy bells and whistles! I have no idea how that is any better than leaning against the post using your entire body, but I supposed it leaves you susceptible if a pass comes across the crease. I have seen a lot of NHL Goalie getting burnt top cheese. I'd say snipers have figured it out. 

I can't wait to get back out there! 

Definitely get into the Maria Mountain stuff, she is a game changer. Coming back was a blast for me, but for the first 4-5 months I was in agony with the groin and other items. I couldn't take it easy, I had to kick at every shot, played too much, but survived. Luckily I had two great physiotherapy folks (one I am married too!) to guide me along. This is a great resource to get advice from and I am grateful to have everyone's guidance along the way. They even reunited me with the gentleman who made my mask, which has been the highlight of my return. Is Shawn Schroeder still poking around out there? Keep us posted how things are going, I'm interested to hear about your journey. 

All the best!

I'm about 8 years back after a 30+year layoff, equipment changes took a lot of adjustment for sure, however, being out for so long I didn't have a fall back style that needed adjustment with the new pads. it was kind of like starting from scratch. Lot's of good info around here. But the job doesn't change , stop the puck.

Archived