2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The may just not have them on display.

While their site doesn't mention them and The Hockey Shop's site does mention they're included, when I picked up my warriors from THS, the knee pads weren't on display with the pads and were given to me after.

I'm going to assume it's the same practice.

I would hope that is the case.

I was worried about strapping, too. After playing around with my strapping, I undid the X pattern and have the straps going straight across. This allows me to get my pads nice and loose. I also removed the "Scrivens" strap.

IMAG2117.thumb.jpg.83dbde414c7d17b302fa2602016790a3.jpg

I also loosened the outer calf wedge elastic, as I found this was the main reason for how tight the pads were.IMAG2119.thumb.jpg.3cb2b3c0511f5717347f42fe4d9d5295.jpg

So if you like a looser fit, it can be done, so don't worry.

Hi guys!

it's time to change leg pads, in the last 2 seasons I had a pair of Reactor 6000 (custom 34+1), I tried the Gnetik3 size 34+1 but I just can't play (knee it's to high and other small things).. I'm thinking of buying the optik 33.5 +1

I am still undecided about the size and  if FLY or FLX..

thanks!

35 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Not with quality like that. There is something far more "substantial" feeling with the Brian's custom graphics over the Bauer printed ones.

Completely agree with you. I'll take stitched any day. Same for jerseys. I don't care if they weigh more. 

My only complaint with stitching is the unused color zones on stock graphics. The biggest place printing really shines is with a graphic like Pointer's where it's got a stealth detail. 

Most of the time, they are can achieve the same results. The orange pads are great example of this. 

24 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Agreed. The weight difference is unsubstantial anyways.

Plus, everyone knows that goaltending is 80% fashion. :datass:

It's pretty significant if you're comparing jersey weights, or more specifically it's the heat more so than the weight. But I will 100% take a hotter jersey to have something with embroidered crests. 

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

My only complaint with stitching is the unused color zones on stock graphics. The biggest place printing really shines is with a graphic like Pointer's where it's got a stealth detail. 

Most of the time, they are can achieve the same results. The orange pads are great example of this. 

@TheGoalNet I agree with your thought around unused color zones. Taking a simple graphic like these below on O'Connor and Darling, for some reason O'Connor has additional stitching (may just be for ornamentation) yet Darling has a single piece of Jenpro. I truly appreciate the craftsmanship behind the amazing custom work Brian's and other manufacturers do, but digital printing has nearly endless possibilities for intricate designs that laser cut Jenpro just can't match. 

Image result for matt o'connor hockey  Image result for scott darling

I have 5 games on my Optiks to this point and I love them!  The only strapping mod I have done is the removal of the Scrivens strap, otherwise they were set up perfectly.  I am going sew up an elastic boot strap because I think the webbing one is useless.  I am already thinking about selling some of my other sets just to get another color way.  I don't have any action shots, but here are a couple of lounging pics a buddy took last night.

26695292_10156233699460955_1686473067_o.jpg

26732347_200767860480782_987355419_o.jpg

On 21/12/2017 at 3:41 PM, Pauly35or00 said:

I want a lot more pictures, plus user impressions once you get them on the ice! Beautiful new set!

Time for some on-ice impressions! 

Here are the specs:

• After giving Brian's my measurements, I took a tape measure to the pads and they came out to 34.5", and I am 6 feet tall (dealer told me it would be 34"+1". I wasn't too worried, as it's only 1/2" difference. Fit is perfect)
  • 84 degree toe
  • double-T pocket on catcher

Before going on the ice:

Pads

Carpet flys for a day helped me get the strapping right, and helped me realize I didn't need the outer flap, the Scrivens strap, and the Smart Boot Straps. I changed the Smart Strap configuration from an X-pattern, to having the straps going straight across. This helped me get a looser fit (in the calf, not knee).

IMAG2138.thumb.jpg.f774a468bc46e35c9ed3cef7c37ba367.jpg

Smart Strap straight across, instead of the X pattern

Blocker

I remember people being concerned about the pad on the thumb of the blocker. When I was holding my stick, I did find it a little in the way, but not too bad. The great thing about it is you are able to adjust the position on the thumb. After moving it down 1/2", I felt MUCH more comfortable with it.

IMAG2136.thumb.jpg.332ac7aa80e20f03edab604278e51dec.jpg

Thumb pad before the adjustment

IMAG2137.thumb.jpg.207d5b76a769a186a2193c2a5f9a0d15.jpg

Thumb pad after the adjustment

Catcher

Barely any break-in required. This glove out of the box is butter, it truly is incredible. 

On the ice:

Pads

As stated by others, the sliding is incredible. I never tried out C.O.R. skin or SpeedSkin, so I'm just comparing this to my Brian's Focus set, which I had custom ordered in 2010. It was also my first time using the Smart Toe, which I really noticed and enjoyed in the middle of the game. I found that when I dropped to my knees and quickly sprang up, the pads would square up immediately, which gave it a very connected feel without putting stress on my hips. Rebounds boom of these pads, which was a question for me going with the FLX option. On that note: thoroughly satisfied! I'm also very happy with the FLX option, because they aren't TOO flexible, like you would expect with a traditional Vaughn. A solid pad, with the perfect amount of flex, especially below the knee.

Blocker

The blocker was very comfortable after the thumb pad adjustment, I really had no issues. The sidewall is fantastic, and pucks fly off the face. The wide open cuff allows maximum movement, and I found when I was reaching high for saves or extending, it was very easy to keep the blocking surface square.

Catcher

The double-T is an absolute vacuum. First game, I already had a few good windmills halfway through the game, and no pop-outs. No adjusting required in-game because of the BOA, absolutely love this system. Playing the puck is also easy with this glove, the floating cuff makes it easy and natural.

Overall:

I haven't found any glaring negatives yet, just the knee blocks are huge compared to my old pads, so I need to adjust to them a little more. Another thing I want to say about the Opti-Slide is that I found it extremely useful in scramble situations, they just seemed so effortless to scramble around in. Booming rebounds off the pads and blocker, and the catcher is a black hole (VERY happy with the double-T). In love with this set, and I'm sure many others will as well. The only people I can see not liking them are people that may be used to a traditional style pad, as this is quite the opposite (even though it is still quite flexy).

@beansbats - I second the blocker pad opinion. I don't see why everyone was freaked out by it! Once you get in the correct spot, it makes the blocker feel more plush and it's not noticeable

When I was doing my web vidoes, I couldn't understand why everyone in the comments was freaking out about it  

6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@beansbats - I second the blocker pad opinion. I don't see why everyone was freaked out by it! Once you get in the correct spot, it makes the blocker feel more plush and it's not noticeable

When I was doing my web vidoes, I couldn't understand why everyone in the comments was freaking out about it  

It's mostly because how it based off of pictures. I've seen it in person and it's not so bad, but for whatever reason, in pictures it looks huge and obtrusive.

Plus, it's new gear that looks amazing, the internet needs to find some sort of flaw. :P

7 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Maybe I had a shitty glove but I thought the glove was far from a broken in feeling.  Dammit, I wanted to like it so badly :crying:

That's too bad. My roommate received his CCM Retro Flex set a week before I did, and my game ready was WAY easier to close than his, and he even commented on how broken in it was. (he got the 600 break, which has a great feel to it, too)

I remember watching a review on the glove, and they said the same as you, so maybe there are inconsistencies for when the glove is being broken in at the factory? Are custom orders being broken in more than store orders?

Archived