Bauer Speed Plate 2.0

Mroy31

Picked up some 2.0 Speed Plates to put in my new skates this week. Haven't used them yet so I'll just start by listing the main differences I can see. I used the original version for like 6-8 months or so. 

20181227_184938.thumb.jpg.acb355fb464982663611f7a8185b42f1.jpg

The fabric material now includes a thin layer of LD memory foam. It doesn't feel thick enough to give you an overly cushy feeling, but definitely softer feeling than the old ones. It also shouldn't be thick enough to really affect energy transfer, which would kind of defeat the purpose of the insoles. I didn't have an issue with comfort in the old ones since the heat forming around your foot seemed to offset their hardness.

20181227_185004.thumb.jpg.68e489eb845b4e6139156fb4a7c1e0f5.jpg

The main material feels a bit more substantial, not like night and day or anything, but doesn't quite feel like a thin plastic sheet. Don't know if it's actually any kind of comp material or they just put a weave pattern on it. Had them throw out the packaging in store so I'll have to google the materials. I didn't have an issue with the old ones cracking, but I think this change was to address durability. Also apparently the PHL guy gave me one size too big as the old ones are size 10 and the new ones are size 9 like they should be. 

20181227_185104.thumb.jpg.3cb24dbac12a04de5ba862afad421498.jpg

There isn't a heel cup on the new model. I don't know that the original version was intended to have a truly functional heel cup like how superfeet stabilizes your heelpad, it just kind of looked like they decided to wrap the material around the heel. (Thought I had while writing this. Maybe this is because they are a full size too big for my skates? Not sure.) 

Will post an update after a few skates. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@TheGoalNet Very nice!

This is probably a good time to post an update. About 6 or so skates in with these and I don't notice them at all, in the best way. The old version were comfortable, but you could still kind of feel the minimalism of them. 

These ones feel a little more like part of the skate. 

4 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

@TheGoalNet Very nice!

This is probably a good time to post an update. About 6 or so skates in with these and I don't notice them at all, in the best way. The old version were comfortable, but you could still kind of feel the minimalism of them. 

These ones feel a little more like part of the skate. 

Felt this after 1 skate 😂 

It’s a shame Bauer doesn’t include these free with 2S Pro

drastically improves the fit, lock, and connection of the skates. I know True owners rave about the lock, I’m guessing it’s s feel somewhat like this 

6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Felt this after 1 skate 😂 

It’s a shame Bauer doesn’t include these free with 2S Pro

drastically improves the fit, lock, and connection of the skates. I know True owners rave about the lock, I’m guessing it’s s feel somewhat like this 

I'm honestly considering these for both my Trues and my Bauers!  Still can't get used to the True skate, maybe this will help!

59 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

I'll have to keep an eye out for these.   I just had my 1S skates punched in the forefoot area and while they're way more comfy they're also slightly loose in the arch now.  Seems like these might fill that gap nicely.  

This are also lower profile standard inserts. I believe your foot will sit a tad deeper in the skate

All, Bauer saw of the chatter of the this topic and wanted to give me a heads up...

Speed Plates were NOT designed for goalies. That is not to say they cannot be used, but they found mixed fit results when testing these in goalie skates. Some people loved them and some did not.

Based on the shape and volume of your foot, the arch might be too much and could interfere with your foot and tongue.

As you you can tell, many of us love them... but if you don't have high arches, you might not like these

On 1/15/2019 at 10:30 AM, TheGoalNet said:

All, Bauer saw of the chatter of the this topic and wanted to give me a heads up...

Speed Plates were NOT designed for goalies. That is not to say they cannot be used, but they found mixed fit results when testing these in goalie skates. Some people loved them and some did not.

Based on the shape and volume of your foot, the arch might be too much and could interfere with your foot and tongue.

As you you can tell, many of us love them... but if you don't have high arches, you might not like these

Can confirm that I have normal/high arches that just tend to flatten out when standing, so that would fit with their assessment.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Awesome to know!  I definitely DON'T have high arches. My feet are more like elephant feet, wide and flat.  Guess I'll just have to get used to the new (overall much better) feel of my skates and dream of being willing to spend the money for custom. 

15 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Awesome to know!  I definitely DON'T have high arches. My feet are more like elephant feet, wide and flat.  Guess I'll just have to get used to the new (overall much better) feel of my skates and dream of being willing to spend the money for custom. 

There's a lot of 3D printed orthotics available now. You get a foot scan, the print an insole, and you have it within a couple weeks. They will probably cost around $100-$150 but they will aid with any foot pain for sure

• 2 years later...