2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, cwarnar said:

@Cruskater I’ve always been partial to the Heritage Line... I know Brian’s will skin Optik as well

A805C22D-5E46-43DF-BD29-22B00F22FC91.thumb.jpeg.f9564a1bf331c0cff666bfc4b1f8a521.jpeg

Thanks @cwarnar. I love the heritage. Didn't know if Brian's would skin it for Optik for a regular Joe. @TheGoalNet love those darling pads. I would contemplate the "V" in black...

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! Still mulling over the choices

19 minutes ago, Cruskater said:

Thanks @cwarnar. I love the heritage. Didn't know if Brian's would skin it for Optik for a regular Joe. @TheGoalNet love those darling pads. I would contemplate the "V" in black...

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! Still mulling over the choices

They will for sure.  2 guys on GGSU did it just recently.  Brian's is great for that kind of customization

6 hours ago, PAW the OX said:

Well these just came in today.

33+1

flx

90 degree boot, 

No boot strap and pro lace toe ties.

get to try them on the ice tomorrow night.

IMG_3039.JPG

@PAW the OX Those are gorgeous! Congrats. Love the texture contrast. 

Are those sub 2's sitting next to it? I have them now. Love to hear how the FLX compares to the break/flexibility in the old pads. I think I am going FLY to be closer to my sub 2's

Thank you,

Cruskate, sorry meant to quote you.

The performance of the pad pad is a cross between the genetic and sub zero for the flx. I would say for first impression I like a softer thigh board so having the performance of a butterfly pad with a bit more flex at the top is amazing, this will help with my weird desperation saves. I will update more once I get them out again.

the optik slide is great for 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 as it so much easier to get a cross the crease for the save.

Now compared to my sub zero 6.0 it is a much more flexibable pad. So if you like the stiffer thigh go with the fly, but I will say they are a huge improvement and I really like the 90 degree boot at it slams the pad down really nice.

if you have any more question let me know.

On 1/27/2018 at 11:33 AM, beansbats said:

This is the only pic I have of me in my Optiks.  I love them.

OldPuckersPhoto.jpg

@beansbats Do you have the smart toes? I got my Sub 2's with toe-ties but ditched them pretty quickly for the toe hook system (which was great except it pulled my pad so far down I was coming out of the top part of the knee stack). If the smart toe's don't have enough slack I might have to go up a size. 

13 minutes ago, Cruskater said:

@beansbats Do you have the smart toes? I got my Sub 2's with toe-ties but ditched them pretty quickly for the toe hook system (which was great except it pulled my pad so far down I was coming out of the top part of the knee stack). If the smart toe's don't have enough slack I might have to go up a size. 

I am currently using the Smart Toe straps, they are a great improvement over the gen1.  What size shoe do you wear?  I'm a 12, and have no problem with the Smart Toe length.  Having said that, I make my own HAL style elastic toe straps, and will be switching to them soon.

10 minutes ago, beansbats said:

I am currently using the Smart Toe straps, they are a great improvement over the gen1.  What size shoe do you wear?  I'm a 12, and have no problem with the Smart Toe length.  Having said that, I make my own HAL style elastic toe straps, and will be switching to them soon.

Thanks! I wear a 10.5 so I should be good. I was just wondering since I like a decent amount of slack (maybe 2" to 2.5") in the traditional skate lace toe ties. I like the way the pad "rebounds" back into position with the elastic style but just don't like em that tight.

13 minutes ago, Cruskater said:

Thanks! I wear a 10.5 so I should be good. I was just wondering since I like a decent amount of slack (maybe 2" to 2.5") in the traditional skate lace toe ties. I like the way the pad "rebounds" back into position with the elastic style but just don't like em that tight.

This is one of the best things about the Smart Toe. I use skate lace to attach mine to the toe bridge and I used about 2” of knots between the bridge and the Smart Toe. It’s the perfect mix of slack and elasticity. If it’s not clear what I mean I can try to take a picture. I’m very happy with this setup. 

18 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

This is one of the best things about the Smart Toe. I use skate lace to attach mine to the toe bridge and I used about 2” of knots between the bridge and the Smart Toe. It’s the perfect mix of slack and elasticity. If it’s not clear what I mean I can try to take a picture. I’m very happy with this setup. 

Doesn’t that kind of defeat the point?

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Doesn’t that kind of defeat the point?

No! It just means I have some rigid slack built in before the elastic "engages". It has the same feeling as a lace toe tie with slack while standing, but when I go down for butterfly slides I get the freedom of movement that the elastic provides.

A big benefit of the slack is easier post integration too.

3 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

No! It just means I have some rigid slack built in before the elastic "engages". It has the same feeling as a lace toe tie with slack while standing, but when I go down for butterfly slides I get the freedom of movement that the elastic provides.

Alrighty, as long as it works for you I guess :) 

14 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Can you post photo please? Sounds interesting to try, but can´t imagine how it realy looks.

5 hours ago, mik said:

Can you post photo please? Sounds interesting to try, but can´t imagine how it realy looks.

@Punisher GoalieI'd love to see a pic of the setup if you can get one before hitting the ice some night. Sounds like something I would try. I hate toe ties but they're the only thing I've found other than connecting two toe hook connectors back to back (with a zip tie) that gives me slack and that slight elasticky connection

Hey guys. I've been playing around with the Optik customizer waaaay to much lately but have a knee stack question! For any guys who have the Optiks, which knee stack did you choose, regular or stiff? 

My Sub 2's have a fairly tall knee stack that I would describe as medium stiffness. I tried the 1x and it was similar little softer than the 1s (knee stacks seemed like landing on pavement). 

Archived