Brian's Custom Order Question(s)...

mckinneymagnum

About to pull the trigger on ordering my very first full custom set from Brian's. Been using their SubZero 6.0 with SZII Catch and Block for about a year or so now and love them, but ready to get a set of OPTIKs now.

I'm not planning on making any major changes to the pads but only get the colors I want, skate lace pocket and maybe the cool Brian's eyes added to the glove, so my first question is would it be safe to order these over the phone/email through someone like The Goalie Crease? I hear GREAT things about them, but I live down in the Dallas, TX area and I could easily head to GoalieMonkey and order in person.

Anyone has experience or suggestions on either ordering in person (GoalieMonkey Dallas) or calling up the TGC and placing the order through them?

Finally, thinking the CAD to USD exchange rate might be good enough for it to make sense to place the order with TGC.

Just wanted to get the input from all you gear fanatics out there!

1 hour ago, mckinneymagnum said:

but I live down in the Dallas, TX

You better come say "hi" to me or I will find you and say "hi" to you.

Pete at Monkey Sports is awesome to work with. Super friendly and maybe a little Warrior biased. While I have not ordered a custom set through them, I can only imagine the experience would be flawless. If you ask nicely they'll probably grab a set of Optiks to size you in person, something you can't always be too sure about over the internet.

5 minutes ago, mckinneymagnum said:

What is the approximate cost of a full custom set in Canadian? U.S. starts around $2600 or so for Optik Customs

You'll save approximately $300 USD just for the complete set.

Just keep in mind you're going to need to pay for shipping from ONT/BC to Texas. That includes custom fees as well.

So savings will diminish quite a bit from there. You'll still save money, but it won't be as massive as on initial review.

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You'll save approximately $300 USD just for the complete set.

Just keep in mind you're going to need to pay for shipping from ONT/BC to Texas. That includes custom fees as well.

So savings will diminish quite a bit from there. You'll still save money, but it won't be as massive as on initial review.

Good points there. Leaning toward staying local so I can get a better fitting and or try the right stock set on in person. Thanks!

Call Rance @TGC-Rance at the Goalie Crease... One of the best and most knowledgeable retail guys out there.  He's very straight forward and will help you get exactly what your looking for.  They also do a ton of custom Brians.. as a bonus they have had the best pricing on custom as well (My Warrior GT Pros were the lowest I could find thru them) 

Here is also something to toss around with making your decision.  You get the exchange rate "discount" by ordering in Canada.  However, as @coopaloop1234 says, that will diminish with shipping and customs fees.  With GM you have rebound rewards.  If you put in your order for your pads and a glove you can wait for the rebound rewards to be credited to you and they should almost pay for the full price of the blocker.  I did this with my current pads and glove.  You'd have to do the math to see which strategy saves you the most money though.  This is something I will contemplate if/when I place an order for my next set of gear.

Call the store in canada and talk to the store manager, ask the Canadian pricing ant ur credit card do the conversion. thats if  u r in the states and ur cc doesnt have intl fees and give best rates.  reason in talk to mgr is they can give u pricing that is not adverterisd on the internet that is lower to avoid the internet trolls that get mad for selling lower then Mfr advertised price.  Lets just say I got a custom pro set for 1500$ usd when they came out.  Lots of competition out there and stores need to pursch min amount of inventory for first order.  Need to move it somehow. I would never buy pads from GM too expensive once u add tax and no advantage of any cheaper.

shipping cost from TGC to the US is like $50 CAD and the savings is significantly more than what people in this thread are saying.  If you are comfortable figuring out sizing remotely then that is the only way to go.  If you prefer doing things in person then obviously GM is a good choice, definitely don't be a dick and have GM do all the work for you and then order from somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Snowman30 said:

Just trying to figure out how there is custom fees into the US ? Never heard of it before. Into Canada yeah as we get dinged with sales taxes and handling fees but last I knew there was nothing charged when  it went from Canada to US.

There's always brokerage fees lol. 

We thee or not they hide them in shipping fees doesn't matter. Everything crossing the border needs to be cleared. 

12 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

We thee or not they hide them in shipping fees doesn't matter. Everything crossing the border needs to be cleared.  

Are there brokerage fees even when the product is Canadian-made like Brian's?

Does anyone know if NAFTA is still around?

I recall I bought some Canadian-made Warrior G2s from Roddy of TGC back in 2016 and I was never hit with any customs/brokerage fees. Shipping was $49 CAD, which seemed very fair for leg pads from Ontario, Canada to California, USA. I don't know how any brokerage fees or duties would fit in that, unless it was literally a couple Canadian dollars...

Pads were shipped via Purolator, if it matters.

Yeah, trying to find an artist for my mask, recently, was tricky because most of the well-known, reputable artists are in Canada and shipping my mask both to and from Canada from Washington would have been very expensive, even if it was one or two provinces north. 

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

No there isn't, I have honestly never heard a single person from the US  getting charged any fees when it crosses the border. What kills us North of the border is the Canada's sales tax, as it supposed to be charge on anything that crossed the border. I don't beleive the US has one sales tax for the whole country ? The brokerage fees are charged to cover the paperwork and custom cleanace of your parcel once Canada customs and Canada revenve have it. I do know that shippers can't hide brokerages fees in the shipping costs, it has to shown seperate and also brokerages fees can not be charged by the person shipping them, it's up to the shipping company as to what the brokerage fee as they have a percentaged that gets charged once it's over a certain amount. Shippers have no clue what the rate/percentage is going to be as the companies don't tell them.

20 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

Just trying to figure out how there is custom fees into the US ? Never heard of it before. Into Canada yeah as we get dinged with sales taxes and handling fees but last I knew there was nothing charged when  it went from Canada to US.

no you won't get charged any fees from a retailer that ships from Canada to the US

On 2/28/2019 at 1:30 PM, seagoal said:

Yeah, trying to find an artist for my mask, recently, was tricky because most of the well-known, reputable artists are in Canada and shipping my mask both to and from Canada from Washington would have been very expensive, even if it was one or two provinces north. 

Washington state?  Idk how close you are to the border but if close why not just drive over and ship from inside Canada?

On 2/28/2019 at 10:30 AM, seagoal said:

Frank Cipra (in Toronto) did my mask last year, and I wasn't charged any customs/brokerage/etc fees.

If you wanna keep it in the US, I have a killer guy here in California that did my OTNY for me.

Ordered my optiks from tgc. Had them shipped to my brother in stl so he could fwd them to me in Germany (APO shipping restrictions was the reason for my brother) had great communication the whole time with Jay and Rance and any questions I had, just under a million I'm sure, they had the answer. When you order from Canada there is no sales tax either. I would do it again in a heart beat

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Frank Cipra (in Toronto) did my mask last year, and I wasn't charged any customs/brokerage/etc fees.

If you wanna keep it in the US, I have a killer guy here in California that did my OTNY for me.

Thanks Chenner.

My mask is in a shop right now in the US.  I should have it back within the next 2 weeks and I'll have a detailed post all about it.  

14 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Washington state?  Idk how close you are to the border but if close why not just drive over and ship from inside Canada?

Yeah, Washington state.  I didn't consider that as an option but I suppose it could work.  I'm about 2.5 hours from the border.  I just had a few artists in Canada say they've had several complications with US customers and having a mask sent back and forth.  It all worked out anyway.  My mask is in a US shop right now. 

On 3/4/2019 at 4:08 AM, seagoal said:

Yeah, Washington state.  I didn't consider that as an option but I suppose it could work.  I'm about 2.5 hours from the border.  I just had a few artists in Canada say they've had several complications with US customers and having a mask sent back and forth.  It all worked out anyway.  My mask is in a US shop right now. 

Glad it worked out.  I don't think a 2.5 hour drive would be worth it anyway.

Archived