Bauer Custom Graphics

Trav4oilers

2 hours ago, Trav4oilers said:

What are the thoughts on bauer custom graphics and has anybody come up with anything decent so far? I feel the simpler it is the better they turn out. Retro looks like hot shit (literal shit) . 

I'm in agreement there.  Pictures of pads should not printed on top of a pair of pads. It looks so fake, like cardboard paper.

11 hours ago, Trav4oilers said:

What are the thoughts on bauer custom graphics and has anybody come up with anything decent so far? I feel the simpler it is the better they turn out. Retro looks like hot shit (literal shit) . 

8 hours ago, seagoal said:

I'm in agreement there.  Pictures of pads should not printed on top of a pair of pads. It looks so fake, like cardboard paper.

I think the more complicated you make a retro graphic w/ shadowing etc. the more likely it is to go wrong. That said, it's easy to take a bad example and blow it up into a generalization. This picture of Anderson's set is from 2 years ago. While the style may not be your thing... below are some pics of a set made for Pure Hockey that show off how far the printing process has come and how much better it looks than before. 

IMG_1199.thumb.jpeg.de235d447eb3e4f27493a6047053a7f7.jpeg  IMG_1196.thumb.JPEG.dceb609baa698a3fd970f43995152b15.JPEG

To further this topic with actual firsthand experience...and some of my advice...

• While yes you can start w/ paper and pencil (pen) I would suggest you try and do a digital mock up in a vector type file (.ai, .eps, .pdf, .tif, or .jpeg (10+MB).) I enlisted the help of Vince Arnone (@thevincenzoarnone on IG) to get my design off to a good start. It allowed my first Bauer mock up to be much further along than a pen & paper version.

image.thumb.png.521f93fee83a72884c2470dc86f136b2.png

• Take a look existing sets and see what has worked and what hasn't. I pointed to a set they did for Tristan Lennox where the American flag was overlapped by welting to ensure the same didn't happen to my faux patches. So we adjusted placement to take manufacturing into account.
    • image.png.0f4e8816dde48b0973461874125baddd.png
  • Understand that there are some facets of the design Bauer will insist on. Example: Size and contrast of the Bauer logo. You can see from my first design that I actually had Bauer in the faux patch, but due to the need to have it be larger and have a certain contrast, keeping it in that wasn't an option, so I changed it up.
  • Understand that there are some functional aspects of the equipment that Bauer is very specific about what they will/won't do, even on Pro Custom. In fact it's an excel file that has some data validation on it to only allow you to select options appropriate to the line of equipment you are customizing. They've actually done a very good job about conveying that from the start, and haven't gone back on specs being offered.
  • Wait time. I finalized my order on 6/28. There was some literature Bauer put out to retailers a while back that stated Pro Custom orders would have some level of priority in manufacturing based on s shorter lead time. I won't know how true that is until I receive mine... but I don't anticipate wait time being any longer than other manufacturers being reported on the Custom Gear Wait Times thread linked below. 

image.thumb.png.53a618ecf5baec2e1299237f530e95c8.png

image.thumb.png.bffa64d63e21d36aac7b777ee96b1afb.png

I hear you.  I think that Spirit set-up looks amazing.  Done right logos could look great and almost any graphic would be great. 

Just personally, the picture of a pad on a pad doesn't work for me and I'm not a fan of the real life stuff I've seen so far on this gear.

I also really love the stock 2X graphic, especially the dimples.

23 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I hear you.  I think that Spirit set-up looks amazing.  Done right logos could look great and almost any graphic would be great. 

Just personally, the picture of a pad on a pad doesn't work for me and I'm not a fan of the real life stuff I've seen so far on this gear.

I also really love the stock 2X graphic, especially the dimples.

Gotta keep it simple. Making your own graphic seems like a good idea. Been playing around with a twist on this graphic for a bit. 

Gustafsson_2012_WJC.jpg

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

I wish the graphics in the "design bank" weren't subject to the $500 design fee Bauer is charging.  I was thinking of doing these in Black/White/Metallic Gold

Image result for nolan maier

Those are gorgeous.

That's a really good point.  It does seem peculiar the most minimal design would cost the same as a crazy complex design.

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Those are gorgeous.

That's a really good point.  It does seem peculiar the most minimal design would cost the same as a crazy complex design.

Mass Production > Custom Design.

While I'm sure the price variance between something intricate and something plain irks many of us, I get how Bauer would just slap on a general price tag and go from there.

33 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Those are gorgeous.

I spoke with a retailer who stated anything that is not stock is subject to the $500 fee.  This is also considered Bauer "True Custom" is $500 to add gold to the bottom color zone

image.png.b3030adb9cec96c0987ae3fb5b7dabe3.png

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Those are gorgeous.

You gotta pay off the R&D, and anything out of the norm requires new setup, even if no tooling changes. I understand why it seems peculiar, but it is what it is. 

Just now, bunnyman666 said:

You gotta pay off the R&D, and anything out of the norm requires new setup, even if no tooling changes. I understand why it seems peculiar, but it is what it is. 

Don't get me wrong, I get the justification for it.

There's just something undeniably logical about less stuff = less $...which is the case for say custom goalie masks.

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Don't get me wrong, I get the justification for it.

There's just something undeniably logical about less stuff = less $...which is the case for say custom goalie masks.

I agree... Like cut and sew... A pad like this:

image.png.cd10677ee1ee6626e219e4f7eef0d875.png

Should be far cheaper than a pad like this...

image.png.548aa9a95687c3a97b7f5a10e00761c0.png

17 minutes ago, Max27 said:

say i got a custom graphic from bauer, id definetley do a NXG style graphic

wall.png

Wow, the harmony of the colors head to toe is perfect .

The blocks on the mask chin are great.

Good call Max, that is a great graphic. 

On 7/2/2019 at 9:39 AM, BadAngle41 said:

To further this topic with actual firsthand experience...and some of my advice...

• While yes you can start w/ paper and pencil (pen) I would suggest you try and do a digital mock up in a vector type file (.ai, .eps, .pdf, .tif, or .jpeg (10+MB).) I enlisted the help of Vince Arnone (@thevincenzoarnone on IG) to get my design off to a good start. It allowed my first Bauer mock up to be much further along than a pen & paper version.

image.thumb.png.521f93fee83a72884c2470dc86f136b2.png

@BadAngle41 Nice choice with the Vapors. Which design did you end up going with? And no voting poll to force you into a graphic you don't personally love?!?! I feel very marginalized...

For what it's worth, #2 with the #1 cream sidewall would be amazing. Really dig the all black backing to the gloves too.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:00 AM, dstew29 said:

@BadAngle41 Nice choice with the Vapors. Which design did you end up going with? And no voting poll to force you into a graphic you don't personally love?!?! I feel very marginalized...

For what it's worth, #2 with the #1 cream sidewall would be amazing. Really dig the all black backing to the gloves too.

Ha. Did voting on another thread... but the 4 images you’re referencing are the process ones w/ Bauer. The cream sides were part of the original design but I went away from that. Instead I used the sand color on the faux patches. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, heyclaytay said:

Does anybody have a spec sheet or pdf of what all of the Pro Custom Options Bauer offes?

I posted a full .pdf at the end of the thread @Mroy31 mentioned along with Rev 2.0 of Bauer's Retail True Design Order Form. Threw a copy of the catalog on the Manufacturer Catalogs found on the right side when you click the Forums tab as well.

Just gives some better visual comparisons than the initial images referenced.

Archived