2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

Had a good twenty minute look at the store of the Optik line. (FLY) and (FLX) 

Pads look great, I'd definitely got the route of fly myself. There's a good amount of boot flex. FLX felt too squishy to me. But that's just my preference. 

But man, I just can't like Brian's gloves. They have always felt wierd to me. Glove is pretty neat and the BOA system is legit, but that blocker is probably the worst one on the market to me. It just feels awkward. 

Granted, I've never stuck with the a blocker is a blocker crowd. 

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@coopaloop1234 - Maybe a future poll should be what's more personal, a glove or a chesty...

I want to like a Vaughn, maybe the most loyal following in hockey, and I just can't get down with a T5500. Brian's to me is gold with CCM second 

I completely love people sharing their opinion, but it blows my mind a Brian's glove doesnt feel right. It's probably the only thing I support on Steve Mason!!! 

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I was trying it on at a Monkey store so, nothing bigger than that in the states.

My glove was butter the minute it came out of the box, and whatever break Brian's set is exactly what I like.  Maybe it is what was speculated previously, stock vs. custom.

@TheGoalNet - In addition to his gloves, I support that Mason is Full Right among a bunch of regulars ;)

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@coopaloop1234 - Maybe a future poll should be what's more personal, a glove or a chesty...

I want to like a Vaughn, maybe the most loyal following in hockey, and I just can't get down with a T5500. Brian's to me is gold with CCM second 

I completely love people sharing their opinion, but it blows my mind a Brian's glove doesnt feel right. It's probably the only thing I support on Steve Mason!!! 

@TheGoalNet I think the only thing I can fault a Brain's glove for is break line and that's total personal preference. I've only ever owned a SZ2 and while it was a great glove, I never could get used to the break line coming from being a long time 90 degree Lefevre user. 

Quick question for you too on the materials you chose on your Optiks... how have you found the matte red to hold up to puck marks compared to the traditional jenpro? Does it get marked up easier and come off with more difficulty?

After months now of waffling on colors, I finally pulled the trigger on a full Optik set from The Goalie Crease.

They had my exact preferred specs (33+1.5 FLX with 90 degree toe) in Bucky with black primo sliding surfaces (exactly what I wanted) so I decided to go for it and get instant satisfaction! 

Could not be more excited to try them out. Only downside is that assuming I am as happy with the Optiks as everyone else, I’ll be selling off quite a bit of my trial-and-error gear.

9 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

After months now of waffling on colors, I finally pulled the trigger on a full Optik set from The Goalie Crease.

They had my exact preferred specs (33+1.5 FLX with 90 degree toe) in Bucky with black primo sliding surfaces (exactly what I wanted) so I decided to go for it and get instant satisfaction! 

Could not be more excited to try them out. Only downside is that assuming I am as happy with the Optiks as everyone else, I’ll be selling off quite a bit of my trial-and-error gear.

Nice man!

On 1/10/2018 at 11:17 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Nice man!

First skate with the Optiks yesterday. It was a crowded stick-n-puck so did more skating/movement drills and only took a few shots. So far I am extremely happy both with the performance and, more importantly, style :)

Playing in a pickup game tomorrow and will post some more in depth first impressions then.

In the meantime, here’s a preview GIF that basically sums up how I spent the whole session...

03C6910C-A575-4025-AAC3-ECF2A3AE54C6.gif.619ee7c94321b44cd7cebb04084b7917.gif

9 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

First skate with the Optiks yesterday. It was a crowded stick-n-puck so did more skating/movement drills and only took a few shots. So far I am extremely happy both with the performance and, more importantly, style :)

Playing in a pickup game tomorrow and will post some more in depth first impressions then.

In the meantime, here’s a preview GIF that basically sums up how I spent the whole session...

So damn sexy! 

19 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Man I wish I could do that. 

48 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Punisher Goalie find OptiSlide to be faster or easier?

Planning to write more once I get more time in them, but definitely first impression is that Optislide is legit. Biggest thing that stood out to me - and I haven’t seen others discuss this much - was how stable they feel in sliding. I imagine this is tied to how flat and uniform the total sliding surface is compared to 1S. They are fast for sure, at least as fast as COR Tech, if not faster, but they also feel like sliding on rails. Very satisfied so far.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

@Punisher Goalie How about in comparison to the Warriors?

The Primo definitely slides faster than the Jenpro on my RGTs. Overall in-game performance I would need more time to comment. RGTs were great in the scrambles, perhaps because of how flexible they are and I would strap them pretty tight. So far I’ve basically just done drills in the Optiks.

3 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

The Primo definitely slides faster than the Jenpro on my RGTs. Overall in-game performance I would need more time to comment. RGTs were great in the scrambles, perhaps because of how flexible they are and I would strap them pretty tight. So far I’ve basically just done drills in the Optiks.

Figured as much.

You got the FLX core right? Those felt a hell of a lot softer in store than my broken in R/GT's.

3 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Elephant in the room... beautiful new Bimage.png.422f1c7c57c4de3a12a4d08bff542f3c.png setup and you have a Vaughn jersey on... I dunno man... i dunno. 

image.png.2a93ad3fbd66708ff207cbf22f6b82c7.png

Archived