Shoulder stingers

A.YOUNGoalie13

4 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I have a senior pro chesty and I play high level U15 hockey and every single time I get hit in the shoulder it hurts like hell and I get a bruise. Any ideas for padding help? I tried a padded shirt and it did not help

Where on your shoulder? Are the pucks missing your floaters, or are you getting bruised straight through them?

(And you're wearing a Vaughn V7 senior XS pro, like your profile has listed?)

How long have you been wearing this unit? 

Senior models can be not so great over time. You next C/A I'd recommend any Pro level unit for maximum protection. 

In the meantime, I'd suggest modifying your current C/A to help with those shoulder bruises until you can afford to upgrade to a new chest protector.

Can you insert some foams under/over the shoulder area to help reduce the impact a little? 

I didn't NEED to Mod my C/A (the protection is amazing), I just did it for fun, but I used my old smaller RBK Premier 1 shoulder floaters and placed them under my current CCM AB Pro C/A and it works like a charm. 

40769496_294357448041741_289088060949873 40471495_909530455921087_359583247534549

39958817_330952524131820_723272427461098

8 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I have a senior pro chesty and I play high level U15 hockey and every single time I get hit in the shoulder it hurts like hell and I get a bruise. Any ideas for padding help? I tried a padded shirt and it did not help

Is any of the padding shifting? Are the shoulder floaters staying where they should be? I had an experience where I got a few shoulder stingers. I realized afterward that the shoulder floaters were moving outward exposing my shoulders with only soft padding left to protect me. It was due to old stretched out elastic that was no longer holding the shoulder floaters in place. I secured the floaters in place with a leg strap wrapped around the entire unit and it fixed the problem. 

48 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

@WillyGrips13 @CJ Boiss The chesty is only a few months old and I get the bruises through the floaters and it hits the top and front of my shoulder

Huh. Well, best thing to do is probably what creasecollector did with his chestie, and attach a second set of floaters underneath your current ones. And then go for a pro-spec unit (I think Vaughn's pro-spec are the "pro carbon" ones) next time you buy.

9 hours ago, creasecollector said:

How long have you been wearing this unit? 

Senior models can be not so great over time. You next C/A I'd recommend any Pro level unit for maximum protection. 

In the meantime, I'd suggest modifying your current C/A to help with those shoulder bruises until you can afford to upgrade to a new chest protector.

Can you insert some foams under/over the shoulder area to help reduce the impact a little? 

I didn't NEED to Mod my C/A (the protection is amazing), I just did it for fun, but I used my old smaller RBK Premier 1 shoulder floaters and placed them under my current CCM AB Pro C/A and it works like a charm. 

40769496_294357448041741_289088060949873 40471495_909530455921087_359583247534549

39958817_330952524131820_723272427461098

What foams would you recommend to put underneath/insert?

4 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

What foams would you recommend to put underneath/insert?

Well if you have a old chest protector laying around, I use that one for spare parts like I did. Honestly, any type of thin foam would work if you can find a way to fix it behind your current shoulder floaters to help deaden the impact of a puck in that area you're feeling it most. 

I've seen people use a cheap yoga mat, cut it up, and use that foam to insert on their C/A to help beef it up and it can work very well. I haven't tried it myself personally because I used my old Junior RBK P1 unit for parts, but it's defintely a good idea that can be done for cheap. You can also buy adhesive sticky velcro to help velcro the new pieces in place, or you can sew them to the shoulder floater elastics like I did. 

You could get a used or returned pro level chest protector for the price of a senior one. Or one of the older models - I know the CCM A/B Pro is still floating around in a couple sizes, and goaliemonkey has the original R\GT and CCM Premier 2017 model chest protectors on clearance. All of those are at prices comparable to current senior level models.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: haven’t taken a major shot to shoulder since adding the padding, but the main spot I’ve been getting hit has felt better on some that have skimmed the shoulder. I did get a bruise from one closer to my collar bone but the bruise wasn’t nearly as bad as some of the ones I’ve gotten in the past.

Archived